door handel

cathaloneill

Reaction score
the drivers side door handel fell off this morning, this happen anyone else before?

Quality!

Never happened to me yet or anyone else as far as I know.

So much for Vorsprung Durch Technik.

Have to confess to having laughed when I first read your post, such a bizarre thing to happen. Sure Audi would be proud of that one!

Hope they don't try to fob you off with it being a new security feature! "Your finger prints didn't sync with the handle Sir so it ejected!"

You have to adapt the way you open handles to suit Audi.

It's your fault.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pushed the handel back on after it fell off, but every time you shut the door it falls off again. i now have to get in to car, roll down the window, reach out and take the handel off so that i wont fall off when driving.

got the car 3 months ago second hand 18mths old 2.0FSI. A week after i got it a creaking sound started coming from the engine every time you accelerate and slow down while in traffic. it sounded like a busted engine mount but the audi dealer says its not and of course it never creaks when he is sitting in while i drive it. its been back twice at this stage. any ideas what it might be

With all the probs recently people have experienced, could Audi quality be on the slide like MB was a couple of years back?

Would be interesting to know warranty claim costs year on year.

Re your creaking, someone about a month or so ago mentioned they had problems with their exhaust mounts. Apparently they flexed too much and the exhaust had to be replaced. Could that be it, the car would lurch somewhat back and forward under acceleration\decceleration which could cause the exhaust to creak?

Do a search in this forum on exhaust, oh and welcome to the forum btw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers, its a great forum.

Its my first Audi after a long line of VW Golfs. I have to say the Golf's never gave me this much trouble this early on. I'm stunned at the amount of oil the car is consuming, but reading other comments this seems like a regular problem with the petrol engines. i have put 1.5 liters of oil in since last november, for 10,000 miles.

Don't worry about the engine eating oil, pretty normal. However, if it keeps eating and eating, get it eventually fixed like mine was.

Since you have 18 months old 2,0FSI, it might very well be subject to the same problem, something about lifting valves in the engine etc. At least mine hasn't eaten any oil after that (has blown up all oil sensors though at least couple of times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
but reading other comments this seems like a regular problem with the petrol engines. i have put 1.5 liters of oil in since last november, for 10,000 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ,I wish my car had your 'problem' !

My car's used 6 litres in 11000 miles !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

OH MY F/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifING GOD... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I nearly wet myself reading the first post... don't you just love Audi quality!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but reading other comments this seems like a regular problem with the petrol engines. i have put 1.5 liters of oil in since last november, for 10,000 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus bowfer, that's a bit excessive. You must have a friday afternoon car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Obviously Sportbacks are not bulit to the same quality as 3-doors !

6 litres in 10000 miles?

Are you sure?

Mine's done 2-2.5 in 16k,

I've told you a million billion times, don't exaggerate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mine is much the same, around 3 litres in 23k.

And just for the record, July 2004 was obviously a good quality vintage (at least for 3-door A3s)

My door handles have not fallen off.
My steering does not make any noise at all and works just as it should.
My front tyres lasted 20k
My rear suspension does not rattle.
My exhaust does not rattle.
It's never failed to start or has never broken down.
The paint work quality is fine.
The seats and interior are fine.
It drives very well and my DSG does just what I expect it to do.

If I could change anything, I would prefer that the clock was the radio-contolled version fitted to the German versions so that it was also 100% accurate and changed automatically for summer/ winter time in the same way as my German watch.

Apart from that small item - I love my car and it build quality just as it is. One very happy Audi customer.

My door handles have not fallen

Nor mine

My steering does not make any noise at all and works just as it should.

Mine sadly doesnt
My front tyres lasted 20k

Mine wont but thats not the cars fault!!

My rear suspension does not rattle.

nor mine

My exhaust does not rattle.

nor mine
It's never failed to start or has never broken down.

nor mine

The paint work quality is fine.

mine too

The seats and interior are fine.
It drives very well and my DSG does just what I expect it to do.

me too!

overall, i'm well pleased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That makes at least 2 satisfied customers !

And as for Bowfers silly and sacastic comment...

[ QUOTE ]
You have to adapt the way you open handles to suit Audi.

It's your fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily adapt how you drive a car or use it's gearbox to suit the vehicle you are driving. I used to drive Army 4-ton trucks with 'crash' gearboxes. I used to have to adapt my driving technique accordingly but to say the same the same about a door handle.......

If it falls off - it's faulty and should be put right. Mind you I did have one of the truck handles fall off in my hand on more than one occasion, but then they were built in the UK !

Nothing weird about that 6 litres per 11k miles, mine ate about at the same speed. Not to mention to occasions when I had to refill oil twice after 500kms. More often than I bought petrol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, yea.. door handles shouldn't drop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Re your creaking, someone about a month or so ago mentioned they had problems with their exhaust mounts. Apparently they flexed too much and the exhaust had to be replaced. Could that be it, the car would lurch somewhat back and forward under acceleration\decceleration which could cause the exhaust to creak?

Do a search in this forum on exhaust, oh and welcome to the forum btw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me. At just over 2000rpm in any gear, whether accelerating or decelerating, the downpipe would vibrate, although not really a creak as such. Traced to faulty mountings which were too flexible. This was cured by a replacement (took 5 weeks to get hold of it though!). For your info, my car was one of the first 2005MY 3.2s delivered in July 2004, so is about 18 months old now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus bowfer, that's a bit excessive. You must have a friday afternoon car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree,it is excessive.
However,Audi have covered their backsides by stating,in the manual,that anything up to a litre per 1000 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif is 'normal'.
So there's nothing I can do about it.

have you mentioned it to the dealer though?

I'd still go for it personally. And if they give you no joy then cite the fact that most everyone else you know has used nowhere near as much oil (I use about 1.5l between services of 18k)

[ QUOTE ]
have you mentioned it to the dealer though?

I'd still go for it personally. And if they give you no joy then cite the fact that most everyone else you know has used nowhere near as much oil (I use about 1.5l between services of 18k)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah,I've mentioned it.

They just refer to the manual,say it's normal and "should settle down".

I've given up and just accepted I have to keep oil in the boot at all times.

Have you had your first service yet?

I had a complaint about mine smoking too much, which suprisingly came back as a n.f.f., but after the first service it seemed much better, and the oil consumption seemed to drop off a bit.