Power connection for Laser Alert

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have been looking at past posts about connecting up a permanent supply to various devices.

I have just been caught for the second time in a few months by a mobile speed camera van and whilst I have AA Speedcare on my PDA which takes care of fixed speed cameras I am going to add a Road Angel Laser Alert to help with the vans.

Can anyone confirm the best way to get 12v ignition switched power to this device.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I used the back of the cigarette lighter for the Geodessy - i know its permanent but I unplug my unit every night (and it was a much easier install) However there will be one at the back of the stereo, have you got any keys for it?

You can get an ignition switched 12v from the rear wiper feed in the fuse box.

Thanks guys. I give it a try when the Laser Alert arrives - just bought a new one off eBay for £34.99 (RRP £99.00).

Unfortunately the Elsawin only shows how to remove the fuse box unit in a LHD car, but I've had a look at mine and I think I can see what I have to do. I'll give it a go.

Do those things actually work? There's loads of them on the market now. Road Angel and Snooper seem to be the most common in ads.

I would think about one if they can give a heads up on the traffic cops hiding in bushes with their cameras round my way.

What can they spot?

They can, supposedly, give you a warning of any laser that is pointed at you car. If you are very close, less than 200m, and the operator points it at your number plate then they may not pick it up, but any further away and they will. You can get an add-on to fit behind the number plate as well. Gives an audible warning as well as a flashing light. My GPS system will cope with fixed cameras, but these are supposed to help with mobiles.

For £34.99 I thought it would be worth a try. Reasonable easy to fit - suckers onto the windscreen and a lead to a 12v source.

the only prob with Laser alerts is that usually the time it takes to lock on and get a speed fix is very small, so when you get a notification that its there its usually too late to slow down.......(of course being lazer there is very little reflection to pick up from toher cars)

however, i think that anything you can get to help you out is worth it..

Laser alerts are pretty useless as it only takes a fraction of a second to get a reading off your car, not really long enough to slow down. The only true counter measure is a laser diffuser like the Target LT450 garage door opener, which blocks the gun, alerts the driver then switches off so the gun can get a second (hopefully lower) reading.
Obviously illegal but then laser alerts will become illegal at some point next year, so if you're gonna get done for having one at least get done for having one that actually works.

I've got them fitted to both our cars now, (along with 2 RA2's) and it's saved both my wife and myself from a ban in the first year (currently on 6 points & 9 points respectively), so well worth the £300 each IMO.
Chances of getting caught? Very unlikely unless you really take the pi$$. There's so many speeders out there why bother with the paperwork, however if you get targetted by the same trap multiple times in a short space of time then they're likely to put 2&2 together, but then you're an idiot for speeding in a known trap area.

I shall have to practice my emergency stops !!!

[ QUOTE ]
The only true counter measure is a laser diffuser like the Target LT450 garage door opener, which blocks the gun, alerts the driver then switches off so the gun can get a second (hopefully lower) reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just looked that up Andy, very interesting piece of kit. Where did you locate/wire it to?

Kev.

David,

Its pretty straight forward to get the fuse box out so you can get to the back of it. So long as you have a set of torque's you'll be fine.

And assuming you have a set of tools then your more than qualified to take the car apart...

J.

Hi Marriedblonde

Yes I've had a look at the fuse box and it looks straight forward to remove - seems like just 2 torx screws holding it in place. How accessable are the wires at the back and which fuse number did you use. I hope to be able to scotchlock the wires to an existing supply and earth.

Unfortutately my copy of Elsawin only shows the LHD version which is a little different by all acounts.

Kevint - I located it just under the front number plate, had to cut away a small section of the lower grill. Routed the cable back through the ECU and into the drivers fottwell. Picked up power off the fusebox and mounted the speaker and switch to the right of the steering wheel under the dash.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Marriedblonde

Yes I've had a look at the fuse box and it looks straight forward to remove - seems like just 2 torx screws holding it in place. How accessable are the wires at the back and which fuse number did you use. I hope to be able to scotchlock the wires to an existing supply and earth.

Unfortutately my copy of Elsawin only shows the LHD version which is a little different by all acounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

It's a bit fiddly but there is enough space to get at them and fit a scotch lock

J.

I've now got the Laser Alert installed OK. No problem runnng the wire from the unit to the fuse box. Just pushed it down between the screen and the dash and along to the A pillar on the drivers side. Un-screwed the torx screws that secure the fuse box, but it did not seem to want to pull forward. Behind it the wires appears to be all wrapped and covered in one large bundle.

Decided to try another tact using some of the odd items I have left over from the past when wiring new spotlights, radios etc was the norm. Using a muti-meter and a double ended blade terminal I inserted it into each empty fuse holder on the fuse board to find one that had power when the ignition was turned on. Found one at position 30. Put a blade terminal on the positive wire and a ring on the negative. Connected the ring to one of the fuse box fixing screws and pushed the blade into the fuse box at position 30 and hey presto, all working OK. Then decided to add a 3amp fuse carrier in the positive feed just in case.

I have the Target unit. Sits in the garage. Was on my Subaru, and boy is it effective.............
I took it off the Subaru when I sold it and after discussing the issue with a Poiceman friend of mine decided not to fit it to the Audi.

The reason? apparently (at least here in sunny Leicestershire and I suppose elsewhere) they keep a list of reg numbers of vehicles where they get an error reading. After the same number appears a few times expect a visit from the Bill along with one of their vehicle examiners .....

Laser dtectors not worth the money they are printed on, only tell you that you have just bee measured, takes about 0.3 of a second to record your speed. Might be useful in picking up some laser scatter if you are in a line of vehicles, but unlikely. Radar detectors much more useful, but nobody uses radar anymore.

"The reason? apparently (at least here in sunny Leicestershire and I suppose elsewhere) they keep a list of reg numbers of vehicles where they get an error reading. After the same number appears a few times expect a visit from the Bill along with one of their vehicle examiners ....."

Yes we've all read the scaremonger stories in the press, guy arrested, car impounded etc etc. What you have to remember is he was zapped 40 times in the same month, he was seriously taking the pi$$, so got what was coming to him.
Couple of points:
1. I've got 9 points on my licence so very little to lose.
2. I've only been done 4 times by mobile laser traps in 20 years of driving, I'm not using this device in order to speed willy nilly all over the country and you're an idiot if you think that's what they're for. I always turn it off when I spot a trap, so if they are targetting me they'll get a normal reading.
The use of the device is to allow me to keep my licence should I get zapped when not concentrating (having to occasionally glance up from the speedo in order to drive!).
Even if the unit saves me once a year I doubt very much if they'll tie up the reg, and this would only work if the events are in the same county.

To not use the device based on your research seems crazy as if you're really that paranoid you could safely use it until you get zapped 3 times then deinstall it, at least it'll save you £180 & 9 points.
Radar detectors are a complete waste of time as they just constantly go off at every pedestrian crossing & shop front and drive you beserk, regardless of the fact that none of the new style camera's use radar.
You need a GPS system & a difuser for full protection.

It seems slightly hypocritical that people won't use a device because it's illegal, but are quite happy to illegally speed.

Use what ever you want and if you could buy a device that blinded the f*ckers as they targeted you, get one of them too! They are money making scum and I always give them the bird and a round of abuse if I drive past one or see them in traffic.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

Iv'e thought of a Lidatek a few times, just becomes expensive when you need a double kit for the car, and a double kit for the bike!
They try to get bikes from behind as a rule, although they have been known to laser the front and write the number down when you pass them.

Mmmmm interesting points, might just have a look at where my garage opener might fit......