Middle east import cars??

StephaneS

Reaction score
As you may have guessed by now I am looking to buy a lhd porsche.
as things go it has to be 4wd as snow will be quite common where I'll be (yes poor me : the alps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif)
I've tested a 993 C4 yesterday which was perfect BUT I just cant cope with the interior which is stuck in the 70's!!! (call me a pussy or hairdresser or whatever, I dont care, it's just too dated!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif)
so it has to be a 996 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I cant find one in my budget and will have to wait for the prices to drop
Problem is I need my injection of speed as since selling the A3 I have been stuck with cheap rental cars and now the polo SDI and I just cant take that no more
so I just found a reliable cheap 4wd sport car as a transition : A mitsu GTO twin turbo with less than 50k miles for £7k. it's in perfect condition but it was originally from the middle east.
what do you guys reckon? Any horror story about middle east cars?

also what kind of problems could I have with MOT and ultimately customs when exporting it to France?

Cheers
Steph

Steph,

I had a MR2 turbo which was imported from the middle East (via Amsterdam then Ireland) which I bought now about 6 year ago.

This was when the imports were first coming to the forefront and initially I had dealer problems sourcing parts.

AFter about a year dealers were supplying parts no problems as long as you quoted all your numbers. (engine codes etc)

Had it for 3 1/2 year and it was great. Couldn't fault it and had no problems with it being an import. It was insured through Admiral and the only downside was that they wouldn't supply a hire car if I had an accident.

I bought an import as they didn't supply the turbo MR2 across here but as I said I enjoyed it immensely and didn't have any problems that I wouldn't have had with a non import.

PS I had no service history with mine either.

Make sure you get a good clean example and you should be fine.

thanks macca
when you say you had problems getting parts, was it because it was an import or because it was lhd?

They most important thing to be aware of IMO is that the car has had or gets a full underbody waxoil or similar treatment.

Often cars sold in **** do not recieve such anti-corrosion treatments as they do not have the corrosiion environments we suffer in europe. Hope this helps.

In my experience of the Middle East, the cars we used had the full protection to the underside & paintwork due to the very high corrosive nature of all those sulphates, and sand......

Steph,

Sorry not been on-line for a few days.

The car was RHD and Fully spec'd up with all electrics, CD/DVD/TV etc. (waste of time IMO)

I initially had problems only with the dealers who really weren't interested in imported cars as they obviously were losing business ! ! ! (or so they thought).

Was really just a time thing with me having to make a few phone calls to them, waiting a few days before they would return them then ordering something and claiming it would take a week or two.

As I said though after about a year the dealers obviously realised there was money to be made through parts/servicing etc. and they were no problems at all. Sometimes being cheaper than the UK models.

As I said I would defo buy another one and looked at an Impreza before buying the A4. Glad I went for the A4 now though.

Good luck in your search. If you need anything else let me know.

my mate got an import toyota hilux from a japanese import garage in warrington.
it was plagued with problems, including head gasket went 1 week after buying it and new engine after 3 months of having it.

no history is the prob. i wouldn't import myself as i would never buy a uk car with no history.

thanks guys,

Just found out that I am gonna have problems importing it in France so it wont be worth it
also found some in France which are slighty more expensive, about 3k.
So I may go down that route but not sure