Can anyone help with this please

sportback A3

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm trying to locate, and find out info regarding what and where a shift solenoid E does?

Any info will be greatly appreciated, ive searched on here to no avail, also googled

Thanks in advance

Sorry should of given this info

54 plate A3 2.0tdi pd140 bkd

Don't know the answer Mark but 'shift solenoid' sounds to me like something used on a dsg gearbox to change gear !! When you flip the steering wheel paddles it must operate something mechanical to change gear !??????

I don't think our cars have one ?????

Hi mike

I think your right! A mate scanned my car with a snapon scanner. As it's a generic scanner I threw up fault codes relating to this solenoid. I've read up and it's sometimes common that such generic scanning devices can mix codes up! Apparently the codes found would relate to pre-heating or glowplug issues. Perhaps the common wiring problem?

My car is smoking quite a bit, it has a boost leak, high pitched hissing, the at 1st thought turbo problem!
It seems to be running rough, intermittent though and bizarrely enough seems to run better on mild/warm days rather than the denser air cold damp days.

Would I be correct in thinking if a glowplug was faulting because of the wire issues will this cause rough running and a smokey unburnt
Diesel due to one cylinder not being as heated as the others? Therefore a diesel misfire type problem?

Mark, the glowplugs only work when you switch the ignition on to heat the fuel for starting purposes. Once started the glowplugs are not in use.

I thought you had VCDS to check the problem but if not just let me know and we can re-scan if you wish.

Did you get the email with the boost pipe part numbers ?