Sat Nav Plus enhancements

cosmicblue

Reaction score
Since the departure of my A4 Cabrio I have missed the convenience of SatNav plus. So its good to reunited with one very neat piece of kit.

Audi have evidently been listening to the minor gripes that the 1st units had, and modified the documentation too.

1) It is now possible to mute the radio/cd/MP3 player withour turning the whole Nav unit off. Briefly pressing the on/off switch turns the sound off and pops up a symbol of a crossed out loadspeaker to the left of TP/TMC logo. Seems a minor issue but it was really annoying when you just wanted silence to think (or the phone rang at the wrong moment)!

2) The text entry function for names/routes now automatically reverts to lowercase text after the first letter is entered. Previously the Case switch had to be done manually - one never bothered so everthing was in block capitals.

3) The Nav system now displays the DIS clock time to the right of the TP/TMC logo (can use DIS time or your own choice of time - useful). The lady wife used to whinge that having the clock in front of the driver wasn't passenger friendly.....

4) The documentation no longer stipulates that the MP3 SD/MMC card readers are limited to 256mb each. 512Mb/1Gb cards have worked from day one so it is good to see that this is acknowledged.

[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic, do you know if "older" versions can benefit from these improvements?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess would be 'yes', I seem to recall reading that that Audi Nav disk has the operating system software on it too, so a later disk (this one has the Birmingham Toll road on it for instance and my Sept 04 Cabrio disk didn't) may well have the enhancments too.

CraigyB posts here and on TS from time to time and would be your ideal contact.

This USA NavPlus forum is also useful:

NavPlus - US

[ QUOTE ]
4) The documentation no longer stipulates that the MP3 SD/MMC card readers are limited to 256mb each. 512Mb/1Gb cards have worked from day one so it is good to see that this is acknowledged.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the guys at www.navplus.us have tried new 4GB SD cards and they work fine apparently. They said it takes a little bit longer for the unit to read the card and find the tracks but there's no problems.

With two of the cards, that's 8GB of MP3s you can listen to. Pretty good for a factory unit.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the guys at www.navplus.us have tried new 4GB SD cards and they work fine apparently. They said it takes a little bit longer for the unit to read the card and find the tracks but there's no problems.

With two of the cards, that's 8GB of MP3s you can listen to. Pretty good for a factory unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - I'd heard (and seen) the odd 2Gb card but not anything of a 4Gb card.

If any NavPlus owners fancy a try - Ebuyer are doing Kingston 1Gb cards for £30.99+vat (free delivery).
Ebuyer Kingston 1Gb card link

I have one of these cards working perfectly and have ordered another to keep it company....just in case it gets lonely in there by itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you'd be looking at £450 for the cards....not practicle yet but give it time. Theirs a whisper of 20gb sd cards using a new technology but they're a while off.