s3 8l vibration under load

JoeeS3

Reaction score
ive had a look on the forums and cants seem to find anything too similar to this. if i put my food down after about 3500 rpm the car will start juddering, but the whole car vibrates. it doesn't do it on idle or when stationary at all. even with the clutch down or up. could it be any mounts? it doesnt make a difference whether i am turning or not. my car is also lowered 40mm

I had a similar issue when i first got my s3. I had sheered my prop shaft bolt. Its worth getting underneath the car and having a look. As you have stated it could be worn engine mounts. Worth checking the dog bone mount bushes as-well.

And in answer to your question on instagram, yes i am on ASN! :salute:

thanks and ill have to get underneath on the weekend and check then. i have a feeling its the propshaft. haha hello there :salute:

Hello! Sorry mate i don't know the exact size of the bolt, as i got a garage to drill it out and replace. Hopefully someone will pop up shortly and know the exact size.

Are you sure its not a coil pack failing, they can make the car vibrate, especially if two on the way out.
Dave

would the coilpack be a constant thing though and not just under load? ive recently changed all coils and sparks. i think it may be a missing bolt cammage. after looking at the picture on your thread

Ye i even had mine in at audi as said, but turned out to be the bolt... let us know if you sort it.

a failing coil pack would result in a vibration, and as said, definitely if you have two failing. And it will tend to show up when you put the car under load

well i have a full spare coil pack at home so will change them over when i'm home to see if it makes a difference

Im sure it was a M10.. i have a spare at home. Ideally you need to find it first and check via etka..

DSC 0442

Well spot the missing bolt haha? ive ordered a m10 12 point bolt and i think it should be going in today :)

it also looks like its been out for a while now which is quite worrying as it only started juddering recently.

Ouch! Get some locktight on the new bolt... glad you found it!

will do, taking it down to my friends garage on my lunch break. hopefully have it all sorted by then. you might able to see it from the picture but its not lined up right

Yes mine had spun slightly when it was running on two bolts.. bit of swinging on the driveshaft should sort it hopefully.

Wouldnt take long to discolour now the salters are out.
Might be worth replacing all of them while your at it, just in case they have been weakened.
Dave

i suppose. well im going to check it is the bolt that is making the noise first then replace the rest if it solves the problem. ive got a funny feeling its something else contributing to the vibration and not just the missing bolt

I feel that I should have now I'm at the garage now. Only have one bolt so going to put that in then order another twotomorrow

Little update, the bolt would not go in! We tried and tried but it wouldn't line up, also on the way home I drove the car with the handbrake up one click to see if it rattled and it didn't then when I put it back down only.then would it rattle

Yes when i replaced mine i had to point the bolt a little with a file to help guide it in.

this wouldn't be a haldex issue would it? and cammage was your bolt as far out as mine? the rubber on my propshaft flexible joint didnt seem to line up no matter what!

Chances are you need a new prop,
Recently just don't mine,
Where the bolts out the joint deflects and ruins the sleeve on the prop that goes over he spigot,
Like this...
9359E583-A635-49FE-B4E0-1B53AD8AB6D1-664-0000002926CA7102_zps8b2a80c2.jpg

You can use the front section off a tt as well that's what I used.

hi gary the sleeve is okay. its the rubber which isn't allowing it to line up i think it has deformed somehow not allowing the bolt to go in nicely. or the thread may be ********. ive emailed a few people breaking theyre s3's on ebay asking how much the want for the front flexible joint so hopefully hear back from them.

would anyone have an idea why it doesn't vibrate when haldex is disabled though? is it just because there is no force on the propshaft so it just spins freely?

Yes that's why,
When the haldex engages it's trying to twist it, an then it's twisting on the two bolts,

Have you has the shaft off to check it all?

Cause tbh mine looked ok till I got it off and it's was like the above,

no i havent had the shaft off. how hard is it to get the shaft off? well at least i know its not the haldex. may keep that handbrake up a notch then as i am not accelerating from low speeds anyway. i will stick it on ramps again tonight and try get that bolt in. if not ill just buy a new flexible joint. how much was it for yours gary and where did you get it from?

I managed to get it off by myself on my drive, on axle stands,

Just dropped the exhaust down,
And fiddles like hell slotting bits through holes, then take the dog mount off to lever the engine forwards to get it off the spigots,

2 hours to get it off and 1.5 to get it back on when I got a prop,

Prop cost me 60quid, off eBay went and collected and he had a choice of about 10 so got the one with the best joint,

well ill take the shaft off on the weekend if i cant get the bolt in tonight, so cammage you just filed your bolt a little so it would fit? did the thread stay okay when doing this? i think my actual shaft is okay gary its just that flexible joint thing on the end, the rubber is fxcked in it. ill update later if i get a chance to attempt the bolt later again tonight, was it difficult on axle stands gary?

Yes mate.. the hole was just off, so filled a bit from the bolt to help guide it. Ive checked the bolts every 300 mile and are holding strong so far.