A3 Sportback Starting Problems

Lumbyla

Reaction score
Hi

I currently own an 57 plate 1.9TDI A3 Sportback - during the recent cold snap we have had i've started to experience problems starting the car. The engine turns over fine but just does not seem to fire. This never seems to happen from a cold start but usually after I have had the car running, turned the engine off and then tried to start it again. After a couple of times trying to start the car the battery dies. If I get a jump start the car fires up fine. I've not done anything to the car recently so can't think what is going on i'm a little reluctant to fork out on a new battery if there is something else amiss. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards
Andy

Change the battery, they are only good for around 4 years so if yours is the original battery it's done well!

also based on that yours will only turn over a few times before dying

Other than the battery, the 'Hot Start Issue' has been covered loads... Most will say replace battery (I feel this will sort you out) as well as starter motor. However as proved with mine it is a software issue that requires a remap of the fuelling to inject more fuel when the engine is hot. Alot have changed both and still have a hot start issue

dont skimp out on the battery too, you get what you pay for. Varta Silver I think is best

Cheers for the info - I think it is the original battery in there. I'm guessing if it was a "hot start" issue it wouldn't fire up even if it was jumped?

I'll grab myself a battery me thinks

Thanks again :)

Yes it would still start when using jump leads with a hot start issue, it would just take a few moments cranking (as a normal hot start issue)

Using jump leads on modern cars is not a great idea due to voltage spikes/surges to the ECU, but some times you got to do it!

I'm certain a new battery will sort it out