Cam chain tensioner vvt??

darren t

Reaction score
Hi my car has now developed a rattle on startup sometimes it goes when Revs up other times it has to be driven a bit it's getting worse as now does it while choke is on and dosent want too go away I can do cambelt ect take head off but this is a first too me so I want too do it without taking exshaust cam. Out any pointers ????and would this cause me high cfs if failing at high rpm??

Firstly there is no such thing as a choke on modern engines... :)

The tensioner can be changed by just removing the inlet cam... make sure the engine is at TDC when you do it... you need to use a cam chain tensioner tool to compress the tensioner (typically this comes with the new tensioner)...

Things to be aware of... undo the cam caps uniformly so that the cam lifts up square else you will damage the bearing faces, make sure you count 16 rollers on the cam chain when refitting and replace the gasket under the tensioner (comes with the half moon seal and is around a fiver from a dealer)

This link will help
VWVortex.com - FAQ : Cylinder Head & Camshaft Removal + Re-Installation

Please note a replacement VVT tensioner is around 300-400 quid from a dealer... GSF do one (OEM one IIRC) for around £250

<tuffty/>

Firstly there is no such thing as a choke on modern engines... :)

The tensioner can be changed by just removing the inlet cam... make sure the engine is at TDC when you do it... you need to use a cam chain tensioner tool to compress the tensioner (typically this comes with the new tensioner)...

Things to be aware of... undo the cam caps uniformly so that the cam lifts up square else you will damage the bearing faces, make sure you count 16 rollers on the cam chain when refitting and replace the gasket under the tensioner (comes with the half moon seal and is around a fiver from a dealer)

This link will help
VWVortex.com - FAQ : Cylinder Head & Camshaft Removal + Re-Installation

Please note a replacement VVT tensioner is around 300-400 quid from a dealer... GSF do one (OEM one IIRC) for around £250

<tuffty/>
hi tuffty I managed too get a tensioner today for 75 pounds brand new but not genuine came with 12 months warranty Chinese I think will it be ok came in a box ect b was letter at the end going too fit tmorrow if weather is all good!

hi tuffty I managed too get a tensioner today for 75 pounds brand new but not genuine came with 12 months warranty Chinese I think will it be ok came in a box ect b was letter at the end going too fit tmorrow if weather is all good!

Mixed experiences with these... I bought one a while back and it continuously threw a set point not reached fault code which suggests it wasn't actually changing position when the ECU requested it... I refitted my old one in the end which 'fixed' that issue...

I stripped the chinese VVT to find the piston part of the tensioner was scored... whether this was as supplied or occurred during use I can't tell but it was a poor replacement and not something I would do again...

Hope you have better luck

<tuffty/>

Sorry to but in on this thread but is there any need to replace the VVT chain & tensioner on a major service if it isn't causing any issues currently?

Sorry to but in on this thread but is there any need to replace the VVT chain & tensioner on a major service if it isn't causing any issues currently?
if the heads off or cams are out might aswell as if you haven't changed it yet you will soon!!

Its not a service item.... No need to change it at all if its working but watch the pads as they go brittle and break...

<tuffty/>

Its not a service item.... No need to change it at all if its working but watch the pads as they go brittle and break...

<tuffty/>
very interesting as the new one I have has dark brown plastic like runners was yours like this?

very interesting as the new one I have has dark brown plastic like runners was yours like this?

Top one is OEM, bottom one is chinese copy..
IMAG0537.jpg

<tuffty/>

<tuffty/>

When you say watch them.....Do you mean if they start causing a racket or will i come across them when carrying out a major service? - I'm doing the cambelt etc but the VVT side of things is on the opposite side isn't it?

When you say watch them.....Do you mean if they start causing a racket or will i come across them when carrying out a major service? - I'm doing the cambelt etc but the VVT side of things is on the opposite side isn't it?

They will break with no warning... its not common but have seen it before... tensioner is under the cam cover and requires inlet cam removal to be able to remove it..

<tuffty/>

They will break with no warning... its not common but have seen it before... tensioner is under the cam cover and requires inlet cam removal to be able to remove it..

<tuffty/>

Ok, so if I only need to worry if I'm needing to replace it....otherwise I don't need to go anywhere near it?

View attachment 9352View attachment 9354View attachment 9353View attachment 9349View attachment 9350View attachment 9351hi im doing my vvt can anyone shed some light my inlet cam seems too be out too the right and exshaust too the left slightly is it because tensioner is faulty and not enougth tension too alighne them or are they out i have no fault codes or eror codes idle was ok and rattle wasnt a permanent but rocker cover has chain marks on powder coated rocker and when i checked original cover it was same!!! missed that lol!!!but whats your opinion lot of engine work been done and i had cam point code when i got car back 3 months ago i erased never came back too this day still hasnt is it out i could do with a tad more on cambelt alighnment too make it 100 percent as this inturn would alighne exshaust cam 100 percent with caps!! but then my inlet cam would be even further too the right?

Mixed experiences with these... I bought one a while back and it continuously threw a set point not reached fault code which suggests it wasn't actually changing position when the ECU requested it... I refitted my old one in the end which 'fixed' that issue...

I stripped the chinese VVT to find the piston part of the tensioner was scored... whether this was as supplied or occurred during use I can't tell but it was a poor replacement and not something I would do again...

Hope you have better luck

<tuffty/>
hi tuffty sorry about the new thread can I delete it? I am still having trouble with the vvt changed it today rocker cover has been getting scraped by chain?? On my old and newpowdercoated rocker fitted last week also has scrapes anyway I fitted new tensioner started car up and rattled like hell for couple of seconds then quiet but rattle still on vvt ????it did get quieter the longer it ticked over but I put finger on rocker cover and can feel vibrations ie chain touching could it be low oil pressure /bad oil pump or has chain stretched but thought this would throw a fault code surely???i didn't get long enough too fully warm the car up didn't really get 4mins too build pressure???

How do you mean scraped by the chain? there are machine marks already in the cam cover that could be mistaken for the chain catching it....

Get some pics of the 'scrapes' up...

<tuffty/>

How do you mean scraped by the chain? there are machine marks already in the cam cover that could be mistaken for the chain catching it....

<tuffty/>
these are not factory markings these are aliminium shavings I did check the mesh on the old vvt had broken a piece is missing???? Ill get some pics up today I'm reading my nuts off hear apparently it could be low oil pressure can the mesh fit down that tiny oil passage for vvt it looked clear but I didn't shine a light or look closely my bad?

<tuffty/>
i can no longer can upload pics why is this???

how? and where did it go?
ahhhh the main man the mesh? have no idea?how is it possible for chain too scrape? even under full tension it shouldnt hit rocker correct?should i take vvt out again or go for oil pump first?

Pictures of the cam cover where you think its touching would be useful... as I said there are already machining marks in the cam cover where the tensioner is... there should not be any reason why the chain would rub unless the tensioner isn't fitted correctly or the chain has stretched... never seen a stretched chain before but it could happen I would imagine...

<tuffty/>

yea the mesh... the chain if slack can rattle and slap the head/rocker..
usual suspects being tensioner itelf, low oil pressure, oil pickup pipe + pump.. next port of call to invesigate.. and check actual oil pressure with a gauge

yea the mesh... the chain if slack can rattle and slap the head/rocker..
usual suspects being tensioner itelf, low oil pressure, oil pickup pipe + pump.. next port of call to invesigate.. and check actual oil pressure with a gauge
well I've just started her up no rattles I think it's all good I'm going to take sump off next week and change pump as it last thing on my list I cleaned sump when I had rebuild and pick up pipe! Not even 12 months ago no rattles as yet so all good can you see chain marks in pic??

Pictures of the cam cover where you think its touching would be useful... as I said there are already machining marks in the cam cover where the tensioner is... there should not be any reason why the chain would rub unless the tensioner isn't fitted correctly or the chain has stretched... never seen a stretched chain before but it could happen I would imagine...

<tuffty/>
there are no factory marks on any of my covers where chain goes if you look in pic vvt is on rocker you can see the new shiny jagged marks cut your finger on them!!

Moved this post from the other thread you started....

View attachment 9352View attachment 9354View attachment 9353View attachment 9349View attachment 9350View attachment 9351hi im doing my vvt can anyone shed some light my inlet cam seems too be out too the right and exshaust too the left slightly is it because tensioner is faulty and not enougth tension too alighne them or are they out i have no fault codes or eror codes idle was ok and rattle wasnt a permanent but rocker cover has chain marks on powder coated rocker and when i checked original cover it was same!!! missed that lol!!!but whats your opinion lot of engine work been done and i had cam point code when i got car back 3 months ago i erased never came back too this day still hasnt is it out i could do with a tad more on cambelt alighnment too make it 100 percent as this inturn would alighne exshaust cam 100 percent with caps!! but then my inlet cam would be even further too the right?

<tuffty/>

Yeah... not seen that happen before... I would suggest you replace the chain... the only reasons I can think this is happening is a stretched chain or the lower part of the tensioner is worn or something...

Just to be clear... this is still happening with the replacement tensioner unit?

<tuffty/>

Well I started her before taking apart no rattles was. A cold start aswell no all fixed I think it just had too reach temp ie settle oil pressure/buil only started her up for 4/5mins last night so I'm going for a drive now so hopefully all good!! Ill report back!

Well I started her before taking apart no rattles was. A cold start aswell no all fixed I think it just had too reach temp ie settle oil pressure/buil only started her up for 4/5mins last night so I'm going for a drive now so hopefully all good!! Ill report back!
all sorted!!