Anyone else played with the tt exhaust on their s3 ??

JonBoi25

Reaction score
Hi again!,

Been a while since ive posted on here!

I recently made up a cat back system for my s3 , stainless steel with a cherry bomb to replace the resonator.

Im happy with the system as its light and cuts down the weight of the standard set up however, ive been looking at the tt scorpion / miltek exhausts and im wondering if they have the same floor plan i.e will the tt system fit the s3 ( it looks like it should!) has anyone toyed with this idea ???

Cheers , Jon

TT back box in principle should fit but the twin outlets on the TT back box would require you to cut the bumper and then you would need to make it look right too...

<tuffty/>

quattro TT has same floor plan yes

problems would be that the bumper only has one cut out for the s3's twin tip, so its not a round cut out like the TT, also, if you were to put 2 round cut outs into the s3 bumper, you dont know how deep the TT exhaust would need to go into it.

it'd be alot of mocking up, measuring, cutting, moulding, painting. But i think it would look quite good.

there is a member on here that fitted an RS4 style exhaust to his s3 using the rs4 bumper, alot of work, but looked really really well.

TT has a shorter wheelbase than the S3... floor pan is a little different but the complete system would fit with modification

<tuffty/>

Or just cut the o/s exit off the backbox and weld it up but i guess you want to use a TT system for the dual exit lol.

Interesting! Never knew this.

Don't you remember the issue Welly had with the TT propshaft he bought for bumble?... this is why TT rear bench is small and the front seats have a different subframe to other Mk4 chassis cars

<tuffty/>

ooooooooooh, now you mention it I do remember a TT prop shaft issue.

I thought the seat subframes were different for height reasons due to the lower roof line, obviously not :)

would it not just be easier to fit a 180 bhp backbox as this only has 1 tail pipe?

Cheers for you comments people,
It's quite interesting as I noticed it when I was trying to design a custom system for myself, if you look at the two standard systems online you'll see they're pretty much identical other than the tailpipe, with this in mind and the fact the miltek system is cheaper for the tt back then I was just thinking it would be a good way to have a exhaust that's not so common and that's cheaper too :)!. Obviously with work to the bumper which could be tricky. Could be fun though

Birdy the thought was to have a dual outlet a bit similar to the older golf r32 :)

oh i see sorry i didnt get that bit lol

I've been toying with doing this myself as well, I think it would look pretty good. Originally wanted to have 2 duals like the S5 but as the back isn't as wide it would look a bit odd and the tow hook is in the way also.
My mate changed his exhaust on his TT so has his standard one just taking up space in his garage. Might ponce it to mock up and see what would need to be done.

I think it could look good with the dual exit, like the original R32.

Reactions: JonBoi25
Cheers for your further comments :).

Yeah I think it could look quite good too. The bumper would need some work to suit but I think it could look quite smart!. Lemon S3 defo give it a try and post some pictures of how you get on please.

why not use a R32 backbox ?

That's more likely to fit as well. Had a look at ones on ebay and the fixings and pipe going into the back box look very similar to the S3's. Going to cost at least £100 for a standard R32 exhaust so I'll offer my mates TT exhaust first. I would like to change the tips to oval so they fit the S3 bumper cut out better.

I've seen the part of the TT bumper where the exhausts exit grafted on to an A3 bumper (but it might've been a Golf).
Can't find the pic but something like this on this Golf

Uploadfromtaptalk1362618163018

Yeah I managed to get hold of an old rs4 exhaust a while back as I tried just the one oval on the left hand side. It looked ok and fitted quite nicely in the bumper so two would be pretty cool. Cheers for your other posts guys and lemon let me know how you get on :)!!

You're right, must've been a Golf I'd seen it on then, might work on a non-S3 if you colour coded the black plastic part

just some inspiration:
rs4exhaust.jpg

courtesy of a member on here.
RS4 style exhaust, S3 bumper completely re moulded

there was another european member who had done the same with an actual RS4 bumper

just some inspiration:
rs4exhaust.jpg

courtesy of a member on here.
RS4 style exhaust, S3 bumper completely re moulded

there was another european member who had done the same with an actual RS4 bumper

I so f***ing want that.....wish I could weld neatly :p

I've borrowed my mates old standard TT exhaust and he said if it fits without modification then I can have it but I reckon it will need modding slightly even though I haven't put it up against mine yet. I've not been able to do anything yet as I thought it would be a good idea to do an over head kick at football on saturday, ended up landing on the side of my head, nearly knocking myself unconscious, and the top of my shoulder, my heads fine but my shoulder is a little worse for ware. I probably shouldn't have carried on playing for a further 15 minutes, after seeing the x-ray lol.
Check this bad *** bruise out, looks mouldy.
shoulderxray.jpg
074023d2-993c-4727-9064-8f5512ef40a3.jpg

Anyways....
I decided to do a bit of photoshopping to see what twin pipes would look like and what tip would be best.

Original round TT tips
twinroundexhausts.jpg

RS4 style oval tips
twinovalexhausts.jpg

I personally think the oval looks better as it fills the cut out in the bumper better.

good effort on the pics dude.
but heres my beef with people attempting dual exit on an s3.... they're too close together.
they leave the original one where it is, and just mirror its position on the other side. Idont think the S3 suits it at all, somehow the TT does (rounder, fatter rear end?).
the only decent option in my opinion is in that white s3 i posted. its the only one that looks, sort of normal

You mean like this:

photo-1.jpg

This does look better I admit but there's so much more work involved, the whole bumper would need remoulding and painted and the towing eye would need to be removed.

All you need to do on the first option is cut out a bit for the other exhaust.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, that's what I don't like about the white one, I'm not keen on how the bumper's been done, quite like the grey insert, would look better black. I'm really limited to what I can photoshop though as I'm only using the photo preview app on my mac.

Wider TT tips:
widerroundexhausts.jpg

Did this for sh1ts and giggles, mini cooper style:
photocopy.jpg

Pagani Zonda stye:
photocopy-1.jpg

Yes I am bored!

Last edited:
Haha love the photoshop work lemon!. That's really helped with getting an idea of what things would look like. Thanks a lot :). Really sorry to hear about your football accident hope it heals up soon.
Looking at the Tailpipe options I think the easy option with modifying for the tt exhaust looks alright really. I know what you guys mean with the exits being a bit close but I still like it that way, similar to the r32 :)!.
.gl be looking to redo my custom exhaust soon, going to fit a cutout valve. Quiet and loud :)