Interior Mirror Help/Advice Needed!

vt3ccrx

Reaction score
Hey all, my Audi is an 04 with of which has a facelift front end.
I had the windscreen replaced not so long ago but since then, the rear view mirror no longer fits.

It is one of them powered anti-glare ones.
If you look at the backside of the mirror there is a circular attachment hole of which is about the size of a £2 coin whereas the fitting on the new windscreen is also circular but is about twice the size so does not fit.
I rang the windscreen fitters and they assured me that it was the right one and that if I want another one fitted I would have to pay for a new screen!!

Can anyone with knowledge suggest the problem?
Maybe they have seen the front end and put a B7 front screen in which requires a bigger fitting, I do not know.

I am getting no help from them and Audi seem baffled by this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Audi Grille

I would chase the fitters.Did you claim on your insurers?

I didn't as they said it was out of the cover as it was non repairable, and to claim otherwise would have been classed as a full on insurance claim so needless to say, I paid out my own pocket and end up with this headache haha!

You paid before you saw they'd fitted the wrong one?

If you're paying cash you can have whatever you want fitted, not what they think you should have ..get them to refit or fix the mirror, or get a refund and go somewhere else. Threaten them with Trading Standards if necessary, give them a day or two to give you a definitive answer.

Yer, I had to drop the car off at a local garage and use one of their cars whilst I went to work, left cash and I came back to a nice new windscreen and the rear view mirror left on the passenger seat!!
They say it is definitely the right screen but I think the rear view mirror not fitting would be a slight giveaway that is was NOT the right one.

Can someone clarify which cars hold the larger fitting though?

I should maybe ring Audi first and just double, triple check off the part number that the part number for my rear view matches what is required for my exact car.

yea, maybe your mirror is after-market and not OE? had a similar issue on a previous car regarding rear parking sensors! They sprayed & fitted a new rear bumper with OE Holes pre-drilled, but my after-market sensors were smaller, I refused to pay or accept the car and they had to fit a complete OE parking system at their own expense.

Artimus, the mirror is a genuine OE Audi part ... would the part number help to anyone? ... I remember it ends in 4PK but I don't know if that's just the colour

Mine is the one with the power button and auto-dimming though Dave. Mine is the smaller fitting
Maybe it's the mirror with the rain sensor for the auto wipers that's got the big fitting?

Artimus, the mirror is a genuine OE Audi part ... would the part number help to anyone? ... I remember it ends in 4PK but I don't know if that's just the colour
So it's their mistake ...take it up with them and don't take any BS! They've fitted a part that's not fit for purpose through no fault of yours, you can't be expected to pay for their schoolboy errors. Make them Pay for the replacement, but don't leave your car with them again or they may mistreat it in such a way that issues take time to show themselves.

best way to for us
is you take a pic of the mirror fitting and the screen

Well I paid £20 extra for the screen because apparently if the screen has the black area surrounding the mirror, it is a rain sensor ... and mine has that black area.

Maybe I should just give Audi my VIN tomorrow and get them to state which interior mirror/part number should be allocated.

My ETKA is playing up so I can get no joy from there

from the car it looks like the screen for the auto dim mirror you have got
the non auto dim is a small fitting
you say you have the auto dim so it should fit
even if its got rain light sensor it will be the same size
so pics of screen fitting and mirror fitting.

also haveing a screen fitted through insurance aint a full claim its just there and not needed when you renew the insurance
i think thay told you a load of crap to make you spend the cash.
who fitted it for you ?

name & shame lad. :)

i would but after hes posted pictures
as they dont look as tho they should fit but they do
it could be hes doing it wrong

That's the earliest B7 I've ever seen, only ever seen them on a 54 previously. Assuming it is a B7 and not just a retrofit front?

That's the earliest B7 I've ever seen, only ever seen them on a 54 previously. Assuming it is a B7 and not just a retrofit front?

1st of the B7's they came fully loaded

4aa068f2.jpg

Its a B6 with a facelift hence it being in the B6 section QuattroJames ;)
Retrofit FTW!!

Definitely dont fit though bez .... the screen mount is bigger than the rear view mount and shroud and everything, not possible to fit.

Motoglaze in Newcastle fitted the screen for me, I e-mailed them pics and explained the issue ... 2 weeks later, no reply ... so I called up and he didn't want to know!

Its a B6 with a facelift hence it being in the B6 section QuattroJames ;)
Retrofit FTW!!

Definitely dont fit though bez .... the screen mount is bigger than the rear view mount and shroud and everything, not possible to fit.

Motoglaze in Newcastle fitted the screen for me, I e-mailed them pics and explained the issue ... 2 weeks later, no reply ... so I called up and he didn't want to know!

you have the B7 screen and B6 mirror
you should have said it was a B6 in the OP so we knew

Sorry for not making that clear, I thought I had done :(

Is that a pretty much definite Bez? They supplied the screen from the reg so I didn't think that would have been the mistake :/