A4 Cab Door speaker stopped working, can anyone help?

dblebill

Reaction score
I've got a 2007 A4 2.0 TDI S Line Cab fitted with the original Bose equipment and yesterday the n/s door speaker stopped working, I'm wondering if the wire came off the back of the speaker but today I looked at the door trim and it looks tricky to take off. Anyone got any tips or hints how I can go about fixing this?

Mine does this too. It appears to be an intermittent fault - if you turn the volume up high the speaker starts working again. Sounds weird I know, but it would be worth trying before you take the door cards off!

The wires will have snapped in the rubber boot that goes from the body to the door. Not sure which wires it is but it's a common fault. Mine does it and my dads old b6 used to do it too

Jon - Easy You're right, it is an intermittent fault, after posting this thread I went out the following morning and all was fine and thankfully it's been that way since - fingers crossed. Thanks for responding mate.

Alpesh26 thanks for your reply, after posting the original thread the speaker started to work the following morning and has been that way since so I guess that means the wire has not snapped, but again, thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. Kind regards, Bill

Most likely it's a dodgy contact in the door wiring harness connector. If you gently pull off the rubber boot that protects it you'll be able to squirt some WD40 into the connector (easy way), or pull the connector off (there's a release catch on the side towards the front of the car, then it's probably still gonna be a tight fit - pull hard!) and do it that way. I had this problem with a rear door speaker on my B6 but after pulling the connector and spraying with WD40 (I did all four doors while I was at it) the problem disappeared.

HTH.

Yes its a common fault, stupid design flaw really as there's no need to have a connector buried in the A pillars where you can't easily get to them. Over time the connector gets "dirty" which is why jacking up the volume usually solves the problem as more power overcomes the resistance in the dirty connection.