A3 Quattro KO4 upgrade, its started

Took Ron out for a 6 mile drive (****e day, cut my head, didnt earn a penny, work piled up :( )anyway, with the 75 disconnected, ron pulled well, 10psi boost, didnt kick him hard, but all in all everything seems fine, BUT ive remembered that the rocker cover gasket has a weep to it :( DOH and i have to do my bottom arm bushes

so next up is the above, a fuel filter change and header tank change

Then the next trump card will be........... you will have to wait and see, but i can say its the final piece of the puzzle so to speak, before going back to Rtech for the mapping to be tweaked

its been a strange year of ownership, lots has happened and lots has changed, ive somehow covered 5k since jan but its only been used for 10 weeks, the rest of it has been in bits, fingers crossed the 'in bits' stage is now behind me, from here on its improving everything.

The plan for Ron has changed, over this winter big changes are gonna happen, more on that later :)

Trump card being a milltek that you've been saying will get you the power?

you will have to actually have the miltek on the car tho eh Phil..
Its still 150miles away in overcast gloucestershire ;)

Reactions: slowcoach3 and phil miller
Trump card being a milltek that you've been saying will get you the power?

(now jason, im not gonna single you out) Right lets talk FACTS, everyman and there dog knows a free flowing exhaust helps gain power, due to being less restrictive, Why do people find it so hard to believe an exhaust will help gain 7bhp, *** its not rocket science, (and Niki on FB said himself if id had a forge map housing rather than a weeping one it would have made 310 in may) anyway, thats not the trump card, the trump card is my awesome idea of how my better half will tell me to keep ron and pour money into him :p

Bill, i will be up for a visit as soon as the back log of work is sorted (prob thursday :) )

Calm yourself man I was asking if it was I wasn't trying to be funny. It's the last thing on your list pretty much so thought that could be it. I haven't ever said an exhaust won't net any gains. It won't on say mine on basic spec but the higher you go the more the little things unlock.

Calm yourself man I was asking if it was I wasn't trying to be funny. It's the last thing on your list pretty much so thought that could be it. I haven't ever said an exhaust won't net any gains. It won't on say mine on basic spec but the higher you go the more the little things unlock.

Jason, im really sorry about my above post, i wasnt snapping at you i promise you that, Ron has always been dismissed as an also ran, even when Niki clearly stated it could have been 310 it was still dismissed, ive had people message me on Facebook (that are also on here) telling me ron wont ever break 305 let alone 310, it almost feels like because its not an S3 or a nice colour A3 that its not welcome at the high power table :(

The messages i got following the last mapping session were rather hurtful to say the least, and tbh thats prob why i havent been on here or done much to ron for ages

The thing that i find awesome and SHOULD join everyone with the same passion is on a major budget ive (withthe help of Prawn, Russ hamby, Tufty and bill) have built a car that 'seems' to be able to make strong power, surely thats what everyone wants to see and hear, 12 months ago i was told 280 was easy, 290/295 do able, and anything over 300 is very hard to make, then for some reason, the ugly duckling with 5drs and a horrid colour dash makes 303 with a stock exhaust, it should never have happened ever, but it has:)

Anyway Jason, i cant say how sorry i am if it looked as tho my rant was aimed at you, it really wasnt :)

Reactions: Jason.s
Phil even some of us S3 owners don't even feel worthy on here against other builds especially when it's all fwd beats 4wd and a3s quicker than s3 so you aren't alone in feeling like you're not good enough.

In that list I noted down for Dane that time you mentioned about me including Rom in the great build threads. It deserved it, it's been a good build with its ups and downs like most have but it comes back stronger and better.

You just need to sort the chassis now so it handles the power and speed lol.

Reactions: Sam_, slowcoach3 and phil miller
Well i for one think it has done brilliant mate, keep it up.....:arco:

Thank you Mate :), im suprised some days it still in one bit after all the hassles its given me :)

Phil even some of us S3 owners don't even feel worthy on here against other builds especially when it's all fwd beats 4wd and a3s quicker than s3 so you aren't alone in feeling like you're not good enough.

In that list I noted down for Dane that time you mentioned about me including Rom in the great build threads. It deserved it, it's been a good build with its ups and downs like most have but it comes back stronger and better.

You just need to sort the chassis now so it handles the power and speed lol.

:) the handling side of it is kind of being sorted, altho the biggest problems ron has is in the braking department still 288s lol, im also thinking about the rear set up, 12 yr old rubber bushes not gonna be in good health now, but what is best? powerflex?

What have you done bush wise? ive got a set of standard powerflex front lower arm bushes, tbh the offset rear ones like Prawn runs would be over kill for me (cheap coilovers, chesap tyres)

Bush wise I'm standard other than engine mount. The new wishbones come with solid TT bushes in the rear anyway which I have so that's fine by me. I need to sort out the rear trailing arm bushes soon I think. I'll go for powerflex black series I think. Hardcore or go home lol. Some people prefer superpro over powerflex. We're not really going to notice any difference tbh so go with what's easiest to get and cheapest to buy.

Reactions: phil miller
Bush wise I'm standard other than engine mount. The new wishbones come with solid TT bushes in the rear anyway which I have so that's fine by me. I need to sort out the rear trailing arm bushes soon I think. I'll go for powerflex black series I think. Hardcore or go home lol. Some people prefer superpro over powerflex. We're not really going to notice any difference tbh so go with what's easiest to get and cheapest to buy.

That was my thoughts, powerflex will last and do the job perfect, also euro car parts supply them, so easy to get and noit a massive cost involved

Reactions: Jason.s
Ron ftw ;) Loving budget builds at the moment, feels very in keeping on a recession lol Mines definitely a budget build but not quite as quick as Phills burgundy, 5 door, mustard interior sleeper ;)

Haldex FTW, even the Fwd boys are starting to turn 02M :p

Russ right from the off you knew Ron would be a budget car, never anything more, but driving it today made me see that although budget it does everything so well

Reactions: slowcoach3
Hell yeah! Lol
Budget build was a compliment by the way, love seeing people get great results without spending 300m on all the latest shiny gizmo s :)

Reactions: phil miller and s3dave
i Forget ron is a quattro.

Those rear trailing arm bushes are such an important part of the rear sus, when you polybush those you will be over the moon with how it makes the car feel! Of all the bushes its the best, like an R32 arb x2.

Reactions: phil miller and s3dave
i Forget ron is a quattro.

Those rear trailing arm bushes are such an important part of the rear sus, when you polybush those you will be over the moon with how it makes the car feel! Of all the bushes its the best, like an R32 arb x2.

Thats what i wanted to hear Karl, is it worth getting the ones that adjust camber or just normal bushes? and do you have a link of some sort?

Russ has the R32 R ARB on his and ive been looking but not found one yet :(

yep jasons right, they're the ones, and the rear bar isnt all that expensive, especially when compared to aftermarket ones.
i just got the normal purple powerflex ones, i had all sorts of trouble with toe in and camber etc, aswell as the back end feeling loose under bumpy undulating roads, they fixed it all.

Because they`re made for hard track work/motorsport stuff so not many are going to buy them for normal road use. I did raise it before with my mate who`s a Powerflex supplier and he pretty much said the same. He bushed an E46 330i with black series for a race series and he said the bill was so much cheaper compared to normal purple ones lol.

I like the black ones because it`ll just look standardish underneath if anyone was to look underneath. Plus im going to focus more on the chassis than power.

Ideal, Black it is then, will order in some in a week or 2, means i better buy a press top make it easy fitting them lol

Excellent, you can do mine at the same time then ;)
Nice sig by the way

Excellent, you can do mine at the same time then ;)
Nice sig by the way

ok ihave a plan, lets do yoyurs first and if there a barstool to do then i wont bother :p

yes my new SIG is epic, cant remember where it came from tho...........lol

I'm more than happy being a test dummy, no pain no gain baby!

Ideal, Black it is then, will order in some in a week or 2, means i better buy a press top make it easy fitting them lol
aftermarket poly bushes dont need a press to fit them.
You could have the trailing arms done in about 3 hours provided they come off nicely.

Reactions: phil miller and slowcoach3
And dont snap any of the brake hardlines lol.

Reactions: phil miller, superkarl and s3dave
Ok so there was a group buy on some top mounts in one of the facebook groups, so i took a pop and this is whats arrived

From what i can tell mr Prawn has these on his and he recommended i take a look, i may just may wait till he is down and get him to fit them lol

Shiny, I like shiny, however you'll need more than those to get away from me soon...Sorry just excited :)

Shiny, I like shiny, however you'll need more than those to get away from me soon...Sorry just excited :)

hmm, me fitting said goodies for you im sure i can 'make' sure im on your tail lol

when is it arriving dude? food for thought im planning a trip to B5 (now) monday, im meeting said seller to collect and exhaust for a mate so could collect yours at the same time bro (or you could come on a road trip aswell

I'm just going to make a few calls and see if I can pull some strings :)

I'm just going to make a few calls and see if I can pull some strings :)

Hmm very strange happenings tonight, ive got a set of Brembos with DS3000 pads, picking them up on Monday, should help keep Ron on the tarmac :)

And due to my HATERID of relentless manifolds i have bought a set of spanners that will make it a little easier

and im sure that Russ will want me to try them out on his first off :)

Reactions: slowcoach3 and s3dave
Haha I don't know what I like more, something that helps with relentless or Ron having sexy breaks :) I'm guessing we're going up to bills later then on Monday then? Drive back with some new toys, it'll be like Christmas. Until my wife finds out then I'm screwed. ..

Thats the plan dude, got things to collect :) anyway do what i do, when asked whos that is reply with, Oh that, thats Russ's or in your case it would be, Russ wtf is that in your car, you reply, oh its Phils, he asked me to look after it as he has a test mule to trail fit it on, she will say, ahh Phil, ok fair enough :)

EVERYONES A WINNER

p.s if only you knew how much of the stuff on my car belongs to you its untrue lol

Reactions: superkarl
Haha that's why Rach always gives me a dodgy look lol She thinks I've come over to steal everything off Ron! My plan is to 100% lie. I'm going to say that my turbo is going back to have something fixed and I'm borrowing yours in the short term or some other crap excuse, she won't believe me but won't argue because she won't want to upset our quiet married life...

The next step has been taken and a set of S3 alloys are waiting to be painted and fitted