Front strut tops... Is this right?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Right, the s3 has developed a front ending knocking on the passenger side.

The thing thats p***ing me off the most is that the car has completely new suspension all round, so their's nothing that should be knocking.

The only thing i can think of, is when my mates fitted my coilovers is, they didn't tighten the drivers side strut top properly so caused a loud hollow banging/clunking. Now the passenger side is doing the same but not all the time, you can be going over pot holes and nothing, but then if you mount a low kerb it bangs like ****.

Anyway, ive checked the front strut top and the 21mm nut that holds it to the dampener is as tight as it'll go without rounding the 1mm nut on the damper top, but the strut top still moves, not freely but if you put a drop spanner on the 21mm it'll move, is this right?

Hope this make sense but its really doing my head in.

The front anti roll bars crack and knock badly on these. U can't really see this though as the subframe is in the way. Couple of hours doing it on a ramp but longer doing it on your back

Bar looked fine when the powerflex arb bushes were fitted.

By cracking do you mean the collar that sits next to the arb bush?

the collar sits under the bush.. you may not see the crack..

Mine does this. Ive changed the arb bushes. Are they some on the inside?

I always thought it was the arb catching the driveshaft with it being lowered ?

Thing is though its only started in last week!

So what about the movement on the strut caps eh, this normal?

Well thats what i thought, only thing is, when the drivers side knocked, i tightened that up and it stopped it, tried doing the passenger side but its as tight as it goes and still knocks.

Is yours knocking karl?

i dont follow dave, theres only one way theyll go on isnt there?

yeh only one way as far as i know. plus they only tighten so far. and the top mounts themselves sit on top dont they

my knocking is v v slight, almost a rumbling its amplitude is that low.

my first thought was top mounts, but im unsure. il get back to you.
keep us updated with what you find.

Right, thought so.

Im going to take the passenger side apart and make sure the top mount is tightened and not loose, because no matter how tight the strut top is tll not make a difference, after that wheel will be off and all nuts and bolts will be checked.

Have a look at your drop links, my passenger side was making a clunking noise. When i looked the gaiters were split and grit had gotten in, replaced both sides and its all good now

Their brand new as well so shouldnt have but will check them.

***Update**

Got in from work tonight and decided to have a crack on the top mounts with a 18v impact gun. All went well, jacked car up, raised the wishbone up and removed strut top, tightened the lower 21mm nut onto the top mount, refitted the top hat and tightened the 21mm nut onto that, fitted the wheel back on and went for a drive, guessing F***ing what, still ****** knocking.

Im at my wits end, the noise is soooo loud you can hear it even when driving with both windows down and the radio on :(. The knock doesnt affect the handling when it happens.

Ive got a list of what i think it is:

1: top mount bearing (but would it cause such a noise)
2: passenger side sub frame bushes gone ( again wouldnt it make a noise even when the drivers side hit a pot hole as the things connected to both side)
3: wheel bearing gone
4: damper is knackered.

Any thoughts guys? just to add the car does feel tighter afetr tightening the passenger side up.

I had one recently, the front hub nut wasnt tightened enough... made a knocking noise similar to your description.
worth a shot?

The nut in the centre of the brake disk? Was it loud as well?

No idea without driving it mate tbh... if you have done all the obvious stuff...

<tuffty/>

Fancy coming over for a drive paul? ive got plenty of hob knobs haha.

I know, im going to fit the fmic and manfold next week then i think ill drop it off at a garage.