Dension docking in ash tray

mike-y90

Reaction score
I just purchased a dension and was thinking of the best place to run the cable to for my iphone. I dont want it in the glove box. I want my phone to be at hands reach.

I was thought the best place I could put this would be the ash tray. Touch it to pop it open and have the docking there. Would look good when its docked and easy to hide away when not using. Has anyone done this and how difficult is it to run the docking lead to come out at the ash tray?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: megancc27
...I want to know more regarding how easy it is to run the cable from the dension box to under the ash tray

Audi area: Audi A3. ITray for IPod mod

Running the cable will be very easy. There is lots of room behind the stereo and climate control unit and they are easy to get out. The stereo needs 4 removal keys which I got from Halfrauds. The climate is just held in with clips. The tricky bit will be making the appropriate holes and keeping it all tidy. I looked at the Ashtray mod, but it looked a bit fiddly. Also, with hindsight, I'm not sure that would be the best placement for my needs as I wanted to use my iPhone for Sat nav. Sometimes it's useful to be able to see the screen for reference and you don't really want to take your eyes too far off the road. In front of the gear stick was too lo and the gear stick would be in the way.

I installed the Dension kit myself and stuffed it all behind the stereo with the iPhone cable fed down the side of the flat plastic trim between the centre console and glove box in the passenger footwell. I got a bit of GSM interference from the iPhone there, so with the help of Ash187 (thanks mate), we cut a hole in drivers side of the glove box and relocated the Dension kit there. The iPhone cable comes back out the same hole and then pops out between the trim mentioned above. I also bought a dashmount kit, so my iPhone sites quite nicely beside the Concert stereo. It picks up GRPS quite nicely there, so I can use it play tunes and use the TomTom app while it charges.

Here's a link to the kit: Dashmount iPhone 4S kit and the Dashmount bracket

I'll post some pics up later if it will help?

Reactions: Ash187
Here's a pic of my setup in case you decide to move away from the ash tray insert idea.

IMG_2198_zps2ecd0ff7.jpg

I Plastidipped the Dension iPhone cable connector. God knows why they decided to make it white when it's intended for use in the car.

I really liked that link Mike-y90 (Audi area: Audi A3. ITray for IPod mod)

So had little play

Just mock up. Going to make real thing Monday at work (If get chance).

DSC_0019.jpg

As say it not finished thing. Why can see red out line.
Also don't have any cables yet at all to make it all work.

I have my iPhone mounted at the top right of my stereo as i use tomtom on it and it also connects to the stereo for app mode stuff:

its perfectly in view without being distracting. i used the brodit kit if you wanted to have a look into it.

IMG-20120612-00298_zpsa1468e95.jpg

I have my iPhone mounted at the top right of my stereo as i use tomtom on it and it also connects to the stereo for app mode stuff:

its perfectly in view without being distracting. i used the brodit kit if you wanted to have a look into it.

IMG-20120612-00298_zpsa1468e95.jpg

U have a bulb out :)

Reactions: J1 MBO
DSC_0027.jpg

Quite quick and easy to do, and didn't have mess up ashtray with body filler.

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 212