B6 Suggestions?

kriswa428

Reaction score
Hi B6'ers

I've owned a 98 b5 2.8 Q manual for just over 18 months now. Bought it when i was 19 as the first Audi I'd owned and loved every second of it.

I'm soon to be 21 which opens the insurance floodgates and I have around 4.5k to spend (inc the value of my a4) to spend on another Audi.

Has anyone had any expierence with the 3.0 30v manual b6? If so what are your thoughts?? I'd also look at the 1.8t Quattro, is the 163/190 the same apart from a remap?

Cheers in advance.

i would get the 3.0 over the 1.8t but the most reliable and frugal engine is the 1.9tdi.
quattro every time for me, theres no reason not to get quattro.

Go for a 1.8T 190 Quattro S line model, lots of tuning potential looks good and will put a smile on your face,

i would get the 3.0 over the 1.8t but the most reliable and frugal engine is the 1.9tdi.
quattro every time for me, theres no reason not to get quattro.

I see your B6 is quite invisible! 191K and still going strong. My 2.8Q is on 138k and still pulls like a train. I'm just not a diesel man despite their plus points.

Go for a 1.8T 190 Quattro S line model, lots of tuning potential looks good and will put a smile on your face,

Very strong engine the 1.8t 20v, I've though about s3's but I can't bring myself to buying a hatch when I've had a saloon, weird I know. Your 1.8t s-line does look lovely, has the legs on most cars I presume?

1.8T all day long, even after engine mods you will still get good mpg at motorway speed's

3.0 does not have the very common 1.8t sludge problems.
i drove a 150bhp 1.8t and it felt very slow even compared to the 1.9tdi.
id rather have the 3.0, they probably do 30mpg on a run and the 1.8t my work friend had for years was only averaging 35mpg !
i think that a 1.8t quattro would be quite gutless as the 4wd would zap alot of power from the low torque 1.8t.

Last edited:
150, 163 and 190 1.8T's are completely different, different turbos, ecu maps, and specifications, i wouldn't say a 190 is gutless had mine for 5 yrs and i still love driving it, and its very quick, keeps up with most things and surprises alot of others.
Mines on 104,000 and still looks and sounds brand new, keep it well maintained and it will last,
If you buy one make sure that its not on longlife servicing, oil needs changing every 5k or 6mths that solves the sludge problem, timing belts every 70k or 5yrs they are £350 at audi.
As CMD (colin) says cant go wrong with a 1.8T but were probably biased

With the right knowledge the 1.8T will last as long as any other Audi engine.

It's the old battle of 4 cylinder turbo power vs six cylinder grunt, there's no right or wrong answer to it, it's personal preference.

With the right knowledge the 1.8T will last as long as any other Audi engine.

It's the old battle of 4 cylinder turbo power vs six cylinder grunt, there's no right or wrong answer to it, it's personal preference.

Or put the 2 together and have 6 cylinders and a turbo.....

i have but did really like my 3.0 but as said you are very limited in what you can do to them they go well enough if you rev them and are unstressed with no complication of turbo/boost leaks/sludge etc but in quattro form they are thirsty. i personally prefer larger engines but i dont do many miles and you will only really see mid 20's mpg never used to get 30 from mine

imo if you want better mpg with more tunability, go for the 1.8t. if you don't mind a lower mpg and your not planing mods to the engine then the 3.0 is faster than any standard 1.8t.

Gotta say I love my 3.0Q ! It's a fantastic cruiser and lovely to drive ! I really wanted a 1.8 t because of the tunability but I just couldn't find a good one ! Don't get me wrong it's ****** thirsty !!
But when you get into the heated leather seats and plug the iPhone into the Bose stereo it puts a smile on your face !!
And thats coming from a heavily tuned mkV R32 !!

1.8t for me all day long easy and quick to tune..... even if you do or dont tune the options of tuning are endless ???? the question is were are the tuning options for the 3ltr engine.... more 1.8t on the road so if any failures more options to buy second hand parts and if the regular serviced with correct spec oil you'll dodge the sludge oil......my m8's got a 1.8t running 585bhp in a mk2 golf and still does decent mpg when driven sensible... my cupra 1.8t was standard 170bhp and ran sweet with no issues what so ever.......... but the 3ltr does have a nice steady roar in all fairness

Thanks for all your input guys. I have found 2 lovely A4 3.0 Q 6 speeds on autotrader, (see below). Coming from a 2.8Q B5 I am in love with the way it accelerates which is all down to the N/A big power plant. Being 20/21 I feel it's quick enough for the next couple of years and my goal would to have it running at around 250bhp (a feasible figure based on the lack of tuning potential). Please see the two links below and tell me what you think:

2003 AUDI A4 3.0 Quattro Sport [6] 4dr Saloon
2003 AUDI A4 2976 cc QUATTRO SPORT 6 SPEED / STUNNING CAR

The one with the Votex kit is probably the more desirable of the two.

I'm no expert, but short of supercharging how are you going to get 250bhp from a 3.0?

Yeah I thought the black one was very nice. Well they are 220 standard, a good service to get it pushing out as close to that figure as possible to start with. Fast road cams, sport cats + exhaust and an ecu remap should all contribute to around a 30bhp increase. I know remaps only add around 15bhp to N/A 3.0's but every little helps.