Cruise and sat nav help

Dubport

Reaction score
Hi, I have just carried out some mods on my MY2010 sportback 2.0 tdi S-line black edition in ibis white, I fitted the cruise stalk and bottom steering cowl then took it to Audi to get coded, they came back and told me it was missing a wire from the steering wheel control unit to the ecu, the wire did come along with the kit but clearly states in the booklet that it's only TT's that need the wire! I also double checked with TPS who I bought the kit from and they checked my chassis no. With the kit and reckoned it didn't need the extra wire!

Anybody had any experience with this?

I have also retrofitted the sat nav plus unit which is a superb bit of kit, but I didn't get the sat nav disc with it, could anyone supply me with a 2012 copy???

Also wondering if the nav part would work if I copied the nav files onto a sd card and used one of the slots to power the sat nav???

Anyone got a PDF file with the instruction manual for the head unit??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on the above queries.

Some pic's
audia3pics002.jpg

audia3pics001.jpg

audia3pics003.jpg

audia3pics004.jpg

audia3pics005.jpg

audia3pics006.jpg

audia3no2004.jpg

audia3no2005.jpg

Some pic's of the Towbar and skirt combo i fitted earlier.

audia3no2013.jpg

audia3no2011.jpg

audia3no2010.jpg

audia3no2009.jpg

audia3no2008.jpg

audia3no2007.jpg

Pic's of the new Sat nav unit and cruise stalk fitted.

audialloys015.jpg

audialloys016.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mate, you DO NOT need the wire especially being a 2010 model. I am guessing Audi either are chatting crap or are just trying to get more cash out of you. I have done tons of CC installs so know what I am talking about.
Nige(NHN) and jb0o(Jonny) will confirm this also.
Where are based mate as I am sure there is someone near by who will code for a fraction of the price Audi charge!
I am in north London if of any use to you?

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I thought The main stealer was taking the michael!!!
Im based in Aberdeenshire so very limited to cruise installers!
Why would Audi tell you it needs the wire when it doesn't!,!

They also said it had to be hooked to their computer to access info. In the ecu and had to be done through Germany??????

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to build up some scotland work tbh, so if you cant get it sorted then maybe PM me to see if that work comes of.

The wire should be fitted as per Danny's post, so seems strange, then again audi themselves change there minds more than often, so maybe yours hasnt got it fitted.

They're correct evereything at dealership goes via germany, but it doesnt need to with vcds, just vas & the new odin dealers use, to code for various things, but thats the procedures dealers have to adhere to, to be a dealer, so audi can keep tags on your car.

RNS-E will not allow mapping via anyother form except DVD.

As for manual, tbh mate if you're competent in fitting the parts for cruise, you wont need a manual for head unit, its all self insanitory :)

Reactions: cubby
Again thanks for all the help.

So you think if i get someone with vcds i could get it coded without going to the main stealer???????

Ok so i have to have the sat nav disc in to allow navigation, thats a pity.

Do you know if anyone has discs available to buy?

How can I confirm if my car has the wire or not?????????

Only way to check wire is to visually check by inspecting the connector, which is obviously plugged into rear of the steering cu behind the cowling.

Yes vcds can code cruise.

Nav discs are available from AUDI.

When I stripped the cowl to fit the stalk I checked all the pins were full, but someone mentioned the wire could be in behind the cowl but terminate at the bottom of the steering column and not continue onto the engine bay and ecu???

Have you had experience with this?????

I think the only way to check is to strip the plug at the ecu end which I don't want to do due to security bolts etc.!!!!

When I stripped the cowl to fit the stalk I checked all the pins were full, but someone mentioned the wire could be in behind the cowl but terminate at the bottom of the steering column and not continue onto the engine bay and ecu???

Have you had experience with this?????

I think the only way to check is to strip the plug at the ecu end which I don't want to do due to security bolts etc.!!!!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/smalle...scottish-region-members-list.html#post1539230

If you look in there, there are two or three guys with Full VCDS in here that can do the coding in Aberdeenshire. :)

NHN:1547987 said:
Nav discs are available from AUDI.

For about £250, I got mine from the bay of fleas for considerably less. It was from Lithuania, ergo copied, but works perfectly

Nope its about £200 for the 2012 2 dvd's.

Thanks again for all the help it's much appreciated. I hope to hear from some of the guys up beside me who could potentially code my cruise.

I will keep you up to date with progress!

Big Big shout out to S4quatt, (Wayne) who coded in my cruise tonight, and Danny9k for some technical help, and I cannot believe what a bunch of numpties there are working at Audi!!!!
As I mentioned above I booked the car into the main dealer to get the cruise coded in, then after 3 hours of sitting around in the showroom the service manager came back and told me there was no way the cruise would work as the extra wire wasn't run to the ecu!!!

Well after a few stern e-mails back and forth with Audi customer service at Milton Keynes turns out the car doesn't need the wire!!!!

So after a short trip to S4quatt's house and an hour scratching our heads and a few phone calls later we had it working no problem!!!!

So much for the main dealer then!!!!!!!!

Great to just jump in and have a go yourself!!!!!!

Big Big shout out to S4quatt, (Wayne) who coded in my cruise tonight, and Danny9k for some technical help, and I cannot believe what a bunch of numpties there are working at Audi!!!!
As I mentioned above I booked the car into the main dealer to get the cruise coded in, then after 3 hours of sitting around in the showroom the service manager came back and told me there was no way the cruise would work as the extra wire wasn't run to the ecu!!!

Well after a few stern e-mails back and forth with Audi customer service at Milton Keynes turns out the car doesn't need the wire!!!!

So after a short trip to S4quatt's house and an hour scratching our heads and a few phone calls later we had it working no problem!!!!

So much for the main dealer then!!!!!!!!

Great to just jump in and have a go yourself!!!!!!

Was it Aberdeen Audi you went to ? :slapped:

Yes it sure was!!!!!Cannot believe what has actually gone on!!!!!As I said, two guys with a laptop sat in the car with a 240 extension lead out the front door of the house, that had never done this before and working with stuff printed off the net, did the coding in an hour with a little help from some forum members, that the main stealer couldn't do in 3.5 hours of having the car then came back and said it couldn't be done because there wasn't an extra wire to run to the ecu!!!!!The whole thing was laughable!!!!!Why don't we have faith in our main dealers??????????

Yes it sure was!!!!!Cannot believe what has actually gone on!!!!!As I said, two guys with a laptop sat in the car with a 240 extension lead out the front door of the house, that had never done this before and working with stuff printed off the net, did the coding in an hour with a little help from some forum members, that the main stealer couldn't do in 3.5 hours of having the car then came back and said it couldn't be done because there wasn't an extra wire to run to the ecu!!!!!The whole thing was laughable!!!!!Why don't we have faith in our main dealers??????????
GREAT ! ordered mine through Aberdeen Audi, your tale really fills me with confidence in them :no:
Your car looks really smart, considered white myself but my last 2 Impreza's were white so went for red instead.
I'll look out for you on the road :racer:

Well thats the Main Dealer Service for you!!!

Very confused by the whole thing!!!

Maybe they weren't really interested in doing it! can't understand if it was so easy to do why they didn't charge me the three and a half hours if it only took 10 minutes to do!

They just came back and said there was no way it would work unless the extra wire that came in the cruise kit was run from the Steering column to the ecu in the engine bay, then they would be able to code it in.