Track day in the 3.2 A3 DSG S-Line Quattro :)

I

imported_S_Line

Ok it had to be done as this time last year i took the WR1 round the track.

I took the Audi out to compare.

Heres a pic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Full write up soon ( sorry in a rush )

IMG_7043.sized.jpg

There was also a RS6 - but he couldnt drive !! LOL !!

IMG_7047.sized.jpg

here we go write up,

I had the traction Control Off at all times and used the paddles on the steering wheel all the time.

And at first, ( first 10 laps ) it was a bit boring, keep up and out outbraking classic imprezas, the brakes on these 3.2s are just awsome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No brake fade at all they just keep going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was getting faster and faster and was pushing the car faster into the corners.

The handling was Neatral, No Oversteer and no Understeer, it was fantastic to drive.

Corrections made quick and easily.

Even with traction control off this car needs and could handle another 70 BHP with ease.

Audi need to put 350 BHP in this A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All in all it handled better than i thought, the DSG gearchanges so quick i was able to change up while taking long corners which is a no no in a normal geared car.

I came away realising how good the DSG really is around a track.

Changing gear using hte paddles is so effortless, ig lets you keep cool and plan things for the next corner.

THere was also a Golf V6 going round and a RS6.

The event was at Snetterton - Norfolk - UK.

And no tyre wear, on the standard tyres ! no outwall shredding either.

Great time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sounds like good fun, i reckon i need to be doing one of them. how much was it, and for how long?

Thanks for the pictures and writeup, S-Line!

I'm amazed you had little tire wear... You must be a smooooth driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This was a good example of the DSG box leaving a hand free for other duties.......
The Bird

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

typical, track day 15 minutes from my house and i miss it. ******.

Snetterton is a nice track too, what speed were you managing to get up to on the straights?

Looks like you had some fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought it looked like the anniversary, with the add-on front lip.

So what was it S_line?

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like good fun, i reckon i need to be doing one of them. how much was it, and for how long?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are not going to believe the price !!

£ 20 !!!

We had full breifing, walk round the track with pros.

And becuse there wasnt many people attend we had a open pit lane in the end ( normally 10 Laps )

even though 10 laps for £ 20 is a bargain, they build you up as well it isnt just 10 laps , as you get to follow the pace car for about 10 laps before they let you loose !!

Hats off to Snetterton !! Great evening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif really do know what the A3 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro can do now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i am so pleased with the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THe DSG really did make it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !! at the track !!

[ QUOTE ]
This was a good example of the DSG box leaving a hand free for other duties.......
The Bird

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this may get pulled but a walk in the park ?

IMG_6868.sized.jpg

MAtt mte you got to come along to the next one !!! we got to see what the S3 can do against the 3.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
typical, track day 15 minutes from my house and i miss it. ******.

Snetterton is a nice track too, what speed were you managing to get up to on the straights?

Looks like you had some fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

only had about 125 on the straight but i was able to Out Brake Most cars there !!!

THe ABS cut in only a couple of times and i felt the brake peddle continue to the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it helped me out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the braking on the 3.2 is out of this world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i could not fault the brakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, "the bird" is too funny!

I see an .:R32 in the back... did the two of you duke it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

the R32 was out after me, i did about 12 laps really giving it some and thought it was time to come in as i was pushing very hard and i didnd want to make a fool of myself.

The R32 sounded great, i checked his tyres and he was running the same as my standard ones, he was pushing as well but it was very planted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IMG_6866.sized.jpg

IMG_6894.sized.jpg

IMG_6947.sized.jpg

IMG_7043.sized.jpg

IMG_7048.sized.jpg

Must say hats off to

CHRIS FOR TAKING THE PICS !!

he is a top bloke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the pictures and writeup, S-Line!

I'm amazed you had little tire wear... You must be a smooooth driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im amazed too !! i really wanted to destroy the brakes and tyres , so i could up grade ! but as standard ! they are still intact ! i cant fault them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the Paddle shift is really relaxing and i really did have the Air Con on and had a great time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know know the car i own is the one for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

in the S bends i really did push it, i over shot and thought i had lost it !! but with the ABS kicking in and the Brake PEddle pushing further down it just navigated me through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

on corners i thought that i would not be able to make it due to exessive speed, i found that the brakes just applied more braking !!! its difficult to explain ! but the A3 was always in control /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AUDI i have to take my hat off too you , you have created a great car - That needs more BHP ... Please provide this car with more BHP and i will show you what it can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Autocar always said the 3.2 surprised them on the track - it did me too.
It wasn't that it handled any better than i knew already, it just surprised me what i was able to keep up with and beat.
I just wished my track day was in the dry

Thats a great write up, good to hear what its like on a track ..... great piccies too.

S_Line,

Was it the same track as last year with the WR1? If so I would love to see how the lap times compare if it was. Also would love to hear your thoughts on the differences you have noticed on the track between your Audi and your old WR1.

I'm off to goodwood on saturday for a track day and had planned to take the Audi but it looks like I will be borrowing the wifes car for the day instead. After reading that I am gutted, sounds like I would have had a lot of fun on the track in it.

Oh well at least I wont be destroying my own tyres/brakes...

J.

A car that can do a track day with no brake fade, no tyre wear and has neutral handling? Sounds perfect ... it's just I can't believe it's a 3.2 A3.

I found it to be a car that understeers (most cars are designed to) and although the brakes seem strong I'm amazed they lasted without any fade. How many laps were you doing in a session?

With regards the tyre wear, how many laps did you do in total?

I'm at Snetterton next week so I hope it's as kind on my car.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aircon on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just too much, running with an R32, a couple scoobies and god only knows what else, in full comfort...

Did your left leg fall asleep too? ;-)

Great writeup, thanks!!

PS: which tires wre you running?

If the new A3 is any thing like my old TT then it suspends the AirCon compressor whilst you use full throttle.

S_Line, was it you that had the Alan Partridge Avatar...?? if so, please put it back. It made me laugh every time!

I got to say, normally the car oversteers on the road, but around the track when i was really through it into the corners, it was 4 wheel drift, just so easy to control. i even nearly lost it while comming into the S bend, but the ABS cut in and i felt the brake move down further and it braked even stronger !!!

Im running hte tyres it came with Pirellis

yes it was the same track that i took the WR1 round this time last year.

The gears really need to pushed into place on the WR1, changing down to 2nd really does need a strong arm, - there are 2 - 2nd gear corners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

can get exhausting.
With the DSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif well what can i say effortless with the instant change.

THe WR1 was a monster round the track, it had so much high end power, kicking in at 5000 rpm, it needed the revs up high to make the most of it. A real track day person could have it dancing, and would have been much faster then the A3.

As for handling. The A3 felt smaller / Lighter and more manuvable and safer.

I didnt push the WR1 too much as 2 weeks before hand i had parted with 30 grand and i had only clocked up 400 miles in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ill find a pic of the WR1

snetty2_1_.jpg

and no the Bimmer boys didnt catch me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great pics mate, keep up the good work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

you are not going to believe the price !!

£ 20 !!!

We had full breifing, walk round the track with pros.

And becuse there wasnt many people attend we had a open pit lane in the end ( normally 10 Laps )

even though 10 laps for £ 20 is a bargain, they build you up as well it isnt just 10 laps , as you get to follow the pace car for about 10 laps before they let you loose !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell us how to get that price - I checked a couple of websites £95 absolute minimum.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It was a deal with a local car accessory shop, started at 5:30 in the evening lasted for a couple of hours.
The good thing about it was it was just £20, you only get 10 laps, but thats not bad if you don't wanna ruin your tyres like you would for the whole day.
I missed this one coz I was out on Friday night in Norwich but will deffo go for the next one.
I'm sure S_line will keep you posted, if not I'll drop a note here when I find out more about it.
Cheers

Cheers Matt ( see you tonight mate )

There are more planned, ill find out the dates,

Snetterton did these Direct you can ring them direct or e mail them.

We had only 20 cars at theis one with only 10 cars on the track at the same time.
You get loads of practice laps before the 10 proper ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

still cant believe the cost, only £ 20.00
I took some video footage which ill edit and post up soon

S_Line... where's your car on track dude?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was looking forward to the bit where you left that RS6 for dust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

someone else took some footage, but i was the camera man so i could not take any footage of myself.
They went mad at me taking video in the pit lane, imgae what they would do with a camera strapped to the outside of the audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Went to JAE, probably not everyones scene but heres the Footage i took and editted.

Its 17 megs just click it and windows media player will play it ( after buffering )

http://www.evocity.co.uk/video/jae2005teaser.wmv

looks like my Hosts Server is down, when my avator appares again it may work ( sorry folks )