Girly newb =) 2.0TFSI(211) vs 2.0TDI (143) vs 2.0TDI (170) vs 2.7TDI (190)

I have a A4 B8 2009 2.0 tfsi.

Has 110,000 on the clock and runs sweet as a nut.

It does use oil, I put in 1ltr every 1000 miles but i just bought in bulk online and top up when needed. Works out at about £120 for the year in total so not the end if the world really :)

I also get about 44mpg on motorway journey sat at about 80mph

The only thing i'd like to add here, don't take the listing price as final price. With a 16k budget I personally would be looking upto 17-17.5K. No harm in making an offer you have nothing to loose, I did on my current car and ended up getting well over 1k off what it was advertised for.

IMO the petrol is a good choice of reasonable economy, decent performance and a nice sound. Also if you can find a quattro, i'd go for one of them too.

I have the 2.7 Tdi S-line, I wanted a V6 diesel for refinement and economy, I nearly always get 500 miles out of a tank, but I don’t drive hard, the multitronic gearbox is great, but I know some don’t like them.

It’s a good compromise I think, smooth/economical & powerful enough, and I don’t think I would want a petrol in its place, thats just my choice though.

And with a tuning box, they can go up to 230-250bhp on some.

The 2.0TFSI is a great engine and if you get post 2010, then you shouldn't have to worry about the oil problems as they were rectified in those years. I can get 35 up to 42 mpg in mine which is the same as the 2.0 TDI. I do around the same mileage as you and I'm so glad I got the tfsi.

Hi Miss Cat,

Having recently purchased a 2.0 TDI 143ps Stop/Start and I have to say if I were going to buy an A4 today I would either go for an FSI, a 170 TDI, or a bigger engine. The 140 TDI was OK on the initial test drives I did but having lived with it for 8 weeks I would say this:

The 2.0 140 TDI is pretty awful on the whole when you think what it easily could be. It's over cooled for a start. Sluggish low end, woeful mpg compared to similar size engines from other VAG marques, and the 6 speed manual ratio is way too close. I always feel like I need a 7th as 6th seems to sit where 5 is on any other manual box I've driven (this may be true of them all though). Without the DPF the 140 TDI may well be a nice engine but removing the DPF has been illegal since Feb. My feeling is that getting rid of the DPF would really help it.

TDI 140 does no better than the FSI in fuel economy and it lacks grunt lower down. It's great when you're up to speed and boot it but it drags itself up from zero to 2000 revs like me on a Monday morning. Given the higher price of diesel - don't touch it with a barge pole. Go for bigger engine or petrol. You'll definitely have a nicer time driving it and you won't feel cheated every time you fill up (maybe that should say you'll feel less cheated).

Don't get me wrong, I like my 2.0 TDI 140 well enough but it really lacks something. I've been diagnosing, and tweaking, and measuring, and testing looking for the cause of it's lack lustre personality when I should have been driving it. The conclusion I've come to is my car has nothing at all wrong with it, it was actually designed to be this boring ;-)

Hey, wanna buy mine? It's great!

Reactions: CHEZ
The 2.0TFSI is a great engine and if you get post 2010, then you shouldn't have to worry about the oil problems as they were rectified in those years. I can get 35 up to 42 mpg in mine which is the same as the 2.0 TDI. I do around the same mileage as you and I'm so glad I got the tfsi.

That's not the same mpg as my 2.0 TDi 170PS. I have to drive it like I stole it to get under 40mpg.

Reactions: BigGreg
All comes down to how important MPG is to you personally. If you can afford the fuel then go for the petrol.

Mid 30's is a bit poor for only 211PS output though.

If I were personally doing 12k+ miles I'd be going diesel. The 170PS when Revo'd hit 210bhp 320lb/ft.

I would luv a 170ps to remap to 210ps but they are so rare in the used market...especially a red or white one :(

lol, that's what happens when a girlie posts :-D

the Black Widow (2.0 TFSI) uses about a litre of oil around mebbes 1200~1500 miles from my records, i was told that was about normal for that engine and should bed in/reduce later. only done 21k miles in her so far.

I be happy with this return! as long as the car does not break down on me hehe

I not got much to add except, get the V6

this the 2.7tdi and 3.0tdi??

I have a A4 B8 2009 2.0 tfsi.

Has 110,000 on the clock and runs sweet as a nut.

It does use oil, I put in 1ltr every 1000 miles but i just bought in bulk online and top up when needed. Works out at about £120 for the year in total so not the end if the world really :)

I also get about 44mpg on motorway journey sat at about 80mph

I be happy with 1lt oil per 1k-ish miles but im worried that all pre 2010 A4's need to end up having the 'fix' done....has yours been into audi for works??

The only thing i'd like to add here, don't take the listing price as final price. With a 16k budget I personally would be looking upto 17-17.5K. No harm in making an offer you have nothing to loose, I did on my current car and ended up getting well over 1k off what it was advertised for.

IMO the petrol is a good choice of reasonable economy, decent performance and a nice sound. Also if you can find a quattro, i'd go for one of them too.

Id bear that in mind when i got AUC shopping tomorrow hehe...i show them your quote here and hope they will listen ha ha.....

the mpg drop quite a bit with the quattro??

I have the 2.7 Tdi S-line, I wanted a V6 diesel for refinement and economy, I nearly always get 500 miles out of a tank, but I don’t drive hard, the multitronic gearbox is great, but I know some don’t like them.

It’s a good compromise I think, smooth/economical & powerful enough, and I don’t think I would want a petrol in its place, thats just my choice though.

And with a tuning box, they can go up to 230-250bhp on some.

Unfortunately there is not many 2.7tdi S-lines out there =( do u think the auto box responsive? also does it have like a sport/steptronic mode? or does it have paddles??

does post 2010 mean its the facelift? did u get this info from a reliable source? if so, my worries about buying a TFSI would be removed if i just aim for a post 2010 shape wwweeeeeeeeee hahahahah.....

btw, it was your thread about the oil consumption that really scared me hehe....

:sign_welcome:

Hi Miss Cat,

Having recently purchased a 2.0 TDI 143ps Stop/Start and I have to say if I were going to buy an A4 today I would either go for an FSI, a 170 TDI, or a bigger engine. The 140 TDI was OK on the initial test drives I did but having lived with it for 8 weeks I would say this:

The 2.0 140 TDI is pretty awful on the whole when you think what it easily could be. It's over cooled for a start. Sluggish low end, woeful mpg compared to similar size engines from other VAG marques, and the 6 speed manual ratio is way too close. I always feel like I need a 7th as 6th seems to sit where 5 is on any other manual box I've driven (this may be true of them all though). Without the DPF the 140 TDI may well be a nice engine but removing the DPF has been illegal since Feb. My feeling is that getting rid of the DPF would really help it.

TDI 140 does no better than the FSI in fuel economy and it lacks grunt lower down. It's great when you're up to speed and boot it but it drags itself up from zero to 2000 revs like me on a Monday morning. Given the higher price of diesel - don't touch it with a barge pole. Go for bigger engine or petrol. You'll definitely have a nicer time driving it and you won't feel cheated every time you fill up (maybe that should say you'll feel less cheated).

Don't get me wrong, I like my 2.0 TDI 140 well enough but it really lacks something. I've been diagnosing, and tweaking, and measuring, and testing looking for the cause of it's lack lustre personality when I should have been driving it. The conclusion I've come to is my car has nothing at all wrong with it, it was actually designed to be this boring ;-)

Hey, wanna buy mine? It's great!

Thanks for your honest opinion! and its really helped me delete that shape from my shortlist! maybe u should remap yours? =P

Thanks for the offer...would u take 2k for it?? :p

Your best bet for a good reduction is to go in with plenty of research and facts that they cannot dispute. Get prices for equivalant cars from main dealerts (AUC is possible) within 100miles of the dealership you are in. Go on to CAP Automotive - For Smarter Automotive Decisions and do a free valuation on the car you are looking to buy, add in all the options and mileage and print it out.

This will give a range of prices for you to show them and a bargaining chip.

Try to go towards the end of the month, and a week day if you can, when they are slow on foot fall and want to get their figures up.

Price isn't the only thing to consider, if they will not knock much off then try to get the PX value (assuming you are px'ing) of yours up a bit and get them to chuck in some goodies such as a Service Plan or some tax.

I managed to get just under 10% off the list price of my car (used) from a main dealer as well as tax, good tyres and half a tank of juice. Reasearch, evidence and go in with balls and you will be rewarded :rock:

Thanks for your honest opinion! and its really helped me delete that shape from my shortlist! maybe u should remap yours? =P

Thanks for the offer...would u take 2k for it?? :p

Behave yourself ;-)

It's not always about the bhp, depends on the torque aswell.... you can have a low hp high torque car and feel like you're sitting in a rocket :)

bhp is the end destination
torque is how you get there

Exactly what I've been trying to tell a mate who's wanting to sell his lovely R32 for a chavy impreza as he says can be 400bhp easy lol but I'm trying to tell him BHP isn't everything when my car is finished it should be around 320bhp with over 500 ft lb torque so it will feel to pull really well. And its only a 2.0tdi lol

It should pull well as long as it's perfectly dry and you are going straight ahead. 300bhp plus diesels in FWD cars can be interesting especially in the damp/wet.

Karl.

I've driven quite a few of Audi's 170bhp diesel models and they are nice, but it's my car that always puts a bigger smile on my face regarding performance. Where the diesel runs out of steam, the petrol turbo just keeps pulling.

There is a common problem with oil, something I am currently dealing with. The advice from Audi is it's mainly their 2009/2010 models, so suggest you avoid these or check the engine has been repaired.

I have a 2.0tfsi, I had the oil issue, ( see engine rebuild@ 68k thread in B8 section) since the repair I have used next to no oil at all. Covered 10k before my recent service and I expect I could have covered 20k before the car showed low oil. Audi are aware of the issue so my advice if you looked to purchase a used 2.0tfsi would be to ensure it has full audi service history. This appears to be key with how audi will contribute repairing the engine. Even better would be to get an approved used car from Audi themselves. Please note though if the oil consumption is over 1l per 1000-1200 miles audi won't contribute as this is within their 'normal consumption figures'. Mine for your information was consuming 1l per 500-600 miles.

Engine is great, I've had higher hp cars before but this one has great torque in standard form which suggests it's more powerfull than figures suggest. Always achieve minimum 35mpg. Over 40 on the motorway.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
"I be happy with 1lt oil per 1k-ish miles but im worried that all pre 2010 A4's need to end up having the 'fix' done....has yours been into audi for works??"

Nope, only thing it's been In for was the engine pressure valve needed replacing. Was using about 1ltr of oil for 450miles and loss of power. Had this valve changed at audi and pulls like a train again and oil up to 1ltr per 1000 miles. Cost about £80 for the work In total.

I'll add in my input.

I have the 3.0 tdi quattro b8. I was also torn between the 2.0t petrol and a diesel. I think they're both good but in the end it came down to preference for me and the oil consumption and possible engine rebuild worried me with the 2.0t so that swayed my decision, plus I've always been a derv fan.

My engine had 240ps and 500nm torque as standard (not remapped yet). It pulls like an absolute train!!
Figures on Parker's is 0-60 in 5.9-6.0 seconds and top speed limited to 155. Enough for me. With a remap, obviously a lot quicker and the plus point of dervs is the mid range pull and you won't be disappointed.

The engine doesn't sound like a diesel at all and IMO sounds pretty awesome. If you google exhausts for the 3.0tdi, they actually sound a lot like a v8. Very strange but nice.

Obviously you get the quattro system to get all that power down too.

Mpg wise I am getting between 40-45 mpg (mixed driving like a granny!!)
Normal town driving I average 35mpg (occasional quick blasts etc). On a long motorway run at 70 mpg I get between 45 and I've even seen over 50 mpg average. Not bad for a large powerful heavy diesel v6 with quattro!

The 3.0 engine is pretty bomb proof. People will scare you with DPF worries but these are more of a problem with the 2.0 tdi engine. The positioning on the 3.0 tdi makes it much less prone to issues.
And if you do have problems, you always have the option to get any well know tuner to gut the DPF but leave the case in place. That way there's no mot failure because it's only a visual check :)

"...no mot failure because it's only a visual test"

Possibly, until they boot the throttle till the govorner Kicks in four items to measure soot and smoke. After they see a patch like chimney sweeps ar*e appear on the floor they might twig. :)

My guess is pretty soon some sort of check with computer logging with access to VIN databases will be introduced. They'll know. You can't sneeze these days without someone in Whitehall counting it. Think about it, it's a license to print money. They are not going to leave it to visual inspection alone for long.

That's not the same mpg as my 2.0 TDi 170PS. I have to drive it like I stole it to get under 40mpg.

Most owners on here say they get under so was just quoting them. I had that engine in the A6, and granted its a bigger, heavier car, but it was dreadful mpg for a TDI!

I'll add in my input.

I have the 3.0 tdi quattro b8. I was also torn between the 2.0t petrol and a diesel. I think they're both good but in the end it came down to preference for me and the oil consumption and possible engine rebuild worried me with the 2.0t so that swayed my decision, plus I've always been a derv fan.

My engine had 240ps and 500nm torque as standard (not remapped yet). It pulls like an absolute train!!
Figures on Parker's is 0-60 in 5.9-6.0 seconds and top speed limited to 155. Enough for me. With a remap, obviously a lot quicker and the plus point of dervs is the mid range pull and you won't be disappointed.

The engine doesn't sound like a diesel at all and IMO sounds pretty awesome. If you google exhausts for the 3.0tdi, they actually sound a lot like a v8. Very strange but nice.

Normal town driving I average 35mpg (occasional quick blasts etc). On a long motorway run at 70 mpg I get between 45 and I've even seen over 50 mpg average. Not bad for a large powerful heavy diesel v6 with quattro!

The 3.0 engine is pretty bomb proof. People will scare you with DPF worries but these are more of a problem with the 2.0 tdi engine. The positioning on the 3.0 tdi makes it much less prone to issues.
And if you do have problems, you always have the option to get any well know tuner to gut the DPF but leave the case in place. That way there's no mot failure because it's only a visual check :)

Good choice! After the 2.0T, the 2.0TDI just doesn't do anything for me. I'm not interested in remaps etc, so my next choice will be the 3.0TDI. It's good to hear they are good engines because I am really starting to doubt the quality of Audi!

"...no mot failure because it's only a visual test"

Possibly, until they boot the throttle till the govorner Kicks in four items to measure soot and smoke. After they see a patch like chimney sweeps ar*e appear on the floor they might twig. :)

My guess is pretty soon some sort of check with computer logging with access to VIN databases will be introduced. They'll know. You can't sneeze these days without someone in Whitehall counting it. Think about it, it's a license to print money. They are not going to leave it to visual inspection alone for long.

The thing is that there are so many rules in mots for both petrol and Diesel engined vehicles that just cannot be checked with an mot and these haven't been changed.

I've been reading over the last few days in a threat about hid lights and mots. It should be a failure that a car doesn't have headlight washers and auto beam adjustment because it's law that hid vehicles must have them but it's not because they can only fail if the parts are there but defective. They cannot fail for them just being missing.

DPFs can only be visually checked and mot testers cannot start removing parts to check.
My exhausts face outwards (not down) so there wouldn't be any dust on the floor. It will pass the soot test easily because that's an outdated test and old 306 1.9 diesels can pass that so any car would.

The amount of hoops that have to be jumped through in order to change mot requirements is huge. I can't see it happening.

I was lucky, Audi paid the full cost. In the States Audi is facing the possibility of major law suits. They are fixing most of the "stock" cars free.

Most owners on here say they get under so was just quoting them. I had that engine in the A6, and granted its a bigger, heavier car, but it was dreadful mpg for a TDI!

C6 140PS? They were non-CR so wouldn't surprise me.

I've only just started using Fuelly so I can't back up with any evidence yet but tank to tank I regularly see 600miles on the trip and that's a good mix of town and motorway. Usual fill ups are 60Litres so that's an effective mpg of 45.

Your best bet for a good reduction is to go in with plenty of research and facts that they cannot dispute. Get prices for equivalant cars from main dealerts (AUC is possible) within 100miles of the dealership you are in. Go on to CAP Automotive - For Smarter Automotive Decisions and do a free valuation on the car you are looking to buy, add in all the options and mileage and print it out.

This will give a range of prices for you to show them and a bargaining chip.

Try to go towards the end of the month, and a week day if you can, when they are slow on foot fall and want to get their figures up.

Price isn't the only thing to consider, if they will not knock much off then try to get the PX value (assuming you are px'ing) of yours up a bit and get them to chuck in some goodies such as a Service Plan or some tax.

I managed to get just under 10% off the list price of my car (used) from a main dealer as well as tax, good tyres and half a tank of juice. Reasearch, evidence and go in with balls and you will be rewarded :rock:

woowee! this will help me bargain better if i save a bit of money from your advise....you well due a free pint from me =P

Behave yourself ;-)

oooooo matron....hehe

I've driven quite a few of Audi's 170bhp diesel models and they are nice, but it's my car that always puts a bigger smile on my face regarding performance. Where the diesel runs out of steam, the petrol turbo just keeps pulling.

There is a common problem with oil, something I am currently dealing with. The advice from Audi is it's mainly their 2009/2010 models, so suggest you avoid these or check the engine has been repaired.

how does the 2.0T torque feel compared to the 2.0TDI? i test drove the 170bhp today and it pulled very well and i was very happy with it...be driving the 2.0T tomorrow =D

Did u speak to your local Audi about the issue? i was thinking i may email head office for their advice....how is your 'fix' getting on??

I have a 2.0tfsi, I had the oil issue, ( see engine rebuild@ 68k thread in B8 section) since the repair I have used next to no oil at all. Covered 10k before my recent service and I expect I could have covered 20k before the car showed low oil. Audi are aware of the issue so my advice if you looked to purchase a used 2.0tfsi would be to ensure it has full audi service history. This appears to be key with how audi will contribute repairing the engine. Even better would be to get an approved used car from Audi themselves. Please note though if the oil consumption is over 1l per 1000-1200 miles audi won't contribute as this is within their 'normal consumption figures'. Mine for your information was consuming 1l per 500-600 miles.

Engine is great, I've had higher hp cars before but this one has great torque in standard form which suggests it's more powerfull than figures suggest. Always achieve minimum 35mpg. Over 40 on the motorway.

did yours have full audi service history? Audi going to contribute towards your fix??

"I be happy with 1lt oil per 1k-ish miles but im worried that all pre 2010 A4's need to end up having the 'fix' done....has yours been into audi for works??"

Nope, only thing it's been In for was the engine pressure valve needed replacing. Was using about 1ltr of oil for 450miles and loss of power. Had this valve changed at audi and pulls like a train again and oil up to 1ltr per 1000 miles. Cost about £80 for the work In total.

so u been okay so far! fingers x there are no nasty bumps ahead =D xxx

I'll add in my input.

I would luv a 3.0 TDI but my budget of 16k does not stretch to that shape...especially the S-Line

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR LOVELY REPLIES =D

Miss Cat xxx

Mine did have full Audi history but I was out of warranty. However I effectively paid 1/3 of the repair after a good will contribution from Audi. Some have got it done for free but i couldn't unfortunately is luck of the draw with the dealers as well as Audi. A fair amount of money but i could have been faced with a lot more. Repair comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

I am glad i had it done as the engine now at 80k effectively only has 10k on the new internals which should give me a few years trouble free motoring now. The A4 is the only car i haven't got bored of and coming up to 3 years of ownership i still love it. Normally i would be looking for a replacement after 3 years.

Below is proof the 2.0T can be fairly economical.

Good luck test driving the 2.0T tomorrow.

You can get a B8 3.0 tdi for less than 16K. The problem is there are not many of them around, I had to search for a while before finding mine, granted it's an SE but it came with S line alcantara leather seats and S line 18 inch wheels. The only thing it's missing really is the lights. I can live with that especially as it cost a lot less.

Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro SE 4dr

Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro S Line 4dr Tip Auto

Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

Karl.

Unfortunately the ones you have linked are over my ideal mileage...im looking for something under 60k! Thanks anyways =D

Mine did have full Audi history but I was out of warranty. However I effectively paid 1/3 of the repair after a good will contribution from Audi. Some have got it done for free but i couldn't unfortunately is luck of the draw with the dealers as well as Audi. A fair amount of money but i could have been faced with a lot more. Repair comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

I am glad i had it done as the engine now at 80k effectively only has 10k on the new internals which should give me a few years trouble free motoring now. The A4 is the only car i haven't got bored of and coming up to 3 years of ownership i still love it. Normally i would be looking for a replacement after 3 years.

Below is proof the 2.0T can be fairly economical.

Good luck test driving the 2.0T tomorrow.

Guess you still got a good deal! and now its fixed, its brill to know that its all done =)

------------------------------

What do people think of these?

Vehicle View - Audi A4 2.0 T FSI (211 PS) S-Line Special Edition - Wakefield

Vehicle View - Audi A4 2.7 TDI (190 PS) S-Line - Nottingham

2 different cars. A manual petrol and an auto diesel :) Depends what you want and the mileage you will do. I can't remember if you have mentioned you annual mileage yet, but short trips and less miles play havoc with diesels. The 2.7 looks like the better overall package though given the mileage and the options...

......it says that the 2.7 has MMI high and HDD NAV - a real plus as you can store music on the jukebox and the MMI system is great. However, unless I'm being dense I can't see it on the actual pics of the car.....so double check the options.

Personally I'd got for a petrol because I prefer them, but that's just me :)

2 different cars. A manual petrol and an auto diesel :) Depends what you want and the mileage you will do. I can't remember if you have mentioned you annual mileage yet, but short trips and less miles play havoc with diesels. The 2.7 looks like the better overall package though given the mileage and the options...

......it says that the 2.7 has MMI high and HDD NAV - a real plus as you can store music on the jukebox and the MMI system is great. However, unless I'm being dense I can't see it on the actual pics of the car.....so double check the options.

Personally I'd got for a petrol because I prefer them, but that's just me :)

I do on average 12k miles a year....I do free lance work so its hard to say where I be as I do short term contracts for work...atm ive been working like 5 miles away from home for the past 6 months so the diesel may not be suited to this but my next place of work cold be like 40-60 miles away...its too hard to determine :(

Also the colour of the 2.7TDI isnt black or red hehe...but i love the exhaust setup, low mileage and the fact its a v6?

Hmmm,

MPG wise there aint much difference between the 2, the diesel is actually more to tax and service (and no doubt insure). The petrol will sound nicer and it's faster.....and it's white. It also have twice the mileage.

These are things for you to weigh up the pros and cons of. Personally, I'd decide on whether you want petrol or diesel and then go from there so to you can narrow the search and do a decent comparision. 12k is about the point where diesels start to become worth is, any less and I'd not even consider it.

At the moment you are comparing oranges and apples; they are both round and comes from trees, but they aint the same.

how does the 2.0T torque feel compared to the 2.0TDI? i test drove the 170bhp today and it pulled very well and i was very happy with it...be driving the 2.0T tomorrow =D

Torque wise, they are very similar, just delivered slightly differently. I felt there was a lot more torque lag with the diesel, but it picks up very well. Like a true petrol you have to work it a bit harder, but nothing like my V6 convertible where it doesn't come lively until at least 2500-3000 revs.

Particularly on windy country roads and around town I feel you have to use the gears more in the diesel. The petrol is quite happy to pull off in 3rd below 15mph, but obviously there is some turbo lag if you drive it this way.

Performance wise, when you push the diesel hard it takes off, but before you know it, your wondering where the power went. The diesel runs out of steam around 3500-4000 revs whereas with the petrol you get good pull though to 4000 revs and it continues pulling harder through to 6000-6500 revs with the petrol. The pulling power is a lot smoother, yet my wife always complains when I pull off hard that her stomachs left behind!

I was talking to my father last night about how annoying the engine issue is because by far this is the best car I have owned. I was going to buy a warranty last night, but now I'm wondering whether to phone Cardiff Audi (my fathers local garage) to see what they say. I can quite easily work from there for a couple of days if there is a dramatic reduction in price. My only concern is I'm driving to Scotland for a wedding next week I've bought 4l of oil just in case!

I would luv a 3.0 TDI but my budget of 16k does not stretch to that shape...especially the S-Line

I'm sure a 3.0 tdi will come along within your range at some point. It's just a shame that they're quite rare.
I bought mine a year ago from Stansted Audi for 17k (bargained it down from 18k) with a whole heap of factory extras and on 30k on clock.

It's a year on, I'm sure you'll be able to get one in your budget.

But If you don't want to wait, test drive the 2.0t and see how it goes. Bargain some kind of extended 2 yr warranty as part of the package (because you've heard about the issues) and any sign of high oil usage, take it to be warranty repaired :)

If you are buying a petrol look into whether it has had the cam belt changed. I believe it should be changed something like every 60-75K miles or 4 years.
The V6 diesels have a chain thats good for 200K with regular oil changes.

Karl.

C6 140PS? They were non-CR so wouldn't surprise me.

I've only just started using Fuelly so I can't back up with any evidence yet but tank to tank I regularly see 600miles on the trip and that's a good mix of town and motorway. Usual fill ups are 60Litres so that's an effective mpg of 45.

The new model which ever one that is.

If you are buying a petrol look into whether it has had the cam belt changed. I believe it should be changed something like every 60-75K miles or 4 years.

Karl.

The petrol has a chain so doesn't need replaced!

Reactions: CHEZ
The 2.0tdi is nippy and has good performance but the 2.0tfsi is so much better and faster. It's accelerates a lot quicker and makes a lovely noise!

Reactions: Macdoon

Karl.

2.0T is chain driven

Hmmm,

MPG wise there aint much difference between the 2, the diesel is actually more to tax and service (and no doubt insure). The petrol will sound nicer and it's faster.....and it's white. It also have twice the mileage.

These are things for you to weigh up the pros and cons of. Personally, I'd decide on whether you want petrol or diesel and then go from there so to you can narrow the search and do a decent comparision. 12k is about the point where diesels start to become worth is, any less and I'd not even consider it.

At the moment you are comparing oranges and apples; they are both round and comes from trees, but they aint the same.

Thanks for the good advice! U have sure straighten my mind about how to approach it...just now need to decide diesel or petrol =D

Torque wise, they are very similar, just delivered slightly differently. I felt there was a lot more torque lag with the diesel, but it picks up very well. Like a true petrol you have to work it a bit harder, but nothing like my V6 convertible where it doesn't come lively until at least 2500-3000 revs.

Particularly on windy country roads and around town I feel you have to use the gears more in the diesel. The petrol is quite happy to pull off in 3rd below 15mph, but obviously there is some turbo lag if you drive it this way.

Performance wise, when you push the diesel hard it takes off, but before you know it, your wondering where the power went. The diesel runs out of steam around 3500-4000 revs whereas with the petrol you get good pull though to 4000 revs and it continues pulling harder through to 6000-6500 revs with the petrol. The pulling power is a lot smoother, yet my wife always complains when I pull off hard that her stomachs left behind!

I was talking to my father last night about how annoying the engine issue is because by far this is the best car I have owned. I was going to buy a warranty last night, but now I'm wondering whether to phone Cardiff Audi (my fathers local garage) to see what they say. I can quite easily work from there for a couple of days if there is a dramatic reduction in price. My only concern is I'm driving to Scotland for a wedding next week I've bought 4l of oil just in case!

Your description sounds just like mine current 320D...it sure does pick up quick but sometimes it does run out of breath....

good luck on your trip! btw what oil do u use? ive read it should be castrol edge 5w-30?

I'm sure a 3.0 tdi will come along within your range at some point. It's just a shame that they're quite rare.
I bought mine a year ago from Stansted Audi for 17k (bargained it down from 18k) with a whole heap of factory extras and on 30k on clock.

It's a year on, I'm sure you'll be able to get one in your budget.

But If you don't want to wait, test drive the 2.0t and see how it goes. Bargain some kind of extended 2 yr warranty as part of the package (because you've heard about the issues) and any sign of high oil usage, take it to be warranty repaired :)

woo! good shout on the reduction! and for a 30k sample as well! what did you say to them to get the reduction? hehe

is it a S-line you drive?

The 2.0tdi is nippy and has good performance but the 2.0tfsi is so much better and faster. It's accelerates a lot quicker and makes a lovely noise!

The noise is such a big factor for me hehehe....was suppose to drive one today but it got sold when i called them in the morning...booooo

2.0T is chain driven

Thanks for confirming....this mean is more reliable yes? so no changing as well for like 200k or sth? =p

good luck on your trip! btw what oil do u use? ive read it should be castrol edge 5w-30?=p

I've just hired a car for my trip because I didn't want to take the risk. I've gone for a 2.0TDI!, but it's an automatic so I don't have to worry about changing gears!!!

You can use 5w-30 although they recommend 5w-40

Last edited:
I've just hired a car for my trip because I didn't want to take the risk. I've gone for a 2.0TDI!, but it's an automatic so I don't have to worry about changing gears!!!

You can use 5w-30 although they recommend 5w-40

You actually having the oil issue with your car right now?

Miss Cat xxx