Would it be cheaper to tune my ARY 1.8t quattro or go ahead with a ko4 conversion?

benclarke

Reaction score
Parts to tune this specific engine are hard to find.
I was looking at getting a custom made downpipe/exhaust made with bill @ badger5.
I would then want an intercooler, silicone TIP and a remap.

All things considered, with the price of the exhaust, would I just be better off going for a ko4 conversion?
Can any let me know what you would need and at what kind of costs they go for?
I may give Bill a call and see what he thinks.

Surely the potential is greater with a ko4, and things like downpipes are alot cheaper and easier to come across.

Let me know your thoughts,

Cheers, Ben

Parts to tune this specific engine are hard to find.
I was looking at getting a custom made downpipe/exhaust made with bill @ badger5.
I would then want an intercooler, silicone TIP and a remap.

All things considered, with the price of the exhaust, would I just be better off going for a ko4 conversion?
Can any let me know what you would need and at what kind of costs they go for?
I may give Bill a call and see what he thinks.

Surely the potential is greater with a ko4, and things like downpipes are alot cheaper and easier to come across.

Let me know your thoughts,

Cheers, Ben

You can do the fmic, downpipe and tip on the car as it is, then before you get it remapped, decided whether you want to go hybrid or just map it as stage 2.

After seeing the trials and tribulations of Prawns car, I would suggest that Hybrid is an easier option...

The fmic is a must either way, so that cost can be taken out of the equation

Hey Reesy,

Yeah i know I could modify the car as it is, but the downpipe alone is going to cost £250+.
I wondered If i going to spend the money whether I should go for it and change the turbo to a more usable one!
The hybrid route is always possible, but it may be more convential to use to ko4?

What have you going planned for your motor?
I want to be using this one as a track car by next year - I have got alot to do.

Hey Reesy,

Yeah i know I could modify the car as it is, but the downpipe alone is going to cost £250+.
I wondered If i going to spend the money whether I should go for it and change the turbo to a more usable one!
The hybrid route is always possible, but it may be more convential to use to ko4?

What have you going planned for your motor?
I want to be using this one as a track car by next year - I have got alot to do.

I personally was all for getting the k04 on my car, but after seeing Prawns and chatting to Welly about a conversion he did on his mates, he said it was a nightmare job to do, as everything need moving/changing to get it all in properly. This would tempt me towards just Stage 2 and strip the car, or Hybrid if you want even more power, as your already fitted DP and TIP are still useable.

Going to get mine to Stage 2 spec I think, just got some bushes to buy before I get the coilies fitted, and need a MAP sensor pipe before I can get the FMIC fitted, and then enjoy the car for a bit I think.

I know ive asked you this before on another thread, but the limiting factor on the ko3s/quattro setup is the downpipe.
If i were to go down the ko3s hybrid route then whcih DP would i use?
I dont know alot about hybrid turbochargers, would it be possible to use the ko4 housing and therefore be able to use a 3" aftermarket ko4 DP?

I know ive asked you this before on another thread, but the limiting factor on the ko3s/quattro setup is the downpipe.
If i were to go down the ko3s hybrid route then whcih DP would i use?
I dont know alot about hybrid turbochargers, would it be possible to use the ko4 housing and therefore be able to use a 3" aftermarket ko4 DP?

The downpipe is the limiting factor on many cars, it's just that for ours aftermarket DP's are not easy to get hold of, and because of this they aren't cheap. the 42 Draft Designs one looks a very well made bit of kit, or leave the car with an exhaust place/tuning garage that have someone make exhausts and see what they can do, as long as it isn't fit a 3" pipe and then 1/2 it through the tight part by the prop!!

If you use a k04 housed hybrid, you need to adjust all the pipes etc same as you would a normal k04, as well as buying a k04 manifold, meaning that a ported K03 mani and decent DP aren't going to be much cheaper. There are varying stages of Hybrid, so 260-270 is not unachievable.

with a k03s hybrid, you used the same downpipe, tip etc as the k03

only things that change is maf injectors, turbo and fuel pump

Having done a K03 to K04 conversion, I wouldn't want to do it again.

Ever.

Not a nice or fun job.