Where do you put your phone?

p1tse

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of mounts as looks odd when phone not in it etc.

So I was thinking as I was stuck in traffic a dock for the iphone 5 modified in the ashtray would work

I could see the phone ring and I sometimes use it for sat nav
Anyone done this?

Although the issue would be as the headphone slot is at the bottom... Hmm?

There is a company in the states that already does inserts for creating iPhone and ipod docks in the ashtray, came across them when looking at mounts for an old phone. Will see if I can find a link, but from memory they were very expensive. Maybe copy it....?

I have an active Broadit dock to the left of my stereo for my Nexus 5.

I had a brodit before but don't like it due to taking up knee space for passenger along with looks to be honest when phone not attached

Thanks in advance

I'm thinking of getting a spare ashtray insert and just drilling a hole to slot the phone in so it just sits in situ for now

Would do it with a dremel but I don't have one

Mine is wired into me head unit through a blue tooth a nokia system. Works great with BlackBerry z10. But then Yeh it is in a windscreen mount

If you are going to get a spare ashtray, maybe buy a cheap ipod/iphone speaker dock and butcher it to use the device seat and built in connector into the modified ashtray?

I would take a photo of where mine sits but I need the phone to take a photo :/

I have one of them spider holders that you bend into shape to hold phones and bend the top 2 legs into the vents.

Mine sits tucked up here, I don't mind the holder. Going to run a cable up behind the dash so when it's plugged in the cable doesn't dangle about the steering wheel/gear stick!

I bought one of these:

Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount and Stand for Smartphones

I hate big bulky mounts, and the attraction of this is that when the phone isn't in it it still looks ok. Unless I'm on a longer journey the phone stays in my pocket or I just put it behind the gearstick in front of the ashtray (the A6 is slightly different). It was quite expensive, but it holds the phone firmly and you can still operate the keys to dial etc without it being "hand held". Link has a picture of it mounted, obviously used the phone to take the below picture...

Wow £20 for that little thing!! Know what ya mean about bulky window mounts though, mine looks ridiculous when its got nothing in, pain in the bum to keep removing it all the time!
It would be ok if Blackberry got the act together and started making car docks for the phones, wouldnt have all the hassel, lol

£20 is a lot, but it does it's job perfectly, is discrete and the build quality is spot on.

Kenu isn't too bulky and bad actually
Also means I don't need to kill the ashtray, in viewable line of sight, and can use on all types of phones and car

Is it easy to attach to car and secure?
Is it stable with phone on with case of different size?

I use a Tetrax Xway clipped onto the centre passenger vent.

Don't buy it in Halfrauds, it's much cheaper on Amazon.

Is it easy to attach to car and secure?
Is it stable with phone on with case of different size?

The beauty of it is that you can swap it from car to car etc, arguably there might be a better "universal" mount out there, but the risk is how it fits to your specific car. It has four legs on the back which rotate around the mount, one pair of lugs have a tighter gap than the other pair to suit different vent thicknesses. Once the mount is pressed in I have never had it work loose, and it holds the phone securely, mine never moves or wobbles.

I have an HTC One with a silicon case on it, and it is about as wide a phone as it would fit, the max measurement are in the advert. Unless you get a tablet sized phone I doubt many phones would be too wide for it. I can't really over emphasise how pleased I am with it, currently 20% off too!

I was lucky and mine came with a built in holder....

Reactions: CHEZ, JudderMan, Jordib and 6 others
I bought one of these:

Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount and Stand for Smartphones

I hate big bulky mounts, and the attraction of this is that when the phone isn't in it it still looks ok. Unless I'm on a longer journey the phone stays in my pocket or I just put it behind the gearstick in front of the ashtray (the A6 is slightly different). It was quite expensive, but it holds the phone firmly and you can still operate the keys to dial etc without it being "hand held". Link has a picture of it mounted, obviously used the phone to take the below picture...

Quite like the look of that James, think i'm gonna try one out. Sick of the phone sliding around, flying out of my pocket, falling under the seat, etc, etc. Not keen on the stick on window types, PITA.

EDIT: Just shown the mrs. she wants one aswell now. kin 'ell :whistle2: 8.4% cashback ucing TCB though :)

Last edited:
Hmm I don't use TCB only quidco

Will do a scour around the net

I don't like it in my pocket as I usually take out when I'm sat down

That was with Mobile Fun, the one quattrojames linked to on his post.

Slightly cheaper on eBay. £18.75 with free shipping..

Last edited:
Reactions: p1tse
WP 20140410 004

Both phone and sat nav are mounted on flat discs which are bonded to the dash. I can't stand seeing mounts suckered onto the windscreen..... awful. I use sat nav most days so tend to leave mounts in place but obviously I can remove them and then just left with two discreet discs.

On a practical and safety point I think it is better to have these items more in your natural eye line rather than down by the ashtray area.

View attachment 31175

Both phone and sat nav are mounted on flat discs which are bonded to the dash. I can't stand seeing mounts suckered onto the windscreen..... awful. I use sat nav most days so tend to leave mounts in place but obviously I can remove them and then just left with two discreet discs.

On a practical and safety point I think it is better to have these items more in your natural eye line rather than down by the ashtray area.

Get ya self a Road Angel, might aswel have the trio up there, my courier vans have less on the dash lol, no wonder the are always lost hahahah.
yeh bit to much for me, but windscreen is starting do me ed in!!

I could do with one. Pretty sure I got caught yesterday by a mobile camera van coming into Shifnal.