Audi build quality issues - New S3

hopeless

Reaction score
I ordered my S3 in November 2011 and received it on June 2012, long wait but it was worth it.
They took my R32 away and I picked up a my Panther Black Sportback.

Initial drive :
Amazing as it felt so solid and quiet when on the move compared to the Golf but it did like a diesel on startup and sounds like a lawnmower at idle with a warm engine.

Running in:
Was achieved in a month, basically no constant revs, no revs over 3500, no lugging in any gear ever, no sitting ticking over,etc.
I always allow cars to warm up before driving hard, pootling along at 2k without too much engine load is good, noting that water temp does not equate to oil temp when warming up.

After running in:
Still sounds like a diesel on startup and tickover with a warm engine sounds like a quieter lawnmower. I’m told this is normal, and it did seem to be the same on the test drives I did.

Engine is superb, smooth, free revving and bags of torque even as low as 2300 revs. Great acceleration in first 4 gears, not really into losing licence exploring others.

Car has been excellent all summer (a boat would have been better at some points due to weather) not a fault to be found and only used 0.5L of oil in first 1500 miles, none since. So my running in practices seem to work.

Now it’s 6000 miles later and the novelty may be wearing off.

Noise and rattles

Still sound like a diesel on startup and tickover with a warm engine sounds like a lawnmower (to be fair is getting a bit quieter as the miles pile on). Have been asked if car was a diesel and tried to explain that no it was petrol but the engine employs direct injection, like a diesel, at that stage my wife’s eyes glazed over.

I hate mechanical noise from cars and the Audi startup/tickover experience sounds coarse and cheap. I know Audi can make quiet cars and would have thought they could have added more sound insulation or noise cancelling trickery to sort this out.

I sold my Golf R32 because the dashboard rattles and low mpg were driving me mental.
Well I’m happy about the S3 mpg but not with the door card rattles and the dashboard rattle on really cold days. I took all the door card’s off on my previous car and DYNAMAT’d all of them to get rid of rattles, I shouldn’t have to do this on a 5 month old Audi.

The exhaust/cat rattles when the car is warming up when you hit 2500 rpm and it rattles like light hail on an tin roof until 3000 rpm, then sound goes away. Will give a slight rattle when coming off accelerator too. When car is warmed up exhaust does not rattle.

There is a very Slight knock from near/passenger side front suspension. I know the longer you drive a car the more susceptible you get to noticing noises from it and the noise that I hear may not be picked up by someone who doesn’t drive the car daily but sod it, I can hear it and that’s what matters to me. It’s a very slight top strut sounding sort of noise. If I go over a drain-lid with a dip (or a raised one) with the passenger side front wheel above 20mph then I can hear it, doesn’t happen with drain-lid on driver side.

Got car up on axles stands the other week using my trolley jack/ice hockey puck arrangement on the rather flimsy looking sill jacking points and had a go at sorting all this. So I Tightened up all clips and nuts holding heatshield and slightly bent heatshield to remove/reduce noise.

All suspension, drop links, arb, steering rack seemed rock solid (car feels rock solid, which is as I expected).

The front plastic belly pan and plastic wheel arch panel on passenger side were loose and could be made to reproduce a knocking noise so I tightened all that up. Had my fingers crossed.

The result:
The exhaust still rattles, slight less than before but the suspensions sounds exactly the same.

I really was expecting better.

I’m going to try to get the dealer to sort out the exhaust/heatshield rattle and check over the suspension but I won’t bother asking them about interior rattles because they’ll just make it worse.
I had my R32 “fixed” by a dealer for the above same issues and they not only made it worse they actually made it unsafe by not replacing subframe bolts correctly so I am very cynical and untrusting of dealerships.
I just want a car without rattles that I enjoy driving, can’t be too much to ask, but if a (for me) very expensive Audi can’t cut it then how *&%$ing much money will I have to spend. Maybe it was built on a friday by recession induced depressed German robots

Need to relax now.

hopeless

Reactions: aar007
Well, I too came from an R32 and i've got to agree with everything you've said.
Startup and idle on the S3 sounds terrible! Wait till you tinker with it (if you're that way enclined) it sounds worse.... When your moving it sounds fine and MPG is much improved when needed.
Regards to rattles etc, I do have a funny noise from the drivers door, but it turns out this is where the rubber window/hairy stuff sticks and releases the glass when I go over big bumps. It probably doesn't help with rock hard suspention. A nice wash normally free's it up for a few months.
Good luck sorting it all out!

yep, that worked a treat. Problem solved, didnt think it would be that easy!

I totally agree with the annoying ticking/diesel sound! Worse when cold, but is still noticeable when warm. I have had my S3 from new for just over 2 years now and almost 50,000 miles later and it still sounds the same.

Luckily I have no rattles or other annoying noises and other than ride being pretty harsh and mirrors not folding automatically on key fob press it has been a great car so will be sad to see it go soon.

Well my 09 reg A3 Sport TDI 140 with 100k on the clock has no rattles, is quiet on a cold start and you can barely notice it is a diesel when driving. If I'd have just spent £30k on a new car and was as dissatisfied as you sound like you are I'd be straight back to the dealer.

It is going back to the dealer but i'll do it when i do the first oil change in 4000 miles, so a month or two.
I'll get them to look at all the issues but as for the startup noise and tickover sound i know this is all normal as i've heard it on several S3's it's just down to the high pressure injectors coupled with direct injection. The startup noise i'm not exactly sure what it is, lasts for about a third of a second and i've heard this on all S3's as well.
But the suspension, although a bit harsh, should not have a knock/rattle on one side and not on the other but i really believe it will be difficult to track down as it just doesnt fit in with the dealer ethos of "we'll fix whats broke". they dont do diagnosis of these issues very well.
i'll see what the response from the dealer is.
I DO like the car and find it very satisfying and, when the opportunity arises, fun to drive, and it looks amazing but i think i'm jinxed as the last two new cars i've had have had knocks and rattles on the suspension. Before you ask i actively avoid potholes when i drive and have never kerbed an alloy or even bumped up a kerb and i dont rag it. My daily commute is crappy surface B road, smooth A road and motorway. I've babied the S3 so far because i really want to keep it for 3 or more years and it ticks all the boxes for me.

Passenger door card handle and tailgate plastics squeak on mine.:(
I also get an intermmitent `number plate light DIS warning.

Mechanically everything is Ok though, car is MY12 with 7K miles.

Had my fair share of gremlins on my last S3 too, and MK5 Golf Gti for that matter. I`m not convinced VAGs are as bombproof as we are lead to believe.

Would still have another one though.

for all my whingeing i would still have another one.
I should have expected some teething problems with a new car as like every complicated mechanical assembly they follow the bath tub failure pattern, its just i have a distrust of dealerships to do warranty work correctly and safely.
My old R32 developed a heat shield rattle and they fixed it under warranty but they had to drop the subframe and not only did they not tell me this they also didnt replace the stretch bolts with new ones and two weeks later the suspension sounded like someone was hitting it with a hammer when pulling away and cornering. I had to crawl under the car and find that four of the subframe bolts were only hand tight. muppets. This was a VW dealership and i doubt Audi working practices are that much different.
I'll see when i take it to the audi dealership in a month or two and post back here of my experience.
Fingers crossed that i wont have to write another essay type rant.

Well I’ve just got the car back from the dealers after the first service and a whole list of issues for them to sort out and I must say I can’t praise Bath Audi enough.
Service was polite, attentive and addressed each of my problems without feeling rushed.

Service cost £211 which is comparable to VW.

Engine ticks over quieter now but it’s never going to sound whisper quiet, these engines never will..

Doesn’t use any oil now, did for first 3000 miles.

Exhaust rattle at 2500 rpm light load. This was investigated and couldn’t be reproduced. I must admit that this noise seems to have gone away in the cold weather.

Knocking noise from suspension. Dealer fixed this by replacing top strut under warranty, no questions asked. Problem solved.

I even found out that the technician that worked on my car actually bought the R32 that I traded in for the s3 .He said the r32 was in such good condition that he snapped it up on the day I brought it in, I didn’t ask how much he paid compared to the trade in value I got that would probably depress me.

Interior rattles. Didn’t get the dealer to look into these but bought a set of black felt pads and basically placed them at various points on the door card and isolated rattles that way.” Virtually” rattle free now.

All in all I’m much happier with the car now but just need to sort out the two large stone chips in the bonnet that I obtained courtesy of effing gritting lorry on M4 last week.

I’m still cynical and untrusting of dealerships in general but Bath Audi have done a really good job and I intend to use them in the future.

My S3 has begun developing a few rattles and nocks now. And I know EXACTLY where the blame lies. I can't blame Audi for the literally horrendous condition of my local roads.

There is pot hole after pot hole. Followed by roadworks patches, cracks in the road, general uneven surfaces, areas where the whole top layer of tarmac has come lose.

Im positive without the relentless rally driving then the car would be perfectly quiet and no rattles on smooth tarmac

My S3 has begun developing a few rattles and nocks now. And I know EXACTLY where the blame lies. I can't blame Audi for the literally horrendous condition of my local roads.

There is pot hole after pot hole. Followed by roadworks patches, cracks in the road, general uneven surfaces, areas where the whole top layer of tarmac has come lose.

Im positive without the relentless rally driving then the car would be perfectly quiet and no rattles on smooth tarmac

I have to agree with you, the roads are terrible around here and the S3 doesn't ride bumps and uneven surfaces well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly sure that the roads I travel on don't help with rattles either. Its a bit like an assault course in places. I keep seeing on forums people saying that their car is rattle free, but so is mine when on a perfectly smooth road. On the plus side I notice that any door card rattles reduce in warmer weather, just got to wait for it to warm up. I used gummi Pflege on the door rubbers and that got rid of loads of creaks.

Yea I posted a video here a while back of my 2.0TFSI because I thought it was chuggy at idle like a Diesel. Nope, normal. Just slap a supersprint exhaust or something on LOL that should mask it.

As far as oil, at 62k mine drinks about 0.5-1.0L every 1000-1200 miles. Been told that's normal too. Thirsty girl.