Audi A3 quattro vs ClioSport 172 vs Pulsar GtiR vs Passat TDI vs Jardo's old cars....

Anything Robin says is right, he's pretty ****ing clever for a vegetarian.

Robin and I are literal polar opposites, but we've got on alright for the last five or six years. When he's not pointing out the realities of my thoughts haha

lol at the vegetarian coment! technically I'm pescetarian (screw fish). I'm not always right though, I screw up just like everyone else!

Hence this:

I thought it would be obvious that I was taking the p!ss! :laugh:

haha, well you got me! Ah well, like I said, it's just something that bugs me as a lot of people don't seem to fully understand the relationship between power and torque.

What none of you have realised or said is that you need torque to make power at given revs.

I very much realised it, but mechanical power is by definition nothing more than a function of force and movement, in this case torque and rotational velocity. It didn't need saying because within the context it was implied entirely by the word 'power'. (I'll shut up now)

For the record, I also don't care about racing people on the street. My Scirocco should be quicker than a standard S3, but slower than a standard Clio, I just don't care enough to bother finding out. (150bhp, 920kg = 163bhp/ton)

Last edited:
TBH Robin you have knocked the nail on the head, Ron is quick, Ron will be quicker after i bring it back from Rtech, but i will put my V5 on it, my 140 BHP mk5 golf will 'feel' quicker because of Torque nothing more nothing less

so before i call this thread CLOSED i do have one last thing to add

A clio is a horrible little car that is riddled with electrics that dont work properly, made to a very low price, fail to hold any real value, and have loads of issues with control modules, Trust me i worked for a renault Indy when they were new and they were **** then, rattley sunroofs, keys losing the immo programming, cambelts snapping at 30k not the 72k qouted, road springs break at the mere sight on rain

so with that in mind IM correct, Renault are ****E and are only good for old dears doing the shopping or young lads who cant drive for ****

THREAD CLOSED :)

TBH Robin you have knocked the nail on the head, Ron is quick, Ron will be quicker after i bring it back from Rtech, but i will put my V5 on it, my 140 BHP mk5 golf will 'feel' quicker because of Torque nothing more nothing less

so before i call this thread CLOSED i do have one last thing to add

A clio is a horrible little car that is riddled with electrics that dont work properly, made to a very low price, fail to hold any real value, and have loads of issues with control modules, Trust me i worked for a renault Indy when they were new and they were **** then, rattley sunroofs, keys losing the immo programming, cambelts snapping at 30k not the 72k qouted, road springs break at the mere sight on rain

so with that in mind IM correct, Renault are ****E and are only good for old dears doing the shopping or young lads who cant drive for ****

THREAD CLOSED :)
My Dad has workedfor renault for about 18 years now, and whilst you sound alot like him there lol, on sunday he told me he might buy something fun, and might get an RS clio. So some conflicting views there on the clios.

If we want to be winners we all need Pulsars as we discovered last time; so what are we waiting for.

If we want to be winners we all need Pulsars as we discovered last time; so what are we waiting for.

Now in 1998 when i drove one i loved it so much, its just a little, hmm, you know, Dated now, the inside is (like all jap stuff) bland :) but not as bad as my beige inside :)

....not as bad as my beige inside :)

That's enough about your intimate regions Phil!

The beige interior was the only thing about my Passat that I actually disliked. Who has ever actually wanted a beige interior?

I miss that Passat, infact screw this Clio vs S3 nonsence, everyone needs a 1.6td B3 Passat estate, they're amazing! That way when someone races you, instead of thrashing it, and going "oh no! I lost!" you just sit there in comfort, listening to music and cruising along getting 55mpg while thinking to your self "no **** idiot, I've got 66bhp/ton, does it really make you feel big beating me?" Then you arrive at the beach 2 minutes after them, (because you only ever drive to beaches if you're cool enough to have an old estate car) drag your board/bike/other-active-sport-thing out of the huge boot and have some fun while they sit there eating McDonnalds.

I'm all for driving fast, but coming across another car while I'm doing it spoils the drive for me. Rather than wanting to race them, I just feel ashamed that someone caught me doing a naughty but fun thing...... and now we're back to the sex jokes, damn-it!

Ahh the good old AAZ TD engine, awesome, a friend has just bought an A reg passat est, iirc 2lt petrol??? anyway its the coolest thing ive seen in a long time :)

No-no-no, 1.6td, not 1.9 ;) (SB engine code). Personally I prefer the 1.6td over the 1.9td, but I'd rather have the 1.9tdi (1z) over both. They're all brilliantly slow, but also awesome on fuel and capable of intergalactic mileages with nothing more than the odd oil-change.

A-reg must be a B2 right? Love those, and the 2l will be a 5 pot in that case? awesome if so. I'd love a B2 estate as a daily driver, preferably with added modern diesel engine and lots of extra sound deadening, hmm.. I wonder what they can tow legaly....

IMHO it's image that's the key.

I've owned a few turbo cars, classics in most people's view.
Mk1 gt4 Toyota
Maz rx7
R33 gtst skyline
R34 gtt skyline

Now big variations on build quality, but I felt truly proud to drive them.

Many many newer cars are faster than these cars in standard trim than a standard skyline for example.

Who cares, image is everything.
That's why I've now gone for audi.

Id have kept the r34 over the audi mate or even the rx7.

You're instantly termed a "ricer" here if you have a Skyline. That and the insurance is crazy on a GTR (can't go in half baked).

R35 is different story mind you :)

So what's next, red top nova's, ek9's, colt cyborgs? Pretty sure they'd be up with and past s3 territory all for a fraction of the cost. But they don't have the class that the Audi badge provides, you could roll upto a wedding or a funeral, you could get out of it in jeans and trainers or a full suit with mirror shine shoes and wouldn't look out of place. Surely this is the reason you buy a fat heavy underpowered SAFE Audi.

Reactions: dancupra225
So what's next, red top nova's, ek9's, colt cyborgs? Pretty sure they'd be up with and past s3 territory all for a fraction of the cost. But they don't have the class that the Audi badge provides, you could roll upto a wedding or a funeral, you could get out of it in jeans and trainers or a full suit with mirror shine shoes and wouldn't look out of place. Surely this is the reason you buy a fat heavy underpowered SAFE Audi.
i got mine to sell crack to kids. so yeh, wide range of uses and images

So what's next, red top nova's, ek9's, colt cyborgs? Pretty sure they'd be up with and past s3 territory all for a fraction of the cost. But they don't have the class that the Audi badge provides, you could roll upto a wedding or a funeral, you could get out of it in jeans and trainers or a full suit with mirror shine shoes and wouldn't look out of place. Surely this is the reason you buy a 10 year old £1500 banger which is fat heavy underpowered SAFE Audi, which is so obviously the best car you can afford to anybody who doesn't know what they are looking at.

Wow, you really are boring. I've edited your quote to give more detail too. If you have bought your Audi to buy into "the badge" you are a total flange, I bought all of my Audi's (5 now) because it was something I liked and enjoyed. I don't get a buzz out of owning an Audi, it's just a car and not a reflection of who you are as a person.

Has hanging around with Tony rubbed off on you? :p

LOL Karl, if you want to sell drugs you need a bike. Bicycles are the most widely used mode of transport for distribution and logistics in the world, the po po are never going to expect a drug lord on a bicycle.

Last edited:
OP: Results are as expected - Quattro and boost helped your launch. the Clio is hampered by FWD in a launch situation.

I've owned an RS 172, a RS 172 Cup (the lighter one) and an S3.

Real world: Both were slower than a stock S3 in a straight line (the Cup had an RS Tuner map and YozzaSport exhaust). After getting a Stg 1 remap on the S3, the Clios would be left pretty far behind...

FWIW - Both would *destroy* a stock S3 around a track.

All these who is faster than who threads , I love them,
Every race is diffrent so is each driver.
Would you lot say an EP3 civic type R would stay with a stage 2 S3?

Never in a straight line. It would hang it out to dry in the corners though.

Now this used to be a popular ( common) car where i used to be a naughty boy and race most nights...
Most not a problem anywhere. One ... a mates, Would make soo much on the corners he never left my bumper.
Tuned? Nope, He knew how to drive it "keep it on 'Tec" was all he would say.
So when you see these threads... i think more about the driver to be honest.

Pointless racing thread, I know...

Would you lot say an EP3 civic type R would stay with a stage 2 S3?

Comparing like with like: Get a K100/ K-Pro (ECU), a Gruppe M induction kit, a Toda manifiold and a Spoon pipe on the EP3 and it'd be even on the straights too - (for marginally less money than the Stg 2 conversion on the S3!). Bread-van's [EP3's] are rapid but the lack of feel through the helm is unforgivable. An Integra DC5 though...

would it not be easier to hand this debate over to our tame racing driver?????

Wow, you really are boring. I've edited your quote to give more detail too. If you have bought your Audi to buy into "the badge" you are a total flange, I bought all of my Audi's (5 now) because it was something I liked and enjoyed. I don't get a buzz out of owning an Audi, it's just a car and not a reflection of who you are as a person.

Has hanging around with Tony rubbed off on you? :p

LOL Karl, if you want to sell drugs you need a bike. Bicycles are the most widely used mode of transport for distribution and logistics in the world, the po po are never going to expect a drug lord on a bicycle.

I don't understand the edit you did.. And yea, I bought an Audi for quality and safety, not speed. After a head on collision caused by a drunk driver completely writing off my first car I got an Audi for the safety straight away. You probably wouldn't understand the need for safety because you are one of those people who only crash cars due to your own stupidity.

And no, if hanging around with tony has rubbed off on me why would I have a diesel and I deffinately wouldn't have a highly modified Audi like yours because I, like you, wouldn't be able to afford to declare all the modifications to insurance companies. Insurance is a ***** until 12 months time, where something lairy such as an 8p S3 or 2.7TT S4 becomes affordable. It's boring at the minute because I'm not an old fart like you! :p

I don't understand the edit you did.. And yea, I bought an Audi for quality and safety, not speed. After a head on collision caused by a drunk driver completely writing off my first car I got an Audi for the safety straight away. You probably wouldn't understand the need for safety because you are one of those people who only crash cars due to your own stupidity.

And no, if hanging around with tony has rubbed off on me why would I have a diesel and I deffinately wouldn't have a highly modified Audi like yours because I, like you, wouldn't be able to afford to declare all the modifications to insurance companies. Insurance is a ***** until 12 months time, where something lairy such as an 8p S3 or 2.7TT S4 becomes affordable. It's boring at the minute because I'm not an old fart like you! :p

And I would never drive a diesel ever. :)

I had a huge crash in a Rover coupe when I was 17, smashed it to pieces and wrote off a Merc (as you apparently know). The car I bought the next week was a 290bhp Saab 900 Turbo. As long as you learn your lesson and move on from it there is no stupidity about it, we all make mistakes at some point or another. The smart ones are better people for it.

I can afford to pay my insurance with all the mods declared; fully comp with all extras. Which makes me happy. Because in spite of my previous driving mistakes I used to run the risk of not declaring; I have had all sorts of high power cars undeclared.

But as with the car crashes thing I learnt the error of my ways the hard way and would never be so reckless again, it was a ****ing crazy thing to do looking back. But unlike most people my life is cars and always has been, I was just a young kid who wanted to drive cars and thought I could get away with it. Where as most peoples first cars were Corsas and Fiestas my first road legal car was a 750IL V12 BMW on a trade policy.

You can't stereotype people who don't declare things to insurance companies; the Mercedes I wrote off in my Rover accident was uninsured. The late 50's businessman who owned it had swapped over his private numberplate before the entitlement came back and hadn't told his insurance company; so he lost his £80,000 Merc.

Yey for the ASN think-tank/ramblings.

Why not a diesel? 60 mpg, still fairly pokey, free james bond style smoke screen, worth more money in the long run, 2 years warranty on every component. Thats what attracted me to it, for money saving you cant go wrong, and lets be honest with the luck i had with the 1.8T I wasn't saving any money at the end of each month. They way i see it, sacrifice 12 months of saving with a diesel to buy a fast car as a base and be an age where insurance isn't 4k because lets be honest, who can really justify spending that on insurance?!

You must be what, 23? what sort of insurance cost is it with all mods declared?

Was it your 205 that you smashed up near derriford, or am i thinking of someone else?

I just don't do diesel, I can't stand the way they drive and I hate having a hand that smells of **** when I fill up. I work for Mazda though who have by far the best diesel engine on the market, it's the only one I'd want to own for sure.

1.8t's have been so good to me I've got no reason to need to change. I'm sure if yours had of been a bit better you might think the same, you do need to drive them a certain way and treat them well but I've had a combined mileage of over 400,000 out of 1.8t's and never once had a mechanical problem. Whilst easily getting mid 30's MPG wise and 200bhp+ in all of them.

I'm 22, but I work hard and live for cars so for me I don't think £81 a month to drive my car is too bad. I've been driving or 5 years and have 5 years no claims bonus though, despite having two write offs I've never had to make a claim. The only stupid insurance I've ever had was £436 a month to insure my highly modified Mk2 GTI when I was 17.

Yup, twas me who ruined my 205, but not at Deriford roundabout.

251837_10151622207100130_1004401327_n.jpg

I don't do practicality in cars, I don't care about fuel economy and I don't really give a **** about how fast they are,it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I quite enjoy quirky and impractical cars that people think are stupid. The A3 is the newest car I've ever owned; but that's out of choice not budget. I skipped the 80's and 90's bangers and have always had 50's to 70's classic cars. My other car is a 1955 Ford 100e that I will keep until the day I die, which might tell you all you need to know.

I skipped the 80's and 90's bangers.....

You mentioned owning 2 '80s cars within that post you tit :p Off the top of my head you've owned an audi 80 coupe, an e36, a mk2 golf (or several?) at least one 80s saab (cool car), that 205, a b5 Passat, a B3 Passat, a mk2 Scirocco... I'm sure there's more. I've got absolutely nothing against your car buying routine, but you've far from skipped the 80's and 90s haha. Speaking of your B5 Passat, that'd be a 1.8t with less than 200bhp.... ;)

I put a stage 1 custom code on it, went alright but I had already agreed the deal on the Golf.

What I meant was crap cars, I have had 80's and 90's cars, but just not **** ones that people normally associate with the 80's and 90's.

You could maybe class my Sierra as 80's tat, but it was an immaculate 21,000 mile Paris Blue 2.0 4x4 Ghia X estate with cloth chatsworth trim; which I think is not **** anyway.