6 Months of Owning an S3 and also a Revo / remap story.

box500

Reaction score
Thought it would be worth posting up my opinions of the S3 having owed it for just over 6 months now.
It is a 2007 model, bought with 28k on the clock from an Audi Dealership with warranty and 2 years free servicing.

Previous car was a Merc CLK500

First impressions:

1. Very light steering but OK at speed.
2. Poor front end grip due to crappy tyres, swiftly replaced with uniroyal rainsports all round.
3. Interior fit and finish all very nice, but of a squeak where passenger door card rubs against dash, sorted with silicone based cleaner.
4. Much noisier than the merc (to be expected to be honest) but I am always hearing things moving around in the boot needs to be sorted with a net or something
5. I missed the auto lights and wipers (big deal, got over it after a few days)
6. Not as much fun (or dangerous) to drive than my MR2 Turbo :whistle2:
7. Merc did between 8mpg and 27mpg. Audi does between 23mpg and 35 mpg depending on driving of course.

Given that I need an understated, practical motorway cruiser with the ability to lug the odd load but also become a B road terrorist on demand, I think it pretty will fulfils my criteria quite nicely.

Now on to it's performance and the remap story:

When I bought it the performance was OK compared to the CLK (also bear in mind I have had faster performance cars in the past). For example a 1300kg impreza with circa 300bhp. I think the CLK is 1900kg with 302bhp and 235 lb/ft of torques.

When I purchased the car from the Audi dealer they did mention they could remap it and retain the warranty.

So after a couple of months of not really being happy with the performance (not being able to make a mark on lesser performance cars acceleration wise etc) I booked it in with the dealership to get it mapped. They charge around a £100 more than a "typical" mapper but I thought it was well worth it to retain the warranty.

15 mins in the Audi dealership, chap comes back out and says "it's already been mapped but I have tweaked it to give about another 10 bhp". Great I though, firstly the dealer sold me a mapped car (fair play they probably had not been aware), and also this so called Performance audi as been already been remapped and is still pants :Flush:

About a month later I did a rolling road session to see how much power and torque it had and sure enough it had just a tad under 290BHP :uhm:

So was it me just being used to the performance, was the handbrake binding ? Nope, was not convinced and I felt the performance was just not there.

Not knowing who put the map on in the first place, but knowing it was a Revo map I decided to bypass all the tuners and book it into Revo HQ for them to take a look.

So I pitched up at Revo this morning, told them the story, first thing they said they would check is if it really did have a revo map on it and take it from there.

Literally 10 mins later the response was "yep got a revo map, unfortunately it is not enabled and the standard map is running". They then enabled the revo map and they took it out for a test drive. All sorted they said. It will be a different animal now.

So bearing in mind it was wet, windy, greasy roads I did a bit of testing on the way back home.

Cor-blimey what a difference !! :rockwoot:

ESP was blinking much more often :blush:

As well as a much more significant push in the back and made the car "feel lighter" which is strange.

4th gear is a revelation.

I actually came to a roundabout carrying much more speed due to the lack of effort in getting there! ABS had a tickle at that one.

So a bug thumbs up to the chaps at Revo for sorting it. They seem very down to earth, friendly and what's more didn't charge me a bean which is great considering it was not a fault with their map just human error or some such on the part of the person who did the mapping.

It does leave on outstanding question.. Why was the rolling road showing 290bhp ???

My only guess was that it is over-reading like an OCD Sci-Fi fan with a Kindle and unlimited access to content !!

Next step is 360 to 380 BHP and the Revo chaps will get my money when I am ready to do the conversion.

Sorry for the long winded post but hey ho :blahblah1:

P1010145.jpg

Good post, with regards to the higher output on the Rolling Road when i got mine remapped the chap at REVO was saying that they can come out of the factory with more BHP and Torque, he said the highest he knows of was a 2.0 TDi Passat 170BHP version with 196BHP from stock!

Cheers, I will do another sesssion on the rolling road to see what change there is..

Revo HQ are always spot on for service, perhaps the Audi dealership would like to make a goodwill payment for not having a clue how to set up you car ?

At the very least a storage pack to solve your movement in the back end LOL !!

Revo invest so much time money and effort in training the franchises I'm astonished when I read threads like this.

Glad to hear it's where you want it. The only people I know who aren't happy with Stage 1 code have usually got other underlying issues with the car, or have bought the wrong map.

Time to enjoy, and great post!

Last edited:
Do you really get the ESP light on with a remap?

Revo HQ are always spot on for service, perhaps the Audi dealership would like to make a goodwill payment for not having a clue how to set up you car ?

At the very least a storage pack to solve your movement in the back end LOL !!

To be fair the Audi dealer didn't charge for the mapping session, sorry forgot to mention that..

Revo invest so much time money and effort in training the franchises I'm astonished when I read threads like this.

Glad to hear it's where you want it. The only people I know who aren't happy with Stage 1 code have usually got other underlying issues with the car, or have bought the wrong map.

Time to enjoy, and great post!

Thanks Warren, as I said it could have just been human error, could have been the original mapper or the chap who fettled it at Audi..

Do you really get the ESP light on with a remap?

You get ESP light on a standard car, all you need to do is give it lots of power whilst turning sharply when it is wet or greasy. I would not expect ESP light to be on in the dry..

Thats a cracking story! :D
Am glad you like it now. I just ain't got the guts to do mine, if I do at all.
Does the remap up the spool point of the turbo in revs? Does it come in later? I hated this on my Subaru and it only went up by 500 rpm but it was enough to be a pain up the a*se. I like the low revs at which the turbo kicks in so I wouldn't want to lose that.

Does the remap up the spool point of the turbo in revs? Does it come in later? I hated this on my Subaru and it only went up by 500 rpm but it was enough to be a pain up the a*se. I like the low revs at which the turbo kicks in so I wouldn't want to lose that.

Not as far as I've noticed, but then I haven't caned the **** off it yet.

Thats a cracking story! :D
Am glad you like it now. I just ain't got the guts to do mine, if I do at all.

Who mapped the subaru ? Unless you are going for big boy turbo there should be no difference in terms of lag IMHO... In my mind lag has always been a by product of huge billy big balls turbos that need tons of revs.

The S3 certainly feels no different in terms of spool, just stronger linear power all the way. I can still get decent performance by short shifting e.g. only use about 1500 to 2000 RPM in each gear.

I recommend that you give it a go, worst case you can always switch back to a standard map.

Well i suppose its to be expected that who ever sold the car to the dealership turned the map down to zero because thats what you would do to get the most money from them so cant blame the dealership for finding a map installed but not knowing its setting off hand without a sps unit and a computer to read it.
Anyway full marks to Revo. for sorting it FOC.
As for esp..lol Yesterday i pulled out of Shoreham airport which puts you invariably at the traffic lights at the start of a 2 mile drag down the A27 duel carriage way. so sitting there next to a TT....I will murder him thinks me :) Lights change...floor it !! four wheel spin, back off. floor it again, four wheel spin again, going nowhere and slewing round off line as well. Back off a bit get some grip and off we go, TT disappeared...........******.
As i collect my thoughts i notice the hand brake light is on....now its only one click and the brake is not actually on at all but my guess is that one click disables all the traction control and ESP etc...
Tried again later and perfect launch with ESP flashing but doing its job......Lesson learned ? release hand brake before pulling away :)
ESP is essential with Stg1 and sometimes not enough, i still find if i floor it up hill when the weight is tipping back i get wheel spin on the front..

Who mapped the subaru ? Unless you are going for big boy turbo there should be no difference in terms of lag IMHO... In my mind lag has always been a by product of huge billy big balls turbos that need tons of revs.

The S3 certainly feels no different in terms of spool, just stronger linear power all the way. I can still get decent performance by short shifting e.g. only use about 1500 to 2000 RPM in each gear.

I recommend that you give it a go, worst case you can always switch back to a standard map.

My Subaru was reasonably modified so was a larger turbo and mapped by one of the best. It still affected the spool point though. But I had a lot of mods. Anyway I am tempted by Revo but I dunno. I would go to Revolution HQ to get it done. I think a phone call is in order! Lol.
I just have to weigh it up against the amount of time I have to spend driving in Specs zones on Nottingham roads. That may stop me doing it.

really is a must to go to stage 1, the difference is amazing without making the car feel fragile in any way.

Nice post! Enjoyed reading that!

As mentioned before, the original owner who remapped it may have returned the values to zeros (stock mode) or another reason maybe that the battery had been disconnected at some point, which also returns the values back to zero (stock mode). Why it does this I will never know, but this is why I purchased the sps dongle.

Well done revo hq for sorting you out. Now your ready to move onto stage 2!