Should that be there or not...

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to sort some stuff out on my S3 for a while, I've fitted the facelift rear lights, replaced all the discs and pads, and today finished replacing the wishbone bushes with poly bushes and started painting the calipers to stop them looking a state, anyhow I was going to be fitting the dog-bone bushes as well, but the brace in the picture below stops the mount being removed. Has anyone else got one of these on there S3? mines a late 99 early 2000 car and I can find no record of this part on the Audi parts CD or workshop manuals.

DSCF1241.jpg

And the other thing does anyone know if there should be a cover here? looks like there should to me? If anyone doesn't realise what there looking at it's the drivers side wheel arch quite close up.

DSCF1249.jpg

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben.

Yeah thats the lower strut brace. Some car have them , others don't. Not sure if its was an option or not, but many people fit them. Looks like yours has taken a whack as its a bit bent.

If you look at the engine mount part of ETKA you'll see a pic and part numbers etc.

As for the cover, mine doesn't have one there, but thats becuase I have a turbo pipe in that location. Your pipes are obviously routed defferently as yours is an S3 and mines an A3.

If nobody checks for you, I can let you know tomorrow and me worl mate who got one is off today.

P.S. that first pic makes me frrl a bit sick looking from that angle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers HTC, not sure that's bent it looked like it was supposed to be that shape, but wasn't that much fun trying to get a proper look at it. If it is bent though I think I'll be getting a new one will have to have another look on ETKA tonight.

So anyone with an S3 care to have a look at there car and tell me if there should be a cover over that part of the car or not?

Cheers,

Ben.

I seem to recall that they do actually come with a kink in them...dunno why!

No, I have a 99' S3 and it was straight IIRC, don't remember if I had to remove it to get to the mount though, took me 45 mins. max to replace the mount with the car sitting on axle stands.

Looking at the pic again, I recon you could get the mount out without removing the brace, but its only two bolts anyway, so you might as well remove the lot.

I've spent enough time in the cold and rain changing the discs / pads and the bushes so AmD can sort that one I think, from the look I got at the bar it's the shape it should be - bottoming out on something could not make it bend like that! and the profile of the bar changes.

I did take all the bolts out of the dog bone mount, but you can't get it passed the brace (even if you try raising the engine a little) and one of the bolts on the brace doesn't want to budge even with a 2 foot breaker bar so again I think AmD can sort that out in there nice warm dry workshop. If it was the summer I'd sort it myself.

So does anyone with an S3 know if there should be a cover on the drivers side, seems daft there's a cover on the other side and there's nothing as fragile as a belt on display.

I've recently changed my DB mount and found that my S3 also has a 'lower strut brace' like yours. (which, by the way is not bent as far i a remember).

I also found that the rear of the DB mount would not pass easily between the brace and the bottom of the car. To solve the problem i used a 12" steel bar i found knocking around in my dads garage to lever the brace down enough to pull the mount through. Only need to shift it about 1 cm to get the brace through - worked fine with no problems.

Yep I would have just taken the brace off if the weather had been better, I've spent most of the last 4 weekends in the frost and rain buggering about with bits of the brakes and suspension and I've kinda had enough.

I need to go to AmD anyway to get the wheels alligned correctly again and have a rattle looked at oh and get the gearbox oil changed so I figured whilst I'm there they can do it that's all.

Back to question 2... does anyone know if there should be a cover on the drivers side of the S3, if not looks like I'll be looking for the other S3 in the car park at work with a torch and a camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I'm pretty sure mine has a cover in the wheel arch..i'll look tomorrow to be sure.

Yes you have a cover missing. In fact looking at the first picture looks like you may be missing most of the front under engine plastics.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes you have a cover missing. In fact looking at the first picture looks like you may be missing most of the front under engine plastics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to my TDi you are missing a lot of plastic from underneath, and most cars have covers there now. They can be expensive: My Seat Ibiza TDi's cover came off in a flood, and the dealer quoted £100 for the part. It never got replaced....

Thanks for the replies guys, but it needs to be another S3 as I'm aware other A3's have lots more covers including some that have a cover under the whole of the engine bay. I've just been having another look I've just found the below pic so I'm not pretty sure there should be a cover where there isn't one on my car and I think I'd like that one to cover that belt a little more from the elements.

S3EngineCovers.jpg

The plastics underneath are pretty much the same between the S3 and A3. Only the TDIs have the full plastic under the engine. This is to dampen the sound of the noisier engine.

You are definately missing the offside lower engine cover and the front lower engine cover.
It looks as if you still have the nearside fitted but its damaged.

I can take pics of my mates S3 if you like (would have to be tomorrow).

S3 plastics should be the following part numbers.

Sound deadener front - 8L9 825 B - £159.71

Coverplate for engine left front - 8L9 825 245 B - £19.02

Cover V-belt - 8L9 825 250 B - £20.43

Total with vat £234.01 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks HTC (where do you actually get the prices from - does your ETKA have the link with Audi working?)

I'm not bothered about the sound deadener however the cover for the belt I do want to replace as it seems very open to the elements, just wondering how much effort it'll be fit the new one. Actually that said it's AmD that haven't put it back on so maybe I need to talk to them.

I use "ETOS" it's like ETKA but with prices. It updates from the web.

The cover is really easy to fit. It just clips on to a couple of studs on the inner wing with two circular push on discs. There is also one t20 torx screw at the back.

umm, I guess I'll be off down to audi to order another stupid bit for my car, I dread to think how much I've spent on my car in total this year...

Do you know if all the fittings are captive in part as Audi seem to have a habbit of supplying the parts without the fittings in my experience!

I'd get a 2nd hand one, there prob the same an the A3!

ETOS? I was gonna ask you for a copy of your priese.dat file - my prices are all to pot.