this doesnt look too good! anyone had this? Pics inside

Schlaag

Bwah
Reaction score
Just giving the car a once over underneath whilst servicing and found this hole in the weld on the boost cross pipe that links the two intercoolers!

a pipe seems to T off the boost pipe somewhere? and on the weld can you see the hole!?

that has to be losing me some power/boost pressure!

anyone know where that extra pipe goes to?

and its £120 from audi but on back order!

57636a0c.jpg

167bb8ba.jpg

688145c9.jpg

Thats the pipe joining the two SMIC's... the bit in the pictures is a 'bracket' essentially that is welded on... it does corrode especially if the under tray is missing but as long as the pipe itself isn't perforated then all should be good...

That said, looking at the state of yours its possible you could have small pinholes that will create a boost leak... worth a smoke test maybe if you think you have an issue..

The whole thing looks like this..
20100906_IMAG0098.jpg

<tuffty/>

Ouch - I thought of taking mine off but looking at tufftys pic, it's also a brace... Good excuse to get a fmic setup on there

aha thanks Tuffy.. all good/ I didnt know it was a bracket... I thought it was a pipe coming off...

i wont order another then.

phew

cheers all

Ouch - I thought of taking mine off but looking at tufftys pic, it's also a brace... Good excuse to get a fmic setup on there

Its not a prace mate... its not strong enough to brace anything and the LCR comes with an alloy version that doesn't actually bolt to the chassis... removing it does nothing more than give you room and remove wieght... and tats a good thing :)

Only reason for keeping it once you have fitted a FMIC is if you can't be bothered to make a braket to support the power steering pipes as they are bolted to it... I removed mine and made a bracket...

aha thanks Tuffy.. all good/ I didnt know it was a bracket... I thought it was a pipe coming off...

i wont order another then.

phew

cheers all

If getting a FMIC then don't worry too much but I would still be checking to see if there is a leak from it especially if you are having issues with potential boost leaks..

<tuffty/>

while you guys are here... quick q regarding the std TIP

is it only held on to the turbo inlet by one jubilee clip (plus all those b*stard std metal audi clips.... havent got one off yet!)

reason i ask is because I have removed the jubilee clip holding the tip to the turbo but it wont come off!

Cor blimey. Looks a bit rusty down there. Must say the aussie cars seem to suffer much less, what with the lack of salt I guess!

while you guys are here... quick q regarding the std TIP

is it only held on to the turbo inlet by one jubilee clip (plus all those b*stard std metal audi clips.... havent got one off yet!)

reason i ask is because I have removed the jubilee clip holding the tip to the turbo but it wont come off!

There is a rib in the std TIP that locates it to a groove on the turbo inlet... being made from rubber they also have a habit of welding themselves to the turbo too..

<tuffty/>

On the TT at least its a brace - as it was fitted to all TT's even the 180bhp single intercooler version

it definatly adds strength/stiffness to the front of the car imo. the thickness of the metal used and fact its mounted with 3x m8 bolts at either end suggests it serves more purpose than just a pipe from one intercooler to the other.
not forgetting the front panel is completely fiberous plastic offering next to no stiffness..... the only other thing bracing the front of the chassis legs together is the crash bar behind the bumper!

if you did remove it....... i doubt whether youd notice any real difference from the drivers seat.

The whole lot weighs nowt and they aren't fitted to any other VAG other than a 225 TT and the S3... the strut brace weighs more and is made of thicker tubing...

The brackets are tacked on rather than welded all the way around like it should be if it was to stand up to chassis flex... its no more structural than the crash bar..

<tuffty/>

On the TT at least its a brace - as it was fitted to all TT's even the 180bhp single intercooler version

This pipe is not fitted to 180's... they have the same setup as the A3's... and its not a brace...

<tuffty/>

I took this off and welded the small hole today myself. I would agree with Tuffty and say this is definitely not a brace.

Can't believe its 120 quid!! I am gonna clean mine up, repaint it and bung it on eBay lol...

<tuffty/>

This pipe is not fitted to 180's... they have the same setup as the A3's... and its not a brace...

<tuffty/>

Well its fitted to the 180 TT (2000, AUQ) here !
Just double checked on ETKA and its shown as an applicable part for that vehicle, so go figure.
I think Audio intended it as a brace, its way over-engineered otherwise, and its steel not plastic. If Audi could have made it from plastic they would have done in terms of cost alone ! Whether is works, or you would notice any difference if you removed it, i doubt it. Just putting it out there.

it is on all tts's. as even the 180bhp versions still have twin intercoolers.
its not on golfs/a3s cus maybe they are saloon cars not sports cars so they deemed it unnessasary?

not that you could call a tt a sports car while keeping a straight face!

it is on all tts's. as even the 180bhp versions still have twin intercoolers.
its not on golfs/a3s cus maybe they are saloon cars not sports cars so they deemed it unnessasary?

not that you could call a tt a sports car while keeping a straight face!

Our AUQ has only one side mount like the Golf...... :)