S3 suspension upgrades

marshole82

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm looking into getting an s3 and I should have a little bit to do some upgrades.

I'm ruling out a map because I want to do some engine bits first.

So I thought handling is a good place to start. I see a lot of you recommend the bilstein/eibach static setup from DPM, but they also do cheaper Koni and KW setups - is there really any worth in the extra cash for road handling? I won't be tracking the car or anything.

Also was thinking of upgrading the bushes, but I'm not sure what brand, where to buy or what bushes to get.

And is it worth uprated ARBs for 300 or would solid bushes and a static drop improve things enough?

What are people running? Any recommendations?

Oli

Afternoon,

The Bilstein B12 kit is pretty much the best springs and shocks kit on the market but is closely followed by the Weitec by KW Ultra GT kit.

Match either of those with a set of uprated ARBs and you'd have a very good handling S3.

It's also advised to get adjustable rear tie bars to keep the rear camber in check.

Damian @ DPM Performance

cheers damian.

in all fairness i'll only be commuting with occasional blast around the lanes, so it doesn't need to be amazing, just less woolley than standard 13 year old kit would be!

possibly a koni kit, audi top mounts, defcon bushes and then replacement poly bushes all round?

whats the deal with the adjustable tie bars? not heard of these before, are the AWD specific? i'd only be dropping it 20-30mm which shouldnt be enough to knock the camber out too much should it?

20-30mm will throw the camber out so you will need adjustable tie bars. Bushes go for powerflex all round or similar except the front wishbone bush which should be kept OEM spec, its also worth replacing the drop links front & rear, ball joints, ARB bushes & top mount / bearings.

Likely to cost in excess of £1000 for that lot including a spring/shock kit.

I run bilstein shocks and -30mm eibach springs the ride and handling is superb as said above you will need adjustable tie bars to dial out the negative camber on the rear after lowering

Another one with a B12 kit, been on the car for 9 months now and loving it. Also had it poly bushed at the same time. Got Neuspeed ARBs and Forge adjustable rear tie arms for camber correction (I had KW ones previously but one snapped - and I'm not the only one that's happened to). There is currently a groupbuy running for Dave's equivalent.

Another one with a B12 kit, been on the car for 9 months now and loving it. Also had it poly bushed at the same time. Got Neuspeed ARBs and Forge adjustable rear tie arms for camber correction (I had KW ones previously but one snapped - and I'm not the only one that's happened to). There is currently a groupbuy running for Dave's equivalent.

Did you do the rose joints and drop links too? Also for top mounts what did you use? Also how much drop did you get with the kit over standard? (Assuming its an s3) Thanks

Did you do the rose joints and drop links too? Also for top mounts what did you use? Also how much drop did you get with the kit over standard? (Assuming its an s3) Thanks
Will need to dig the receipt out.

Dave that set up looks good. Do you mind letting us into costs for it all? If you don't want to that's fine, no drama. Just out of interest.

Would it be worth an R32 front ARB too? I've heard that Defcon bushes on the wishbones are a good shout too?

Thanks Dave, how have you got on with it cos you're coming up to a year now? Is it comfortable for fast road and also can you possibly post a pic so we can see the stance please?

For my needs it's been spot on TBH. Firm but comfortable ride and the handling is in a different league to the standard setup. IMO it's low enough to look a bit meaner but still practical for carrying a full load and negotiating speed bumps and multi-storey car parks. It's not 'stance' low though. I'll get a pic tomorrow and post it up.

Dave that set up looks good. Do you mind letting us into costs for it all? If you don't want to that's fine, no drama. Just out of interest.

Would it be worth an R32 front ARB too? I've heard that Defcon bushes on the wishbones are a good shout too?

I can't remember exactly but I've got a full breakdown of what I paid on a spreadsheet at work if you want a copy. I think it was about £1300 for the parts and laser 4 wheel alignment, I did the fitting myself over the course of a few nights. It sounds a lot but that covered pretty much everything including bushes, ball joints, TRE's etc so it should last as long as the car hopefully. IMO I wouldn't bother with the R32 front ARB as it'll just bring back some under steer that you dial out with the rear ARB. Defcon bushes might be worth it as there are good reviews for them but for me it was a step too far.

Cheers dave a spreadsheet would be ace. I'll PM you my email for when you get chance.

A pic would be decent too!

Sorry, haven't found the receipt yet. But agree with Dave about height. My car is higher than it was with the previous ABT springs on it (I can get off the drive at my mum's house without scraping the underside of the front bumper).

Yeah, I do want a 20mm drop over standard though so wondering whether I should chop the eibach springs for apex.

Thanks though.

I have also been looking at a new suspension setup for this year. Im still toying with the idea of shocks and springs or coilovers what are the + and - to both??? Also I have a friend selling some solid subframe mounting bushes would these be worth a purchase??

Fixed drop like eibach will be better for handling. Only pro of coilovers in comparison is that they allow you different heights.