remap insurance?

mrr_1990@hotmail.com

Reaction score
Hi, Do you need to tell your insurance company if you get a remap? If so does it wack the price up alot?!

Cheers

Nice Question as a 1st post, first of all, Welcome to the Forum!

We're a sensible bunch on here, so YES, you need to tell your insurance of any BHP tweaks to your car, just to make sure you ARE insured when driving it!

Does it whack the price up a lot? Depends on you and where you live, I'm paying £450 fully comp with all my mods declared and 6 points on my licence, would have been around £300 if it was standard I think.

Hello and Welcome to the site

Yes you do have to legally but an insurance company may only check if a loss adjuster is trying to get out of paying in the event of an accident.

It would be difficult for an insurance company to prove that you had a remap or custom code unless they really wanted to.

I would say declare everything non standard, even after market alloy wheels to be sure.

Hi and welcome.

You can have a play with the Elephant car insurance site - they allow you to save a quote for a car, and then add mods in about 30 different categories (in any combination you want) and it recalculates the price for you. You can then see how much difference the chip makes (or anything else you may be planning).

Oh, and there are some strange anomalies such as alloy wheels. O/E Audi alloys are horrendously expensive. I'm running a set of reps at the moment which would cost £500 to replace if they got nicked; to replace a set of Avus's with tyres you are looking at more like £1400!