Audi Drive Select

Liquidfusion-S3

I fall to peer pressure!
Reaction score
I understand there is a VCDS tweak for ADS however I don't think have this optional extra as a standard on my car and haven't enabled it yet.
Would just like to know if ADS is purely software based or would it of required any additional hardware during the build for it to work?

Apparently it makes steering lighter/harder which would be software, but for things like making suspension firmer or softer wouldn't that be hardware?

Anyone enabled ADS via VCDS and noticed a substantial difference between comfort, dynamic and efficiency?

I have enabled this. It is controlled through the MMI. I did not activate the suspension, as this would not have done anything on my car as I dont have the magnetic suspension set up, but did activate both the engine and steering. It definately feels firmer when you select dynamic, and engine seems more lively. (Or softer if you select comfort).

It will throw a fault code on a scan, but only because its enabled but the actual switch isnt fitted. I ignore it, but you could always fit the switch at a later date if you wanted.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Do you know what it was by default before you enabled it?
Is yours Auto or manual? Mine is manual so wondering how it would affect the engine.

Mine is a manual. By default, mine was on effciency (I think its called something else on the MMI) which is basically a bit of both.

The steering is not actually dynamic (unless your car come with it), but it does stiffen it enough to notice it, allthough obv. not fully dynamic.

Definately worth enabling it. (and your MMI screen looks better on the facelift when you select it!)

Do you know what it was by default before you enabled it?
Is yours Auto or manual? Mine is manual so wondering how it would affect the engine.

Mine we're all set to 2 'default' and I didn't like the heavier steering. With the Dynamic steering there are 2 coding options to make it heavier, 'dynamic' steering is just the new name for 'servotronic' (speed variable steering)

With the Dynamic steering there are 2 coding options to make it heavier, 'dynamic' steering is just the new name for 'servotronic' (speed variable steering)

I thought dynamic steering provides not only speed relative weighting but also adjustable ratio to steering input.

Compared to my old Mercedes I keep understeering with the Audi when it comes to parking which is a problem, hoping that adjusting the ADS will compensate for that, still need to get around to doing that.

I thought dynamic steering provides not only speed relative weighting but also adjustable ratio to steering input.

That's what ADS does, with the concert/symphony system you can only change the input via VCDS unless you spec the 'Charisma switch'. If you have the MMI system you'll be able to change the steering in the 'Individual' settings.

With a concert radio no mmi, is it the same vcds setup. Does the engine dynamic modes improve throttle response on a manual diesel.

Reactions: Kalashnikov
That's what ADS does, with the concert/symphony system you can only change the input via VCDS unless you spec the 'Charisma switch'. If you have the MMI system you'll be able to change the steering in the 'Individual' settings.

ADS does not mandate dynamic steering, nor does VCDS coding alone - dynamic steering and servotonic are not the same thing.

Thanks for info. Probably won't bother doing this, if it does not really make a different on a manual diesel

ADS does not mandate dynamic steering, nor does VCDS coding alone - dynamic steering and servotonic are not the same thing.

'Servotronic' was in the B8 which then changed to 'Dynamic' for the B8.5. There's no difference in the programming for ADS in VCDS. Only difference with dynamic steering is the 'dynamic dampener ' which reacts the same to the ADS stiffness settings as servotronic, it just restricts the amount of turn 'available' e.g 1 turn lock to lock at low speeds 25km/h and 4 turns at motorway speeds. To check if you've got dynamic or not look for your PR CODE sticker for (1N3)

Do you agree?

Alas Toby, still not agreeing.

Good overview of what dynamic steering adds here :

Audi Dynamic Steering A4 S4 A5 S5 Q5 - YouTube

I don't believe Servotronic does anything to adjust the ratio of steering wheel rotation vs angle of road wheels... Dynamic steering does.

Dynamic steering was available as a cost option back on the B8.

I'm still referring to the original post about ADS settings in VCDS which are the same. I agree with you on the hardware as I never said it changed the ratio just the stiffness/lightness, I tried to explain that it takes less turns to turn the wheels. But I wasn't aware that it was an option on the B8 as mine was the upgraded option and it's only servotronic. But I've felt them without either and at low speed they're horrible to park.

I had the ads fitted to mine from the factory when new. Mine is an 09. It obviously has the adjustable dampers and the throttle response changes and the steering changes too. Any way to know if I have dynamic steering or servotronic as listed above?

On your PR codes which are in your manual or in the boot, look for 1N3 if you see this it will be dynamic, and you'll also be able to feel it. When your not moving how many turns does it take to turn lock to lock?

My B8.5 don't have ADS, but it does have steering that is just too sensitive, so I do not need it to be any more sensitive or tighter. Audi have done a real poor job on the steering S/W, the SW campaign that I've I've had done twice somewhat confirms it.

Now what I don't know is what mine would be set to as a car without ADS, if its "Comfort", then I asume I'd only be able to make the steering worse, but if my default is some other "standard", I might be able to "slow" the steering down by choosing the comfort setting.

Anyone attempted this with the B8.5 and know? all I ever see are comments about people wanting too or making the steering stiffer or more precise, I want to go the other way.

On your PR codes which are in your manual or in the boot, look for 1N3 if you see this it will be dynamic, and you'll also be able to feel it. When your not moving how many turns does it take to turn lock to lock?

It doesn't have 1N3 but it does have 1N7. I've looked this up and is listed as dynamic steering.
I've never really done a lock to lock test. Will try later on. What mode should I try it on, comfort , auto or dynamic?

It doesn't have 1N3 but it does have 1N7. I've looked this up and is listed as dynamic steering.
I've never really done a lock to lock test. Will try later on. What mode should I try it on, comfort , auto or dynamic?

That will be the one, probably just a updated part.

My B8.5 don't have ADS, but it does have steering that is just too sensitive, so I do not need it to be any more sensitive or tighter. Audi have done a real poor job on the steering S/W, the SW campaign that I've I've had done twice somewhat confirms it.

Now what I don't know is what mine would be set to as a car without ADS, if its "Comfort", then I asume I'd only be able to make the steering worse, but if my default is some other "standard", I might be able to "slow" the steering down by choosing the comfort setting.

Anyone attempted this with the B8.5 and know? all I ever see are comments about people wanting too or making the steering stiffer or more precise, I want to go the other way.

You can use VCDS to program it, even if you don't have the ADS button! It will make the steering heavier.

You can use VCDS to program it, even if you don't have the ADS button! It will make the steering heavier.

Less sensitive is what I need it to be, not shure if "heavier" is going to help?

Are we saying that ADS only adjusts the weight and not the sensitivity?

I would define them in vehicle steering term as the same thing. For example, I would consider an old non power steered car to have 'heavy' steering, and i would also say it was less sensitive compared to modern cars. I would recommend you change the VCDS coding anyway as you can always just change it back if you don't like it/think it doesn't improve anything. Tick both Byte 7 Bit 4 (Dynamic/Active Steering) and also change Byte 8 Bit 4. Mine turned VERY heavy/less sensitive/slow. Hope that helps mate.

What I was thinking "less sensitive" meant, is that I need less wheel "L or R" movement for any given steering wheel input.

Like you say, it might be worth trying, so thanks for the info.

Ok mate, Servotronic makes the steering easier to turn at variable speeds but has the same amount of turns to go from lock to lock. Dynamic steering amplifies the steering wheels input. E.g. At low speeds/parking you only have to turn the steering wheel one rotation to go lock to lock (lazy) instead of the usual 4 turns.

But yeah just give the coding a try. See how you like it!