Ordered a new A3 sportback so, Hi!

rich1

Reaction score
Hi,
I am picking up my new A3 on the 1st of September so thought it would be a good idea to join and see what the crack is with this forum..

It's a brand new A3 2.0Tdi 140 Black Edition Sportback in Ibis white with the proper black edition wheels.

Few questions,
What is the realistic sort of MPG i will see from mixed driving?
I am going to buy a MK2 RNS-E but am unsure where to buy one from?
Where can i buy VAG-COM from so that it will work with my car??

Also, i stupidly didnt check this out but, is bluetooth interface actually bluetooth or does it mean its just prepped for it?
Thanks
(i realise these questions have been asked a million times but to save me looking, i thought i would just ask! :blush:

Hi Rich, welcome to Audi-Sport.Net. Have a look over the A3 section. There are faqs tnreads at top of the page with lots of information in there. Nigel, user NHN is the man you need for VCDS cable, just drop him a pm and he will sort you out with that. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Few questions,
What is the realistic sort of MPG i will see from mixed driving?
I am going to buy a MK2 RNS-E but am unsure where to buy one from?
Where can i buy VAG-COM from so that it will work with my car??

Also, i stupidly didnt check this out but, is bluetooth interface actually bluetooth or does it mean its just prepped for it?
Thanks
(i realise these questions have been asked a million times but to save me looking, i thought i would just ask! :blush:

Welcome to the forum.

TBH its a CR engine so should be fairly good, I cracked a wheel somehow yesterday & had it on a 50mph max wheel, was showing as 80-90mpg lol on motorway, but its all own to driving style mate, do you like a bit of turbo boost :)

I supply/fit the rns mk2 units everyday for members, give me a shout mate if you would like to discuss the systems available.

I also sell the genuine vcds/aka vagcom.

If you have phone prep or BT spec'd then you have BT for phone usage which when coupled with dis, rns-e & mfsw is great imho for its era :)

Hope to hear from you soon :)

Rich you have the same car as me which I have had a month

Bluetooth is standard and you can scroll through your phone book on the instrument cluster with the buttons on the steering wheel.

I have done 1300 miles so far and averaged 48mpg which is a mixture of round town and motorway. I had a cruise to Glasgow last week doing around 75 to 80 and it did 54 mpg, so quite economical.

I recommend fitting the RNSe as Nige has said, it's a lovely bit of kit when coded in and you can do away with an iPod which plugs into the phono plug near the cig lighter.

Out else you wanna know ?

Ok great, did you get the rnse after or did you spec it with it??

I had it fitted after as it was £1200 to spec new and I got an as new unit for a 1/3 of this price. Quite easy to fit and I just had to get it coded with vcds and by the look of it you are looking at buying this.

There are some known issues with doing this though, like Audiopilot and poor radio reception which does not seem to affect factory fitted units. Have a search on here.

If I lived down south I would have got Nige to do it. He comes highly recommended !

Now thinking parking sensors would have been a good choice.

Anybody know how much notice i would need to give them to fit it or will it be fine for them to do it once it arrives at the dealership?

They will fit cheap aftermarket tat if you get done at the dealership, which runs of the reverse wire, it wont be the car network integrated version that allows the tone & volume to be controlled via the dis.

Ahh. saw your little rns-e mod hence why i want them..

Salesman is not in today so will call him tomorrow and see if its too late.

I can fit that system aftermarket aswell if its too late :)

The sensors and connect it up to the car so it all works??

I knew coming on here would hurt my wallet..

Also, is it a standard thing to get a big box of assorted wines from Audi UK??

It needs the rns mk2 along with other things, but yes I can supply/fit all of it.

PM me a price for that too please.

What about the wine thing??

Who knows, probably some marketing rubbish.

If your trying to justify it to yourself, the tech pack (sat nav, ami etc) is nearly £1300 quid to spec from the factory and the parking sensors which are part of the comfort pack ( auto lights, wipers, mirrors etc) are 500 quid. I would get the comfort pack and get Nige to retrofit the RNSe as it is debatable if you actually need AMI when you an use 2x32gb SD cards for your tunes. I know it doesn't display the album covers and you can't flick through albums with the steering wheel controls but hey it's a car not a PC juke box !

Just my 2p

If your trying to justify it to yourself, the tech pack (sat nav, ami etc) is nearly £1300 quid to spec from the factory and the parking sensors which are part of the comfort pack ( auto lights, wipers, mirrors etc) are 500 quid. I would get the comfort pack and get Nige to retrofit the RNSe as it is debatable if you actually need AMI when you an use 2x32gb SD cards for your tunes. I know it doesn't display the album covers and you can't flick through albums with the steering wheel controls but hey it's a car not a PC juke box !

Just my 2p

Comfort pack is rear sensors only, i'm sure it said that you need front and rear sensors to get the parking system on the screen..

Your probably right. I tried to code my sat nav unit with the hope due to me having rear sensors it would work. However it didn't but no Biggy for me, I would rather use my mirrors

Yeh, they are not a necessity but would be nice.

Will probably just end up with a standard MK2 rns-e. looked at a few videos of the sds version but it seems like a lot of work...

I too looked at the SDS version but I had to question how often I would use it via the voice commands. At the end of the day it's not too much aggro to press a few buttons. You will not be disappointed with a mk2 RNSe, it is a good bit of kit. I personally spend a lot of time on the phone in the car and listen to music, so the phone integration with the standard BE kit and FBMFSW and BT is the best bit about it for me, as well as the media card music. Just stops my dashboard looking like I crashed into dixons as I don't have to charge iPods, iPhones and Tom Toms all at the same time with wires everywhere.

If you have deep pockets get it factory fitted, if not nearly everything is retrofittable. Nige is the man with the skills and the knowledge.

Yeh, will be getting him to fit one for me. seems like such a long time away now (1st september) Although i am very happy with my A4 all road which they gave me as a loan car until my car is ready. lol.

Bluetooth and sound system is great in that.