New turbo, standard or hybrid? 2.0 TDI

Pops848

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was waiting to start a new topic with my new car after giving it a wash - that will now wait until tomorrow.

I picked up a 2006 2.0 TDI S-Line with DSG today. Very nice and refined after having an A3 1.8T 8L with a revo 200bhp map on it. Now the problems began as I was driving the 50 odd miles home... Firstly the engine went into limp mode, so pulled over, turn off turn on and away I go again. 20 miles or so later and the engine goes into limp mode again. Knowing the issue is likely to be the turbo I park in the services, call the garage I have just left who are happy for me to take the car home, disconnect the battery (hoping to clear any codes) and phone them tomorrow.
Now I get home, disonnect battery, leave for 20-30 minutes and then reconnect it all up and drive to my friends garage where I plug in a fault scanner. No problems so far. Then it brings up a hit, and the following codes came up ;

17506 - Glow Plug Cylinder 2
17507 - Glow Plug Cylinder 3
19559 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap
16618 - Boost Pressure Exceeded

All I could think at this point was SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSh!te.
Cleared all codes and the only one to return without driving is the Motor for intake manifold flap. Drove the car home consisting of using all gearbox options, town and small blast on motorway with no problem. Now I'm pretty sure the turbo will need to replaced pretty soon, and will be thinking it's better to do it sooner rather than later. SO, shall I lean on the garage and say I want a new turbo or take the car back.... in the meantime speak to the garage who do the work and get them to order a hybrid and I pay the difference, OR should I get a new standard turbo fitted genuine Audi OEM??
I am planning a remap in time to come but only a "Stage 1" as I don't want to go mental.

Finally, I am assuming that the garage will want to either
A - Leave it until it goes pop hoping it is more than 3 months
B - Try to get the turbo "cleaned" and put back in

So, advice please from those who have either had similar problems or upgraded just for the fun of it, where shall I go from here?

Before anyone says "give the car back if it's broken" I have no issue getting the car fixed, as I will only go for a new turbo option and then I know it's had a brand new turbo fitted that only I have driven :yes:

How sure are you the turbo is going to fail? i recently looked an A3 i was going to buy until i scanned it and it came up with pretty muh exacly what youve described, except i got 1 handy thing and that was an ECU freeze frame of the car putting out 354nm of torque and from a 140bhp thats mighty impressive after 100,000 mile or is it? so i out it down to the car having a crappy map on it. Although it drove well. If the cars going into limp mode due to overboost i expect its a sticky vein on the turbo which is pretty common on the A3s which would cause over boost. Im no expert, far from it this is just my opion. How many miles has it got? FASH? Sounds like a crappy map to me or a sticky vein.

How sure are you the turbo is going to fail? i recently looked an A3 i was going to buy until i scanned it and it came up with pretty muh exacly what youve described, except i got 1 handy thing and that was an ECU freeze frame of the car putting out 354nm of torque and from a 140bhp thats mighty impressive after 100,000 mile or is it? so i out it down to the car having a crappy map on it. Although it drove well. If the cars going into limp mode due to overboost i expect its a sticky vein on the turbo which is pretty common on the A3s which would cause over boost. Im no expert, far from it this is just my opion. How many miles has it got? FASH? Sounds like a crappy map to me or a sticky vein.

The car is standard no map. I'd say its a sticky vein - but if you have a sticky vein then the options are either ;

A - Replace Turbo
B - Take out and clean veins

Being that the car is less then 12 hours in my ownership I am going to get the dealer to sort the problem. Overboost will kill the turbo, doing a search brings up plenty of worn turbos due to this exact problem. Having said that cleaning the vein is labour intensive, so CAN be cheaper just buying a refitting a new turbo. My point is I am going to push for a new turbo and veins, so wanting advice on if there is point going for a hyrbid if I am planning a stage one remap in time to come, or just go for standard?

Car has a shade over 100K on the clock and decent service history with the most recent done this week with cambelt and water pump done at the same time.

Well thats entirely up to you if your planning on remaping it then ofcourse a hybrid turbo will be better but might cost you more in the long run. Assuming the car is still on its orginial clutch then adding that much more torque from a hybrid turbo is a sure fire way to repalcing the clutch farely soon i would say. If the garage will foot the bill then i would go with a standard turbo all day long.

Well ideally you'd want to check all 4 faults not just 1.

Glowplugs should be checked with vcds to make sure they are registering ok, imf make sure its not the plastic teeth version that has lost all its teeth & isnt working properly & then the overboost which is probably the vanes being dirty of eg's & sticking.

If its done this once then chances are it will do again & can become costly, so yes I'd go back to them & state that its a known issue with these cars that turbo's blow & give overboost limp mode errors when they get clogged up, say you're happy with the car but wont accept the turbo with this potential problem that could cost you 2k or so to fix should it blow anytime from now on.