2.0T FSI SPORT

Aidy06

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a used A3 with DSG. It has full service history, it says the cambelt was last changed at 60k - it's now at 108k. I've booked it in to get done on Wednesday, there's nothing in the service book that mentions the DSG service. Should I assume this hasn't been done also? What parts do I need to do that? Also the temp gauge likes to fluctuate between 70 and 90, I've read online that this could be considered normal but it doesn't seem right. Last question is I have the Concert single DIN stereo with no CD changer, what is the best way to make this functional with an iPod? Thanks

I can help with the temperature I have the same engine and mine did the same, common fault with the thermostat you new one about 35 quid a pain to fit, it's a good couple of hours work.. But it will run much better after

If doing cambelt, which I'd advise you do, have the water pump changed at same time, and since coolant system is being drained, for good measure, renew the thermostat.

Yip def have DSG oil and filter changed. Requires 5 litres of DSG oil plus the filter element costing about £80.

Also consider renewing the HPFP cam follower.

Cheers, do you have the part number for the thermostat by any chance? There seems to be a few different ones and I'm unsure which I need, thanks again

If doing cambelt, which I'd advise you do, have the water pump changed at same time, and since coolant system is being drained, for good measure, renew the thermostat.

Yip def have DSG oil and filter changed. Requires 5 litres of DSG oil plus the filter element costing about £80.

Also consider renewing the HPFP cam follower.

+1 and would recommend doing the DSG oil every 40k miles as a minimum
I inspect my cam follower every 20k miles. My cam follower was looking mint at 80k miles but I replaced it at 100k miles as it showed some signs of wear.

Cheers, do you have the part number for the thermostat by any chance? There seems to be a few different ones and I'm unsure which I need, thanks again

I got mine from eurocarparts although I know alot of people think genuine is better on there it's part number 209440480 28.20

Is there a difference between tip tropic and DSG box? Would mine be the DSG box?

+1 and would recommend doing the DSG oil every 40k miles as a minimum
I inspect my cam follower every 20k miles. My cam follower was looking mint at 80k miles but I replaced it at 100k miles as it showed some signs of wear.

How big a job is getting the cam follower renewed?

How big a job is getting the cam follower renewed?

Very simple and low cost.

If I remember the follower is about £50 and its a job well worth doing especially if you modify the car.

If it fails it can do a lot of damage.

Is there a difference between tip tropic and DSG box? Would mine be the DSG box?

You will have a DSG as you mentioned you have a 2.0T. The 'tiptronic' box is just a conventional auto.

You could also try replacing the temp sensor on the right hand side of the engine as a first port of call. It costs stuff all and its a 5min job.

You will have a DSG as you mentioned you have a 2.0T. The 'tiptronic' box is just a conventional auto.

You could also try replacing the temp sensor on the right hand side of the engine as a first port of call. It costs stuff all and its a 5min job.

I was understanding that tiptronic was flappy paddles to change gears thus not being an conventional automatic but a DSG

Tip and DSG both offer paddle option. Operationally the gearboxes work in far differing ways.
Do a google and you'll find out how.

Then which models come with tiptronic?

I have an a3 2.0tdi DSG but the owners manual states tiptronic, I just thought DSG was VW's branding and tip/s tronic was audis

With tip tronic, you wont get the conventional rev needle climb/drop as it goes through the gears, it will be one continuous sweeping motion (it will usually try to hold around 2000 rpm unless you boot it), tip tronic and s tronic(DSG) are totally different technologies

the double clutch arrangement (S-tronic is same as DSG) comes in 6 speed and 7 speed dependant on engine.
older cars from about 2003 are 6 speed.

Having trouble locating a cam follower, Eurocarparts doesn't stock them. Anywhere else that will sell them? I'm guessing Audi will but I'm also guessing they'll be expensive? Thanks

TPS or Audi with this type of part Europarts wont have it, dont think its expensive from audi anyway less than £50 anyway

think about £25 from audi or vw. it's called the plunger on the parts list.

Just ordered one form OEMparts.co.uk
£28.95 delivered, will try my hand at fitting it this weekend. Read all the guides I can find and it looks pretty straight forward, hope it has been changed in the past as the car is on 109k miles now. Dread to think of the damage if it's never been changed