Remap - Insurance Problems

vbking

Reaction score
Chaps,

Been thinking about a Jabbasport remap so gave Elephant a quick call to see how much my premium would increase. Was very surprised to hear that they wouldnt be able to insure the mod as it involved modifying the software on the ECU - HOWEVER, they would be able to insure it if I had a physical chip installed in the ECU that produced exactly the same results! He even gave me some flannel about how it would reduce fuel economy (what has that got to do with insurance?).

Has anyone else experienced this problem or was I just unfortunate to get some pond life on the end of the phone (although he did speak to one of the underwriters)?

Cheers

Must be to do with underwriter. When i asked Elephant last year June i was told they wouldn't touch any peformance increase. i even had to pay £50 for alloys (morethan this year only increase premiums for performance mods).

Elephant are crap for mods - try someone lile greenlight or adrian flux.

Rich

I was told the same thing. They seem to think a remap is riskier than replacing the chip!!!!

Call someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I moved to Greenlight for a lower premium for a remapped car that Elephant wanted for standard. It was great to talk to someone who knew what he was taking about (had a remapped Golf GTI himself). Give them a try.

Cheers guys - will give them a call at lunchtime.

I'd second privilege.... good service and the guy I spoke to was quite up on remapping himself..

greenlight excellent price and great service. They seem to no there stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Privilege for me, excellent service, increase was about £120 for the year for 210 - 270bhp, and nothing for Black Diamond Discs/pads, Bailey DV and K&N filter.

Well happy!

Adiran Flux for me...

£650 fully comp, breakdown, European cover, Business Use on modified, highly kitted car (see signature).

Wiz

[ QUOTE ]
Don,t tell em

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ignore this comment. It has been discussed many times whether or not you should tell your insurance and the answer has always concluded to "yes"

Its not worth the risk! What happens if you kill someone in a crash (accident) and your insurance company refuse to pay out because you didn't tell them about the remap?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don,t tell em

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ignore this comment. It has been discussed many times whether or not you should tell your insurance and the answer has always concluded to "yes"

Its not worth the risk! What happens if you kill someone in a crash (accident) and your insurance company refuse to pay out because you didn't tell them about the remap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Dicky here, if you can't afford the insurance, don't remap the car!, simple as....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don,t tell em

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Dicky here, if you can't afford the insurance, don't remap the car!, simple as....

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite agree

[ QUOTE ]
Don,t tell em

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just irresponsible.

If you can fork out for a £500 remap, you can damn well pay the extra premium.

You MUST tell them.. and its not just someone else you might hit, what about your own passengers...

Mine made no difference to my premium, but did add £250 to my excess.. :-( oh well!

Just got my renewal £621 got quoted £657 from greenlight just need to beet them down get it in writing then go back to adrian flux as they sent a price promise letter so here goes.