Haldex controller or exhaust+ remap

69rush69

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm in 2 minds on what to get, by Friday I will have put all my new goodies on
(Forge TIP, 007p, brembo max discs, ferodo ds2500 front ebc yellow stuff rear pads and a boost gauge)

amd quoted £700 for a full exhaust and at the moment they are doing 50% off a remap when you buy one so say 900 for the pair.
this would make the remap a stage 2 (already got air filter on)
the problem is by January I will have the funds for a gt28 so should I wait till then and have the exhaust made to the new manifold and have the remap at the same time or will the exhaust fit from the old manifold to the new.

and finally the haldex controller anyone got one?
what does the car feel like after?
cheers guys.

Last edited:
remap + exhaust, no doubt you'll buy the controller at a later date anyways lol

If I was you I would just save and wait a few extra months and really let loose on the big turbo to optumise everything as much as possible on the big turbo ;)

The haldex controllers haven't really taken off on here, mainly due to their price but also because they're no necessary. Most of, if not all of the big project cars on ASN are without the blue controller.

Would this be the same controller that was fitted to the gtx35'd s3 on vortex from Bulgaria?

If so looked smart ;)

Personally I'd save your cash and do the big turbo build properly. If you already have stage 1 then going to stage 2 won't make as much as difference as going stock to stage 1 and I'm sure you could source a used Milltek over there cheap enough. Parts for the Mk4 chassis are few and far between here!

The haldex controllers haven't really taken off on here, mainly due to their price but also because they're no necessary. Most of, if not all of the big project cars on ASN are without the blue controller.

I've got one. I think Andrew has too, and he has the Carlsberg S3 - "probably the quickest s3 on here".

To be honest though, I couldn't tell you how much difference it made as I literally had the car about a week before I fitted it. I thought I had a duff controller due to binding at low speed very occasionally. A haldex service sorted it. I got it dirt cheap locally, hence went for it and fitted it.

I've pushed the car pretty hard and never feel it about to loose grip but on the other hand, you can feel the back start to go if you push it, in the wet around a tight/slow corner. I'll keep thrashing it though ;)

Would this be the same controller that was fitted to the gtx35'd s3 on vortex from Bulgaria?

If so looked smart ;)

The blue/orange ones are visually the same as stock but there's a few versions:

- Blue, which is said to send power to the rear sooner (preemptive, rather than reactive like OEM). Some say it can send more power to the rear, but I don't see how to be honest. As far as I am aware, the haldex is a "switch" and not a lot more?
- Orange/Race (and also "Stealth silver" to look stock) made by HPA, as above but said to leave it in AWD mode while braking too
- You can also get a "manual controller" with a cable that runs into the cabin to adjust it but this is pure race I'd imagine (may be whats on that bulgaria one)
- There's also another company that does a pimped up version with an LCD screen and a user selectable setup (much like the Gen 2 controllers) but I can't think of the name, had it open in a tab and lost it.

Sam, what are the benefits/disadvantages of leaving the Haldex engaged when braking? Presumably cars like the RS4 that have permanent 4x4 don't have issues from factory? I'm not considering buying any of them, purely for interest reasons only.

If you're to believe the marketing guff from HPA:

The Competition Controller is best suited to FI applications with high torque outputs. The experienced driver will benefit from the additional chassis control afforded by the equal deceleration rates of the front and rear axle. This allows the driver’s input to dictate the vehicle dynamics under braking, corner entry and exit rather than falling victim to the abrupt disengagement of the rear axle. This added stability and control translates directly to faster lap times; making the Competition Controller a must for the competitive driver.

Now, I can't say I've ever felt the rear end engage/disengage mid corner. Just don't let off mid corner ;) Keep her nailed and you'll be fine :ninja:

The blue is better suited to road driving over the orange though.

I would disagree with them not being necessary,
my car used to feel like a front wheel drive leaving roundabouts at speed, I wanted it to feel better planted so fitted the blue controler. It gives me much more confidence when really pushing on.
It was expensive so i was looking to sell it if it wasnt "all that" but... im happy with how it makes the car feel and to be fair was much better in the snow last year with it to before without.

The post I was responding to seems to be deleted??

The one in the deleted post was someone sort of advertising the LCD one which could split from 100%f 0%r to 50% 50% f&r

Was interesting :(

Oddly I didn't get an email about your post (subscribed) but that sounds like the same controller...