Audi 2.0tdi 140

I'm assuming that the injector duty cycle is maxed out at around 230bhp then? I think I need to do some VCDS logging and see how close to max mine are.

What CC are stock injectors? Can they not be increased by using a stronger fuel pressure regulator?

As far as I am aware it is the nozzles of the injectors that limit you to 230bhp, as they just can't flow any more fuel than that.

The uprated ones usually come with a choice of nozzle flow. You run into problems if you go too big, as it becomes difficult to get the car to idle smoothly, as there always seems to be too much fuel.

The uprated injectors are actually stock injector bodies with new nozzles, hence why you need to hand a set back to whoever you buy them off (so they can refurb yours with new nozzles and sell them on).

I also wondered what bigger turbo's would sound like on a diesel (GTB2260VK turbo)

Panel air filter won't make any difference as far as I know.

Not tried a cone filter, so cant comment on noise, but would be wary of heat soak if no heat shield was fitted.

I also wondered what bigger turbo's would sound like on a diesel (GTB2260VK turbo)

There was a video somewhere of a Golf running a big turbo set up on a 140PD, it sounded immense. It was the one running 330bhp I think. If I can find it i'll post a link.

There was a video somewhere of a Golf running a big turbo set up on a 140PD, it sounded immense. It was the one running 330bhp I think. If I can find it i'll post a link.
Crazy. Nice one bro

From Manchester mate wbu?

I'd check out Rick @ Unicorn Motor Developments based just by Stockport for a remap, excellent service and really knows mapping inside out and he is a forum sponsor on here too. I had my 170 DPF removed and remapped by Rick and did about 28K on it with no problem, had it MOT'd just before i sold it and not a advisory on it. Also had my S3 remapped by him and it completely transform the car on both. One thing to note is the 140/170 engines are different.

I like you didn't really like the diesel and as soon as I wasn't doing 30,000 miles a year got rid and got a 2.0TFSI (S3) and I am so happy with it. One thing worth noting is that while remapping significantly improves the drive of a 2.0TDI it doesn't turn it into a petrol. IMO the 2.0T is a cracking engine and like the TDI very susceptible to a remap and makes roughly 240/50bhp from a map alone. However if you were to swap personally I would get a quattro so you can use all the power and avoid wheel spinning. Which in a powerful FWD car is all to easy.

Just my 2p having had a TDI and TFSI (currently).

Mine is 2003 with 131k with dark smole developments remap 45 quid now 188bhp goes like stink pulls hard love cars just goes so much better

Crazy. Nice one bro

Here it is,

Darkside Developments Mk5 Golf 2.0TDi 289bhp VKLR Turbo Chatter - YouTube

289bhp Golf diesel. The noise is compressor surge when lifting off the throttle, as its a ball bearing turbo the compressor continues to spin off throttle causing the chatter noise to reverberate through the air intake and filter. It's quite normal to be honest, even if it sounds like it shouldn't be doing it. It's only a problem if you get that noise whilst on the throttle.

Stetheo,,
Yeh I reckon just get the remap on this and keep it for a few years until insurance is a little more reasonable and then will do the same and go for the s3, just wanted that bit more power while I have this one! Tbh it's enough for what I need it for atm!

Yeah I don't blame you, deffo worth holding out for an S3 IMO. A remap does transform the car and give it a bit of extra poke and I'd at least have a word with Rick see what he's about, a custom map is much better than a generic one.

Yeh definitely
I would never get a generic map! :/ might get a Quote tonight and see what an s3 is on my insurance lol,
Sure it will be fun! :)

Love it... BHP this... BHP that...

Only one person mentioned TORQUE - it's more important in a diesel IMO

If your waiting to top the BHP figure at over 4000rpm, you've already lost the race ;)

Reactions: chris.vincent3 and Big Pumpa
Here it is,

Darkside Developments Mk5 Golf 2.0TDi 289bhp VKLR Turbo Chatter - YouTube

289bhp Golf diesel. The noise is compressor surge when lifting off the throttle, as its a ball bearing turbo the compressor continues to spin off throttle causing the chatter noise to reverberate through the air intake and filter. It's quite normal to be honest, even if it sounds like it shouldn't be doing it. It's only a problem if you get that noise whilst on the throttle.

That chatter noise sounds nuts lol. I wasnt expecting it to sound like that at all

It sounds like Rolf Harris and that wobble board thing haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Westy
it don't sound good lol
wounder how loud it is out side ??

from my own experience diesels are only good for long motorway driving when u benefit 6 / 7 speed gearbox's around town when turbo kicks in and out everytime u burn load of fuel just depends what u use the car for, i have 1 diesel for long journeys and a tt for potterin around town

Yeh I only do about 10 mile a day and none motorway mileage till weekend and even the I only do 50 miles over Saturday and Sunday, drive to and from holiday maybe twice a year! Just got all the messing of selling my car now after just buying it as well!

Common rail diesels whilst being refined need to be driven. Just pooling around town doing low miles is bad for them due to DPF clogging. Bear in mind it's nearly 2k to replace a clogged DPF and EGR due to them moving them to the back of the engine of the CR behind the turbo. That means the subframe has to be dropped and engine supported, exhaust off just to get at it. Quite a few 09 plates having issues now with high ash loadings. Check the soot levels of any car you buy with VCDS. I have just suffered this issue with a golf which I have owned for 2 months. Just got rid for a petrol Audi as the low miles we do makes it worse. Just my 2p

Just keep the dpf and strip the internals, that way it's there to see and also ups the performance with the remap and exhaust,, it will still pass on emissions, either that or drive it over 2k revs everywhere if u don't drive it hard!

Will it still pass on emissions ? This is factual evidence ? You still have to get to the DPF and remove it to carve it open and gut it then weld it all back together. More aggro than its worth IMO. Also factor in that a DPF has pressure sensors all over it to detect ash and soot loadings and your looking at playing with problems with dash lights unless your mapper really knows what he is doing. One things for sure I wouldn't buy a car that has been tampered with in this way.

A lot of new car with personal buyers are going small petrol turbos as they don't do the miles. Only people buying new diesels are people wanting big 4x4 or fleet buys due to lower tax levels on emissions

If you do low miles seriously think about a petrol. If not select your diesel car carefully and check the soot and ash levels. Just friendly advice that's all

Ino cheers well I have already got the 140 diesel as less problems with this one than the 170! :) going to stick with this for the mean while, not had problems so far and my mechanic does all the work, been using him for years so get good prices! I do love petrol cars as I am a petrol head so this is new to me, but trying something new! It does the job and is quick enough, will be great when I have finish the remap and dpf :D

Giving it a few years and I will most prob go back to petrol engines, I miss the noise already :) get an s3 or s4 5 ect still got time to think on which I prefer at the time! Also got the diesel for the holiday trips being a good 4 5 hour drive there,

Happy days. I didn't know you already had the car. Sorry. Good thing it's the 140 which I have myself as the wife's car is petrol. The 170 seem a bit more problematic from the general consensus on here. If your gutting you DPF then fair play. If not get VCDS and have a look at you ash and soot. It's a good indication of how the car has been driven when compared with miles. There is a massive thread on tdi club about it. All the yanks moaning about them as they do big miles and they are crapping out at 100k some even earlier like I have experienced.

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89
Gutting the DPF is well worth it and there are companies that offer the service. On visual inspection you can't tell it's been removed and no problems with emissions at all. I did it on my 170 and it turned it into such a better car to drive once it could breath properly.

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89