Fuel Leak!!

ollie86rn

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just looking around the car earlier and found what appears to be a fuel leak, seems to be coming from the item bottom left with all the pipelines coming of it. Is this the fuel filter? Looks like it may not of been tightened down properly as the fuel is all over the casing dripping down into the wheel well. Anyone had experience of this and am i heading in the right direction before i get the tools out?

Thanks in advance

photo1.jpg

Only just got mine, and not had it apart. But id say yes, thats the fuel filter. No other logical thing for it to be really.

Is it leaking from a pipe, or the top of the unit?
Wont hurt to check the bolts are done up, pipes are on properly. Will also be some sort of seal on the lid, which may be perished or not fitted properly.

Looks like from the top of the unit, the pipelines are bone dry so I'm guessing as you say it may be the seal. The top screws tightened only very slightly so will have to keep an eye on it, i presume its not pressurised when the engine is off so should be safe to remove?

Has the filter just been replaced?

Possible Symptoms;

* Rubber seal incorrectly seated/missing
* Securing bolts not tight

:)

January i had a full service carried out but only just noticed the fuel leak so I'm thinking the seal may not of been replaced

Theres normally a safe way to de pressurise a system, like removing fuel pump fuse and letting engine die etc on petrols.

I never bother, but i work on cars all day. It wont be high pressure till after the main pump anyway. Tank pump is only for supplying to the diesel pump.
Never mess with the common rail systems though. They can reach ridiculous pressures. Toyotas generally run 30k psi plus.

Reactions: ollie86rn