Quick TIP fitting question

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
I'm fitting my badger 5 TIP and just wondered if it is advisable to raise the car up to access the turbo. The air filter box is removed which gives a surprising amount of room but the turbo is nestled away at the rear of the engine making it hard to access. I do not have axle stands so just wondering if I should put it all back together and entrust my fitting to someone with the correct tools....?

I didnt raise it up. Just can take abit of time making sure the pipe is on the adaptor fully and then the clip is on straight and correct too.

Yeah I've got the guide, cheers guys. Looks like I've gone past V1 anyway (point of no return) because the bit on my old TIP that joins to the hose at the base of the hockey puck had perished and was hanging by a thread!

Argh....these ****** one use clips....damn you Audi!!! My poor fingers, they're so hard to remove!!!!

Best removed with a thin flat screw driver and pliers to save your fingers lol.

Yessss.....ok TIP off and only two trips to Halfrauds needed :) Now to clean up the turbo inlet and onto the refit. My old standard TIP was very soft at the top and had perished at the base of the joining hose from the hockey puck.

I can't believe how much of a gaping hole I now have. Refitting should be easier than removing the original 9 yr old part. Will let you know how I get on. I'm not rushing and if needed I can finish tomorrow :)

Well it's on and the car is driving really nicely. I'm not a rude boy in anyway but it does sound good! I noticed when I lift off my 007P makes a light TSSHH noise. It currently has the green spring and my car is Revo'd.

Should I put my yellow spring in to hold boost for longer?

Also I didn't fit the heat shield. Should I bother or is the effort not really worth it?

Will post pics of my install later this evening, right now I'm going to make use of the sunshine and give the mule a wash.

Well it's on and the car is driving really nicely. I'm not a rude boy in anyway but it does sound good! I noticed when I lift off my 007P makes a light TSSHH noise. It currently has the green spring and my car is Revo'd.

Should I put my yellow spring in to hold boost for longer?

Also I didn't fit the heat shield. Should I bother or is the effort not really worth it?

Yes mate definitely put the yellow spring in and possibly shim it up too... My S3 is standard and I've got the yellow spring in mine. The green one is just pants. Designed for low-blow 4psi A3 1.8 turbos ;) lol

Also fit the heat shield... It's well worth it to avoid heat soak, I also recommend fitting another cold air feed... Speak to Customboy about his. His looks well up to the job.

Ben

Last edited:
fit the heatshield! thats what its for AND it supports the filter/MAF which could otherwise tear the filter neck

Yeah, I'm going to fit the heat shield. I need to trim the TIP a little bit more so it's a good fit. I'm really impressed with the pipe. It's uber strong and the new filter (coupled with a 007P) is simply awesome.

Thank you, Badger Sir!

Yeah I've got the guide, cheers guys. Looks like I've gone past V1 anyway (point of no return) because the bit on my old TIP that joins to the hose at the base of the hockey puck had perished and was hanging by a thread!

Argh....these ****** one use clips....damn you Audi!!! My poor fingers, they're so hard to remove!!!!

lol i feel your pain mate try fixing hoses under the inlet mani... but neway try use pliers should make the job easier but yeah 1 time use only sodding Audi

So....this was my old standard 9 year old turbo inlet pipe. It was saggy, floppy and had a gaping hole in it.

img0709n.jpg

This was the final result of fitting Badger's amazing silicone TIP, heat shield and Jetex cone filter. I spent a long time installing it and was really thinking I was out of my depth at times, but at the end of the day, you're only removing hose clips and re-attaching. It just takes a damn long time to get it to sit nicely as the pipe is so big it's a tight squeeze. I wanted to keep my hoses as kink-free as possible so spent time re-routing a few. The heat shield required some cutting to make it fit my TIP perfectly without putting strain on the pipe. The heatshield also provides a lot of support to the TIP and everything feels really solid. I also installed the yellow spring into the 007P.

Looks pretty good I reckon.....and what a difference to the performance!!! My car was only running 240bhp after the remap and a new TIP was recommended. I fitted the Badger5 v2 80mm and a Forge 007P. The sound is brilliant and the throttle performance and pull is super. This is the best mod money can buy (apart from a re-map) - Now to get her on the rollers again :)

img0728j.jpg

I'm so glad I fitted it all myself - it's most rewarding, kept me out of mischief and gives me the confidence to try other mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danman1
Well done mate - got mine (v1) in the garage waiting to go on. Struggling to find the time to do it properly without unwanted help form the kids or getting rained on...