More S3 headlight problems... Advice please...

AJD S3

Reaction score
So I took my headlights out at the weekend to try and sort a few things out, and my eyes were opened to the below issues:

- both headlight adjuster cogs are broken on both headlight housings, the plastic has become brittle and spins on the spindle, and one has snapped off completely.
- both locating clips for the auto levelling motor in both headlights have snapped.

I've spoken both to TPS and my local Audi Stealership today, and both are saying to fix this, I'll have to purchase a whole new headlamp for both sides, which cost £418.00 ex vat each - understandably, I'm not up for paying this amount. My current bulbs are fine, my electrics are fine, the motors themselves are fine, the ballasts are all fine too. I simply can't justify paying this much money for things I don't need.

Both TPS and the Stealership are saying that I should try breakers yards, and online parts breakers, but I'm not really up for this considering the parts I'd most likely get, if I can even find them, will be just as old and knackered as mine.

So really I'm looking for some advice - should I fork out to get a new headlamp either side, or is there any other way around this?

For reference, my car is a 2001 facelift S3 8L.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi ya dude ive the same problem, just been fixing them at the weekend . i was luckly and the cogs where there just epoxy them on and the clips ive just sorted as a temp thing til sideways steve has sorted the parts have a look through this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...fix-your-headlight-self-levelling-system.html . i brought the clips from renault for now as temp and the cogs if there gone for you half way through this thread there a link to a company who can help with this.

Hope this helps dude

Nick

There is a group buy for teh motor clips in teh stickies which should help out a bit else something I have thought of trying but not got around to it yet was to buy a couple of new replacement A3 ones from eBay and see if I could make a hybrid of new decent lens and fixings but use the xenon internals..

AUDI A3 HEADLAMP HEADLIGHT X2 2001-2003 NEW PAIR | eBay

You have already done the first iffy stage of removing the lens so you are practiced in that bit :)

<tuffty/>

Hi ya dude ive the same problem, just been fixing them at the weekend . i was luckly and the cogs where there just epoxy them on and the clips ive just sorted as a temp thing til sideways steve has sorted the parts have a look through this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...fix-your-headlight-self-levelling-system.html . i brought the clips from renault for now as temp and the cogs if there gone for you half way through this thread there a link to a company who can help with this.

Hope this helps dude

Nick

Hey Nick!

Thanks for this, I'd looked at that thread once before out of interest, and now it appears it really will be of relevant use to me! I'll definitely be investing in some renault clips immediately!

What about the cogs for the manual adjustment though? A couple may be repairable, but one looks like someone has tried to melt it in the past to repair it once already. Maybe source these off the back of an A3 headlight if they're the same? There's a scrap yard near me with a few A3s in it. Failing that, not sure what else I could do?

There is a group buy for teh motor clips in teh stickies which should help out a bit else something I have thought of trying but not got around to it yet was to buy a couple of new replacement A3 ones from eBay and see if I could make a hybrid of new decent lens and fixings but use the xenon internals..

You have already done the first iffy stage of removing the lens so you are practiced in that bit :)

<tuffty/>

Hey <tuffty/> thanks for this.

As discussed with Nick, I'm going to go for some of the Renault clips to fix the auto levelling, but the cogs are my next issue. Not sure how to approach these a the moment - see above.

Hey Nick!

Thanks for this, I'd looked at that thread once before out of interest, and now it appears it really will be of relevant use to me! I'll definitely be investing in some renault clips immediately!

What about the cogs for the manual adjustment though? A couple may be repairable, but one looks like someone has tried to melt it in the past to repair it once already. Maybe source these off the back of an A3 headlight if they're the same? There's a scrap yard near me with a few A3s in it. Failing that, not sure what else I could do?

Alright dude if you can source some bits from the scrap yard then all good, although the clips id get the renault ones as a tempory measure and also put your name down for some off steve they shouldnt be to long . the cogs if you cant some from the scrappy then try these guys sideways steve posted in the same thread
HPC Gears Home page

if you send them a broken one and tell them the diameter ( if the centre has worn away like mine had) of the piece they attach to im sure they can help.

Also there a request form here http://hpcgears.com/newpdf/bevel_technical_request.pdf if your handy with working out the pitch etc etc ....

I have had an 8l S3 for some years and not come across that problem,If you are looking for a headlight replacement,ebay has them for a very reasonable some,not sure of the quallity but they say OE spec,good luck.

<tuffty/>

Am i right to presume the beam pattern will be sh@gged if I put these in replace of my current (old and knackered) 2002 xenon headlights? Im looking to replace only one side (being the drivers side) however I can't seem to find one.

Surely I can buy one (Like in the link) + swap everything over? Or will that not work?