knocking from rear?

porkapig

Reaction score
got a knocking on the car over bumps at low speed - sounds like drop links on the roll bar? anyone had any problems? car has 30k on it 20 of which are motorway miles

Could it be the shocks? Quite a few on here have had it, and the shocks were replaced with a revised version under warranty. I've very occaisonally heard knocking from the rear - like someone had kicked a metal bucket in the boot. Couldn't be bothered to take it to the stealer as it hardly ever happens.

Aha, this could be the same problem I have on my car. I only hear the knocks at below 40mph, seems to come from the passenger rear...

The damping on my glove box has broken as well, coincidently when I lent my claire to claire to go shopping, so about time to book it in then!

J.

i've got the notorious boot floor rattle, where the base of the floor bangs over bumps, sounds more wooden than metallic though, you guys sure its not this?

Yer I did think that was my inital problem but even with my laptop bag in the boot (which weighs a ton) and then the cargo net keeps it firmly in place.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
...I lent my claire to claire to go shopping...

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky ******! Two Claires.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And he gets to thrash one of them when he feels like it......treat 'em mean, keep em keen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
got a knocking on the car over bumps at low speed - sounds like drop links on the roll bar? anyone had any problems? car has 30k on it 20 of which are motorway miles

[/ QUOTE ]

My last 2.0FSI did the same thing, try opening the rear hatch, sticking your head through into the car and push down on the rear panel, you'll hear it better that way and will be able to demonstrate it better to the dealer, Mine was rear shocks, there is a modified set

I had the back knocking at low speed over bumps.
Take it back and tell tehm to change the rear Shocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They did that on mine, loads are going back for it (even though dealer wont admit it)

Brian

Mine has the same problem, the knocking sound also seems to come from the passenger rear. Especially now when we have winter and ice/pumpy roads. I have service on this matter in two weeks. So I know more then about it..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And he gets to thrash one of them when he feels like it......treat 'em mean, keep em keen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
i've got the notorious boot floor rattle, where the base of the floor bangs over bumps, sounds more wooden than metallic though, you guys sure its not this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem and took the car to the dealers and they said it was the parcel shelf and not the boot floor. Since they had the car it hasn't happened again. Not sure what they did though.

Anyone had any problems with the front shocks? When on bumpy roads I seem to get quite a loud knock from the front drivers side (haven't noticed it from the passenger side - yet).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive got some sheets under mine at the moment,and im taking the parcel shelf out,to isolate the problem,as i think its one of these,too.

took mine out earlier, removed the parcel shelf and it still did it, will try the sheets under the boot floor next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

well - they didnt have time to investigate.... hhhmmmnn

car will be back in 10k for dsg fluid change (as they didnt have time) so will TRY to get them to look next time (10k = 3 months for me)

if it was'nt under warranty,and they could charge labour i bet they would of found time then?,
whatever happened to customer comes first,or is that only when they are trying to sell something.

When i had mine knocking, i phoned them up and made them come out to colelct it and leave a loan car.
They Brought it back int he afternoon and said
" Yes it needs a new rear shock"

" we have had to order one"

so they had to pick it up 2 weeks later and leave me a loan car for the day again.

Always had good service from Robinsons in Norwich, even Test Driving the range over the last couple of years, always lent me what i wanted for the weekend.

Have you checked to make sure you haven't left your mother-in-law in the boot?

It's easily done.

Sorry to bring up an old subject but... guess what? Yes you guessed it i'm now getting a bangin noise at low speeds when going over bumpy(ish) roads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Is this now a recognised problem by Audi dealers?

Does anyone know what the problem is? What do they replace? Anyone had any problems since having them replaced? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I'm seriously gutted.. this is the first real fault with my a3 since new nearly 1 year ago and I've only got another 1600 miles til my 1st service is due!

finally got my shcoks replaced after 6 visits to garage and 2 years !

still waiting to go in again - 6k more miles done - not getting worse but...
Customer satisfaction 0

i think mines starting to Knock Again, its been about 6 months since they changed the shocks.