3.2 V6 Timing Chain Replacement Idea

Yannis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just brought a 2005 Audi A3 3.2 V6 Quattro. Very happy :-D

Having read up on the DSG and Timing Chain issues I have been having some thoughts.

First of all, if you remove the rocker cover you can access the top of the timing chain? (Awaiting my Haynes manual for Christmas....)

If so;

To replace the chain without removing the engine, could you;

- Rotate the chain round until you found a timing mark
- Brake the chain on or one link before that mark
- Join the new chain to the old chain making sure you were joining the correct corresponding link
- Turn over the engine very carefully by hand and feed in the new chain
- When the join came back round, brake the old timing chain off and join up the ends of the new chain

I am used to working on Land Rovers that are a little more simple and easy to work on, so excuse me if my idea is flawed?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yannis

Hi,

I have just brought a 2005 Audi A3 3.2 V6 Quattro. Very happy :-D

Having read up on the DSG and Timing Chain issues I have been having some thoughts.

First of all, if you remove the rocker cover you can access the top of the timing chain? (Awaiting my Haynes manual for Christmas....)

If so;

To replace the chain without removing the engine, could you;

- Rotate the chain round until you found a timing mark
- Brake the chain on or one link before that mark
- Join the new chain to the old chain making sure you were joining the correct corresponding link
- Turn over the engine very carefully by hand and feed in the new chain
- When the join came back round, brake the old timing chain off and join up the ends of the new chain

I am used to working on Land Rovers that are a little more simple and easy to work on, so excuse me if my idea is flawed?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yannis

its not quite that easy your top chain connects both your cams to the intermediate gear that drives the oil pump the intermediate gear then the lower chain connects the intermediate shaft to the crank and the chains are continuous it's either a gearbox out or the best option engine out but why change them if the are not noisey or causing issues .

check this link http://sandbox.enjoybeing.net/veedub/vw_vr6_self_study.pdf

i have auto data as Haynes doesn't cover the v6

its expensive as you have both chains all tensioners and all gears and vvt adjusters if you want to do a complete job

Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
Cheers for the information.

Fingers crossed I currently have no problems, however I would rather research these things now so I know what to look out for and know what I can attempt my self.

i like your thinking yannis i think it maybe doable

at the end of the day if not just go down the other route

Perfect, exactly what I was after. Thanks