Leaking into Footwell

EoD

Reaction score
Folks - Help.

Upon reading this, everyone will immediately think "not another eejit with a leak" but theres a difference here! I actually KNOW where the leak is coming from, i just need to know how to plug it up, and if its usual to have this anomoly where it is.

The leak is coming into the footwell just to the right of the pollen filter as you look at it from the front of the car.
The car was in a smack a while back and was repaired, but the footwell is getting wet again. Upon having a look in beside the pollen filter i notice that there is a round hole about the size of a penny. At first glance it looks like it might be a hole for cables to pop through, or possibly for a drainage tube? Either way, the hole is open and leads directly into my passenger footwell. Water wells slightly around the hole, but shouldnt be a problem.

Could someone say whether its safe to plu this hole with some form of seal? Or should there be a drainage tube connected to the under side of it?

Thanks

Ed

[ QUOTE ]
Folks - Help.

Upon reading this, everyone will immediately think "not another eejit with a leak" but theres a difference here! I actually KNOW where the leak is coming from, i just need to know how to plug it up, and if its usual to have this anomoly where it is.

The leak is coming into the footwell just to the right of the pollen filter as you look at it from the front of the car.
The car was in a smack a while back and was repaired, but the footwell is getting wet again. Upon having a look in beside the pollen filter i notice that there is a round hole about the size of a penny. At first glance it looks like it might be a hole for cables to pop through, or possibly for a drainage tube? Either way, the hole is open and leads directly into my passenger footwell. Water wells slightly around the hole, but shouldnt be a problem.

Could someone say whether its safe to plu this hole with some form of seal? Or should there be a drainage tube connected to the under side of it?

Thanks

Ed

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar problem! I ran the cables for sub .etc through this hole and water was getting in. So i squirted a whole load of silicone sealent around it all and solved the problem.

Rich

Cheers mate, good to know its not just me...So is this hole supposed to have a grommet or the likes plugging it?

Do you have to lift the pollen filter flap to see it from above? If so - Yes it should have a rubber grommet in there. I've just fed my LC400? through it.

If you are talking about the streched oval hole visable in the gap down the side, see below pic, marked with yellow arrows...
drain_pollen_filter.jpg

then this should be there (along with another one on the drivers side) both are drain holes and they feed down through the wheel arch, if they are blocked then water can come into the footwell on both drivers and passengers side.

It happened to me on the driver side due to a load of leaves blocking the same drain hole.

But as said above if it is the circlular hole (see pic, marked with red arrows) then this should have a rubber bung/grommit in it, as in the pic.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, if there are no cables running through it, then just get a gromet like is there originally and problem will be solved!

excellent posting chaps thanks for that - just got on the phone to audi to have them order it in for me, as no local scrappies seem to have any A3s!

Cheers for the help chaps, impressive!

Ed

Jaysus, would you believe Audi dont make that wee grommet anymore? a weeks waiting time presumably for them to locate one for me! I think itll have to be some duct tape in the meantime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jaysus, would you believe Audi dont make that wee grommet anymore? a weeks waiting time presumably for them to locate one for me! I think itll have to be some duct tape in the meantime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Measure the hole, and go to a hardware/auto store... someone will have one that will fit!

Rich