Hot - Its Damn Hot !!!

Geronim0

Reaction score
Hi Guys N Gals, A bit more info needed from you clever people out there. I dropped into my local Formula One tyre centre today to have a couple of Bridgestone fitted for £170.... not too bad i thought. Anyway I took their offer to track the wheels and the car, 1.8T Sport, was on the ramp for about 20-30mins, at this point they could not do anything as the nuts were siezed. When I got into the car the temp gauge had gone up to 120!!!! At this point my heart sank as I thought she had died........anyway driving in traffic and having the blower on "hi" seemded to cool her down a tad but now im worried something major has happened - anyone got any ideas? Thanks Simon

Mine were seized when I got tracking done recently. The guy took a blowtorch to them and did the job ok, but it did take him a while.

Or classic symptoms of a failed 1.8T sport water pump.

when my 1.6 was overheating, it turned out to be the fuses under the bonnet by the battery at fault - the fuses looked fine but i swapped all of them (only matter of a quid or two) and this fixed the problem.

car now runs without getting too hot & my air-con works again.

however, it didn't affect the idling problem i've got but thats a different matter.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks Guys, I had a test and the fans come on with the aircon but in normal conditions the fans appear to stay off. Any ideas - would the water pump cause this problem?

Im such a novice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like radiator cooling fans aren't switching on.

Does it come on when you turn the air con on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes mate they do.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would start cheap first. I'm thinking the thermostat that detects the water temp to switch on the fans may be at fault.

The fans obviously work as you say.

If you take a look at the area under the battery next to the rad you'll see a thermistor and relay pack (control box) this determines whether to runs the fans depending on ac state and coolant temp etc. You can remove the connector to the thermistor to check if the fans come on or not as if it were hot. Also may be a prob with the control box.

It may be the pump or thermostat, but as you've had this done recently, you'd hope it wasn't.

Aparently its a switch that needs to be replaced - £50 fitted!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which switch? So that we know if other peeps have the same prob.

Ta.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which switch? So that we know if other peeps have the same prob.

Ta.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries - it was the radiator temperature sensor, will have this sorted next week and let you know if it sorts my problem out.

Cheers Simon

Thanks very much, feel much happier now. I just have to get the trailing arm bushes sorted as he has suggested these are replaced................. what the hell are these anyway and are they expensive?

Cheers Simon

----------------------------------
1.8T Sport Being rebuilt!!!

Where the rear suspension legs bolt to the chassis there is a pivot, and its a major pivot.

The rubber bushes are for this. Its quite an involved job, but the car will feel much better afterwards if they are in bad condition.

It was just the other guy on the forum had said that he had liquid leaking and they had suggested that the bush has burst. Its not that important, I was just curious LOL (1998)

[ QUOTE ]
Where the rear suspension legs bolt to the chassis there is a pivot, and its a major pivot.

The rubber bushes are for this. Its quite an involved job, but the car will feel much better afterwards if they are in bad condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would £70 a side fitted be a good price ?? Im not too hot on prices.