S3 Turbo Kits? Apart from IHI - What is there?

Rich, doesn't that DN Performance one stick out too far from the head ? A bit close to the bulkhead ?

Chris.

Nice run there... pushing those stock rods though... over 300lbs/ft and he will have a hole in the side of the block.

I will have to wait now for the right S3 to come along and then go from there. See what deal comes up at the right time and with a bit of luck I will be over 300 comfortably for a fair price.

Cheers,
Leon

I believe that Gregs A4 has a large port heaqd, same as mine...so torque figures are down compared to larger port head for the same bhp... It is however not representative as on the road, there is no difference.... Large port heads achieve same flow rate but at lower boost i.e 1.25bar with BP head, will flow same amount of air as 1.5bar with SP head (not actually...but you get the idea!)

Also 210/225 are 9:1 com ratio compared to 150/180 at 9.5:1

Now i also think the 28RS is a little too big, however there are enough people running them especially in the US. I wonder if ATP have compressor maps for the eliminators? They are guaranteed to be different compared to a virgin 28RS

Rich

You IHI are you RyanC?

ATP do not have an eliminator yet for our motors - only for the A4's...

Surely on the A4 with 9.5:1 - he should have less lag than a 210/25 motor?

I think my IHI came on boost from about 3500-4k... it WAS laggy - coudnt imagine being in a heavier car and it being more laggy :-/

They do them for the transverse..But dont seem to be anywhere on their site... Will email them to check.

Mine is fully on boost by 3500 in 2nd, and 3000 in higher gears... Thats with a p18 housing

Rich

I had a VERY early steel welded manifold by Jabba - good for 500 Brake apparently... quite a "special" manifold. Turbo say at the top of the motor... so may explain the lag - and seeing as it ran G60 management - who knows how well it was actually setup - it did afterall go pop!

Just a quick question.
I don't know if anyone has gone for the IHI upgrade with Jabbasport or anyone else, but what
is the life expectancy of the engine with this sort of power?
Is it likely to pop within 20k miles? Or is the 1.8T engine in an S3 strong enough to handle this kind of boost?

i have the ihi kit on my s3.Bill has tested a stage 3 kit on 30k very very hard track miles and the engine was suffering but by no means dead.

So how has your S3 withstood the ihi Ryanc? Any problems at all?
Also, what's the fuel consumption like?

s3 seems ok(touch wood),no problems,fuel consumption is hard to say as my dis is not accurate with the bigger injectors but it is in the 20's with the way i drive.

I'm in the middle of prepping my car for a big turbo conversion. I've read with interest about Ryanc's IHI, I've considered a QST/MTM conversion, or the AMD Stage 4, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

Jim, down at Star Performance should be getting K04 Eliminator manifolds and GT28RS' in for March. That would be an option much closer to home.

I'm aiming for about 330 - 350bhp. I'll be changing out the valves at the same time, the FMIC should be fitted by then, and I'll probably get a turbo back exhaust too. Is there anything else that should be upgraded while I'm in there? I know it's a bit like asking which re-map is best, but any opinions on big turbo conversions?

Is there anyone else out there who's had a big turbo conversion?

Just want to know if an s3 can run reliably on 350bhp, or whether it's just a matter of time before it goes pop.

Also depends on which engine you have,early s3's have 20mm pins which can take a bit more grunt.

So is it safe or not?
I know all the tuners will try to convince me that it's all fine and well within the tolerances of the engine...blah blah...

I've been running an IHI on my A3 for the last 18 months now @ 320bhp, and not a single power ralted problem has arisen! its perfectly safe!!

Hi Rich,
So does the engine require any strengthened internal components (pistons, valves etc)?
I'm extremely tempted. And what's the lag like compared to a standard remapped s3?

Glen,

Nope nothing strengthened just yet. The next series of power increasing events will be some major work...But that wont til next year probably.

I'm seeing 1.45 bar boost by 3800rpm, a little sooner in the higher gears... But it starts pulling from under 3000rpm. Getting 1.4 bar at redline too.

Rich

Just spoke to some chap at Jabba sport.
He tells me that it is completely safe to run a BAM engine type 1.8T motor at up to 350bhp, and
has asked me to have a drive on their demo A3 quattro with ihi fitted.

Is the power difference really that much? It is only a 1.8 litre at the end of the day.
350 sounds like a slightly crafted figure to me.

The 1.8T engine can produce really very high BHP and torque figures.

Take a look at some of the american forums. You often see figures upwards of 400BHP!
Some have strengthened internals, and others with standard large port heads, but almost all have standard capacity.

Bill brockbanks IHI 1.8T seat ibiza is putting out 450bhp I believe. That is a jabbsport tuned car.

Exhaust driven turbo chargers are a wonderful thing!!!!

Rich... you are running a 150-80BHP motor which in most cases is weaker than the S3 motor - therefore if Rich can run over 300BHP reliably - then I think it safe to assume there would not be any power related problems.

Trouble comes after 300lbs/ft - on the 1.8T and LATE 225BHP S3 motors. The 210 & early 225 motors have the slightly stronger internals as mentioned above and I beleive they are safe for upto 350lbs/ft. That is what I have gathered in my time of looking into all of this.

350 is a little optimistic i think, but it wont be far off that figure! THe difference is night and day!

Its all about the gudeon pins. They usually fail first.

You can swap to the larger items with very little hassle if you want to the extra strength.

Indeed the some blocks have a thicker side wall (reduced size coolant passages), but they always seem to throw a rod before anything else.

The AGU is the strongest 1.8T around - Seems to be able to take alot of abuse!! Stronger than the 21/225 units.

Rich

What about the Haldex coupling? Is that capable of transfering this kind of energy (or up to 50% of this power) to the back wheels when needed?
Oh and the clutch. Does that need uprating?

I'm still rather nervous, but am slowly being convinced.

Clutch will be OK as long as you dont do standing starts, but will go eventually.

HGP and HPA mtorsport, all use standard haldex, with uprated controllers...and they are pushing 650bhp!!

Its just a case of time before these big turbo engines throw a leg out of bed IMHO if driven daily. You have to be prepared to throw more money and time in for when it goes clank.

I also wonder about the abuse the 4WD suffers with this power given the known audi weekness' with gearboxes.

Surely VAG engineered the 210/225 lumps internally stronger than the 150/180 lumps???

Well only time will tell i guess - good luck guys.

I believe alot of B5 RS4's spewed gearboxes due to high torque figures hence why they made the RS6 spackatronic.

Now i hear all B7 RS4's have been re-called due to faulty gearboxes.

It puts me off a bit given the B5 RS4 was only 380hp and the had a gearbox designed for that output.

I've just booked a test drive in Jabbasport's ihi'd A3 quattro.
Is there anything that you guys feel I should ask them while I'm there?

These are things they've told me so far:

- Fuel economy should be no different if driven sensibly.
- There's two versions of the ihi. One is designed for less lag (so power earlier), and the other V34S I think it is, is designed for more top end power at the expense of more lag.
- Large intercooler isn't necessary, but the engine may develop less power during a hot summer's day.
- Given that the ecu is mapped properly, the motor will be very reliable.

-Fuel economy will suffer a little...but not greatly!
-There is the VF-34 with P18 housing and P20 housing. P20 produces a little more power at the sacrifice of a little more lag
- You need an intercooler..standard S3 ones just wont do it!
- Yep!

AGU is a strong engine but so is the APY both with 20mm pins.Remember Rich the s3 has forged pistons and the agu doesn't.
I have a vf34 p20 and i see 1.5bar@3600rpm.
Personally i think the p18 may be better suited to a s3 with standard intercoolers.
The weak points on the bam engine is the rods/pins so i can't see mike going much more than 330lb/t.

Thinking about the jabba conversion for my AMK s3, does anyone know where my engine sits in the league table of strength.

[ QUOTE ]
AGU is a strong engine but so is the APY both with 20mm pins.Remember Rich the s3 has forged pistons and the agu doesn't.
I have a vf34 p20 and i see 1.5bar@3600rpm.
Personally i think the p18 may be better suited to a s3 with standard intercoolers.
The weak points on the bam engine is the rods/pins so i can't see mike going much more than 330lb/t.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pistons have never been a weak point though... Only things that ever fail from too much power (that i've heard of...engine wise) are the rods and valves (but thats more due to high revs)

Rich

So I've noticed that your corrado blew up running 343 bhp. Is that the 1.8T engine that is currently in the S3's?
It's slightly disconcerting if this is the case, as Jabba sport have reassured me that its safe to run 350 bhp on a BAM engined s3.

[ QUOTE ]
So I've noticed that your corrado blew up running 343 bhp. Is that the 1.8T engine that is currently in the S3's?
It's slightly disconcerting if this is the case, as Jabba sport have reassured me that its safe to run 350 bhp on a BAM engined s3.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an APY engine if I remember but not on stock management so hard to compare!

Also your engine could go bang tomorrow even if stock, mine did last year, so I wouldn't worry too much if it's done right - and I would say Jabba do things right!

I believe that failure was due to running G60 management, and not a failure due to power! Power doesnt melt pistons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

so are we saying that it is inadequate engine management that causes failure?
How does that work? Running the engine too lean?

Best speak to ZeroK66 about that!

never heard of such problem running motronic.

Rich