best products for Black A3 Sportback?

bigbob

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not an expert at detailing, but have washed/polished my previous cars and do have some Auto Glym and Meguiars left in the garage.

Now that I have a black A3, whats the best stuff to use? I want a mild polish and a good wax to really bring the black to life. Also, alloy cleaner.

Many thanks.

Hi m8, basically ul get fantastic results with a glaze and 2 coats of wax.
Bit of a misconception with polish is with the likes of autoglym srp,really a polish is for hand or machine that corrects defects and wipes off.
Glazes I'd recommend are poor boys black hole or autobrite cherry glaze.
Both have fillers in it for imperfections although judging by all the pics iv seen the cherry glaze looks better.
Only one wax I'd use for black and that's Angelwax Dark Angel. Designed for black cars.
As for the shampoo iv used the autoglym and I liked it but I now use Angelwax shampoo.
Plenty companies out there now doing fantastic products very cheap but u can still spend a fortune!
Welcome to the bottomless pit of detailing when u get the bug lol.
Hope this helps :)

everyone raves about PB black hole personally i don't see it. I want to try the AB cherry stuff might see if its in the weekend sale.
Maxolen super3in1 is very good, underated and not DW fashionable but well worth a look.
wax i like the AW dark angel and zymol carbon

Just picked up my Brilliant Black A3 .... Needs a proper clean.. Found so much glue, water marks and areas where the polish was not wiped off !! I used to prep cars for a Vauxhall dealer in my youth... Would never have let a car go out to a customer in that state ... Anyway it looks like my weekend will be taken up given it as good a clean as I can.

There is a world of difference between how I used to clean cars and detailing as I have found out from many forums... So this is new to me as we'll...

I have ValetPro PH neutral snow foam
Karcher snow foam lance
Lambs wool wash mitt
2 buckets
Autoglym shampoo
Mnoster purple drying towel
Poor boys Black Hole glaze
Sponge applicators
Natty's Blue Paste.
Mega Endurance tyre gel
Autoglym Alloy wheel sealant
Autoglym Fabric Protector
Megs glass cleaner
Loads of microfibres towels/cloths

Is that everything?

Is the blue paste wax any good for black ?

That looks spot on Pushed.
Personally I don't like the poorboys wax/ paste.
I bought the same combo black hole and wax and to be fair Iv used them both once.
U can use it for black cars.
Angelwax Dark Angel is a lot better tho, treat yourself ;)

I used this
Blackfire BlackICE Whiplash Kit | Hybrid Wax Kit For Dark Cars
on my then eight year old S3 and got this

P1000027-1.jpg

Reactions: RobbieWebs
That looks spot on Pushed.
Personally I don't like the poorboys wax/ paste.
I bought the same combo black hole and wax and to be fair Iv used them both once.
U can use it for black cars.
Angelwax Dark Angel is a lot better tho, treat yourself ;)

Thanks - I will try the poorboys as I have it already and I want to clean it this weekend

But will definitely look into the Angelwax .. need to try and get it so the missus does not find out .. spent loads so far getting ready for when I picked the car up !! ... have to keep sneaking bits in the house so she does not know LOL

One other question - just had a look at AngelWax Dark Angel... the web site states it "enrich dark paint surfaces by masking light swirls and scratches" ..

Does this mean that I would not need to apply a glaze like Poorboys Black Hole... which has fillers for this purpose as well ?

Sorry for all the equestions..... just so much to learn :)

Last edited:
U don't have to tell me about sneaking stuff, I had a package come this morning and the mrs flipped when she opened it lol.
If the paint has imperfections by all means use poor boys bh, I would if u have it already, it leaves a. Superb finish :)
As for AW dark angel, take it from me 2 coats will leave a fantastic finish and cover a lot of imperfections plus protect the car for 3 months.
I use AW QED (quick detailer) after every wash to top up the wax, it works a treat :)
A few pics of my bonnet before and after claying and 2 coats of AW dark angel, no poorboys or glazes.

null_zps1b68523b.jpg

null_zpsdf380536.jpg

null_zps27c25132.jpg

null_zps79f11830.jpg

null_zpsb988a70b.jpg

null_zps56609373.jpg

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, voorhees and Pushed
wow.. makes a huge difference....

I only have the dealers free swirl marks at the moment :) so will try the poor boys for now..

But once I can convince her that i am running out and need more I will order some Angelwax LOL

1st attempt at detailing my car today:

some picks

Used the products mentioned before
Valet Pro SNow Foam
Autoglym Shampoo
Poorboys Black Hole
Poorboys Natty Blue Paste
Mags Endurance Tyre Gel
Autoglym Alloy Wheel Sealant

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and RobbieWebs
damn. black car on the way and reading this thread is now gonna cost me over £ 100

were the results achieved in the photos posted by hand or machine ?

damn. black car on the way and reading this thread is now gonna cost me over £ 100

were the results achieved in the photos posted by hand or machine ?

No chance mate I can supply you with all the products you need for about £75. Ask around you can get an awful of Angelwax products for £75 and thats including a 200ml pot of Dark Angel

Reactions: voorhees
No chance mate I can supply you with all the products you need for about £75. Ask around you can get an awful of Angelwax products for £75 and thats including a 200ml pot of Dark Angel

+1
I can agree with this. Money well spent in my eyes. After this weekends detail (apologies for poor iphone pic)

Reactions: Brodster and Dave-S3