Track/Hillclimb A3 1.8t

If we cant reach it when the cage is installed then we will reposition it.

We have the pipe going from the bias valve to a T piece and the across to the left hand side, in hindsight we could have run it along the rear axle.

You're correct, we are using the old master cylinder and the split front/rear. The abs never worked before we stripped it so it wont be missed and should be a bit of fun getting the brakes setup.

Yeah our abs didn't work from day one so thought why bother having it at all. Also with the track tyres on we were getting lots of grip on the front end and with no weight in the back they were locking up very easily at the rear.

Yeah it runs round the whole of the back. And to the left. We wanted it to be as accessable as possible for changing or maintenance.

Can just reach the valve whilst sat but I have got a brake flairing tool so we can make up new pipes when the cage comes into play. Might even bolt it somewhere on the cage.

hahaha, very speed responses lads :laugh: I'm impressed.

I can pretty safely say for certain that you won't be able to reach the bias adjustment with the cage in, and it's location currently may well clash with a cage foot anyway depending on the cage.

Otherwise, good work. I look forward to seeing how you get on :)

As a side note- you'll probably find that your previous rear locking up issue was down to your ABS not working. As standard, rear bias is controlled by the ABS module electronically, known as EBD (Electronic brake distribution). When the module fails totally, EBD also fails, and the rears start locking up pretty quickly!

Me might have it flat out open but we want to have it for safety anyway. Nothing worse then flying found a track with the back end stepping out under braking. We will relocate when cage goes in one day.

We probably responded quickly because not many people comment so we get a bit excited I think.

Reactions: StaceyS3 and Prawn
Sounds fair, I'll respond again just to cheer you up :laugh:

edit: I know what you mean too. Sometimes people respond and chat about the most uninteresting posts, and other times you'll spend a weekend on it and make great progress and get very few replies.

Sodds law I guess :laugh:

We will hopefully have another update tonight or tomorrow night. Is BGW v2 (big awesome wing as I call it) a different wing or just different brackets and position?

That is awesome. BAW v1 going on the mini then? Yeah hopefully get the rest of the brake line Plummed in tonight or tomorrow.

The plan is to be re-built by sunday. Still have a clutch pipe leak issue.

Actually make it a week Sunday, just realised its our brothers stag do Saturday so that sets us back a whole day.

Update...again. Nick did the front brake lines last night so nearly got it all plummed in, think that's about it for now.

Sounds fantastic, been following this for a few days now finally read to the end in the spare minutes I get at work!
How old are you both if you don't mind me asking?
And Great job so far!

Thanks. I'm 25 and Tim is 18. Its not quite as interesting as prawns thread but we are working on it. After all the problems we had in September we lost a bit of love for it but it's back now and we are determined to make it this time. And then develop from there.

Ah I didn't follow the dates of the posts properly! I thought the events were this year, didn't hear about any problems you had.
I'm quite new to the site after only owning my A3 for about a month now (Already want an S3).
You should definitely keep working on it though especially with the amount you must have invested.

Ah we started last year but had a few brake leak issues about 18 hours before a track day in September. We are determined to do this next one tho and hopefully embarrass some cars

Uploadfromtaptalk1430159812355
Uploadfromtaptalk1430159827818
Uploadfromtaptalk1430159842260

Does anyone have Etka? If so does anyone know the part number for the I ring in picture or where I can get a set of these o rings other then from ecs because I'm not paying $80 postage for two little bits of rubber. It is for an 02m gearbox

Hi thanks I think nick has sorted the pipe out now with a bit of modification, will definatly refer back to this incase it doesn't work.

Reactions: Mrharris2
Update- Tonight we stripped the dash out abit to finish off the brakes, Nick has modified the clutch pipe to hopefully fix our clutch leak issue. And think that's about it really.

Coolant pipes have arrived so will be fitting those tonight and get brake system bled

Looking good guys, interesting routing on the brake lines, be good to see some more pictures now it's complete.

I'm going down the same (but slightly different) road with ours, hoses have arrived now and just need time to get to it all made up and fitted now!

Yeah I suppose ours is the cheaper alternative but we don't have hydraulic hand brake. Ours all in including flairing tool about £150. Will be interested to see yours fitted too. Will probably be alot neater then ours.

Uploadfromtaptalk1430292396894

Here is the list of cars coming to our track day. looks like we are honorary porsche for the day.

Unfortunately our replacement downpipe hasn't arrived so the engine refitting looks like it will be a mid week job.

Spent a few hours on the car last night and manage to pick up a glowing hot spanner, so spent most of my time watching Nick take the exhaust studs out. Also had a good 6 hours on it today did a few bits and pieces and managed to saw through my thumb and nail. So all in all the weekend is going spot on.

Reactions: Mrharris2 and Nick_sheep
We were removing the exhaust studs to fit a new downpipe, so we locked two nuts together to undo the stud and we had the spanner, on one of the nuts as we heated it.

So seeing as the exhaust downpipe is causing us copious amounts of problems getting here, I decided with two weeks left to go until the track day that I would put the engine back in after work, so I did because I do what I like. I would put a picture up but its kid of late and I have work in the morning.

Small update intercooler is plumbed in front end is going on as we speak interior is getting put back on. And most the most important bit of this whole project has just been put on.
Uploadfromtaptalk1431181442862

They add power don't they?

They add about 30bhp, I'm still waiting for a reply I sent last year for a replacement stickers

Reactions: Timmy96, Nick_sheep and A3-Lee
We worked till 12 last night (work soon -.- ) and managed to get the car running and road worthy....so we took her for a little blast and must say they power delivery is much smoother with our new intercooler, induction kit and downpipe that actual seals now. She is admittedly a little bit louder then before but not ridicules, just meet to sort a few little things out before she leaves for her first track day next Thursday, but all in all happy the cambelt is done and she runs well.

Intercooler and bumper mods might have been a bit extreme but the slam bar is ruined anyway and so is the front bumper so we thought why not.
Uploadfromtaptalk1431522871945

Trouble is we have less then a week till the track day and wedding this weekend, so we will just have to take it as it is.