ESP on or off?

Buzzer

Reaction score
Just wondering what actually happens when you have the ESP on or off?
When giving it the beans going around a bend, with ESP off, is it more likely to
Engage the rear drive more or less, if somebody could explain. Thanks

Better control with ESP

ESP keeps you pointing in the right direction

Audi’s electronic stability program (ESP) is a combination of advanced technologies that helps keep the car under control in more extreme situations such as when you need to avoid an unexpected obstacle in the road. ESP is especially helpful in adverse weather conditions.
When you need to turn quickly and sharply, ESP identifies your intended direction and responds by applying the brakes to individual wheels. It works by using a computer-controlled combination of the following technologies:

ABS

The Anti-lock braking system works by momentarily releasing and then applying the brakes when it detects a skid resulting in reduced stopping distances and being able to turn under emergency braking.

ASR

Anti-slip regulation – or traction control – reduces power to any wheel that is in danger of spinning. Full power is returned when traction is re-established.

EBD

Electronic brake-force distribution works in conjunction with ABS to ensure an even maximum braking force between the front and rear wheels.

Only ever off when sometimes trying to get traction from a standstill in snow or ice. Otherwise always on.
There'll be a load of Hannu Mikkolas along in a bit to tell you that they can handle the car better with it off. Just ignore them:)

ESP saved my *** on Sunday night, 2 deer shot out infront of me just as I was over taking an S5 on a b road, got a big 4 wheel drift on swerving round them. Car felt like it sorted itself out, awesome bit of kit these S3's.

Only ever off when sometimes trying to get traction from a standstill in snow or ice. Otherwise always on.
There'll be a load of Hannu Mikkolas along in a bit to tell you that they can handle the car better with it off. Just ignore them:)

I never have mine on... not because I am a 'Hannu Mikkola' but my car is a complete **** to drive with it on...

<tuffty/>

I never have mine on... not because I am a 'Hannu Mikkola' but my car is a complete **** to drive with it on...

<tuffty/>

i can imagine thats true in the lower gears

i have mine on usually, can be violent sometime but stops the car from losing its composure... which isnt too hard. I turn it off if i want it to launch for giggles or make the tires squeal round corners

It aweful on especially when taking lower speed tight bends the car just bogs down with it on but drives sweet with it off. Can almost be emabarassing when it bogs down. If that makes sence.

Deffo off in snow and off when giving it some beans. :)

Reason why i asked, i gave it some welly going around a large roundabout and it got to a stage were the esp light came on and the car would not accelerate any more, got bogged down. I thought it would have put more power to the rear and let me increase my speed a bit more. A bit let down by the esp, i decided to do the same roundabout at the same entry speed with the esp off, and to my surprise the car seemed so much faster, but with a little bit more under steer.
Now when i say it was a little bit faster, it was the same as my friend in a civic s sport, not a type R.
I honestly thought the S3 with esp and quattro would have been alot better.

ESP is there to keep you on the road not find you new ways off it... its not as intelligent as the shizzle they fir to Evo's etc... its just there to prevent you ditching not turn you into a driving god...

<tuffty/>

ESP is there to keep you on the road not find you new ways off it... its not as intelligent as the shizzle they fir to Evo's etc... its just there to prevent you ditching not turn you into a driving god...

<tuffty/>
nicely put. Just didnt think it would make the car slower, but that is safer , and that means it does work.

Well those of us with pre-facelift APY S3s dont have it, and to be honest have never felt the need for it, the cars got quattro and that surely should do the job just fine by itself

Nige

Well those of us with pre-facelift APY S3s dont have it, and to be honest have never felt the need for it, the cars got quattro and that surely should do the job just fine by itself

Nige

dont you have an ESP button nige??

Pre facelift, represent!

The only button I have on my dash is the rear screen de-mister. :salute:

Bear in mind he's driving a front wheel drive not four wheel drive car, it is impressive though but in terms of TRACTION quattro does a blooming good job and I've never had a issue with traction poulling away or accellerating out of corners on crappy icy slippy roads etc. If you drive like a nut is icy conditions and try agressive maneuvering ESP seems to be an aid but a lot of people find ESP actually interfere when it shouldnt and casues other problems. Just my view of course and as I dont have ESP some may say its a uninformed view, would be keen to hear other views.

This is a pic of my gearknob i took, the esp button is on the dash. What do you have there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Esp off for sure

Even in my rs4 i always turn it off, it steps in far too early in my opinion. Ive also had an issue with it in the past when, I've forgotten to turn it off, thinking I've finished going around a corner as I turn into another and its given me all the power back, then decided it was going to give it all to the back and then cut the power again.

Switchable ESP was optional on pre facelift iirc. Mines on most of the time unless I want to have a bit more fun then I hit the switch and away we go :)

ESP is there for a reason and one of the cars plus points.
Above all lets not forget it's all about safety and not just yours, but others- be it pedestrians or other drivers.

So what if it comes on that fraction of a second earlier than you would like. If your on a race track - do what you like .

It's a good bit of kit to keep you pointing in the right direction, last year in the snow I gave it a test....

Works carpark was completely empty with 3" snow on the ground, with the ESP off I got the car as out of shape as possible at around 20mph then while is was sliding I hit the ESP button and turned it back on. I could feel the car trying to sort out the slide and point it back in the direction the wheels were pointing using individual brakes. Pretty clever stuff

My 2000 APY Pre-facelift has ESP

Definitely saved me in the wet and when i give it stick around corners

Leave mine off mostly because, as allready said, the feeling of restriction put over the car when it kicks in is quite an uneasy feeling. I feel It's better left off so that I can properly perform my gymkhana maneuvers in Cardiff docks and performing high speed 360 spins through traffic light intersections etc

Reactions: Jgould
the manual actually tells you to turn the esp off whens its snowing

normal driving i leave ESP on
out for a play ESP off :racer:

with ESP on.... if you do lose the back end on corners/ roundabouts it cuts in too restrictive cutting power.... natural move is to correct steering and power on but due to the ESP cutting power your left swerving about going wtf....ive been caught out a few times with it in the wet

So ESP off when out for a proper drive no cutting of power ...car also is quicker accelerating out of corners:icon_thumright:

ESP off in the snow, Tiff just showed us why you need it in the snow. Do Audi want you to crash lol

ESP isn't strictly traction control and its rubbish in the snow... I had traction control on my old A4 Avant and it wouldn't let you build enough rpm to even turn the wheels on really slippy stuff...

I just use snow tyres on my Avus's and turn ESP off... simples :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Does the N249 bypass affect ESP and the cars ability to slow down the car?
Or does it use other methods?

I didnt know about the ESP off thing when I first got the car and experienced the snow, it was ok, but not till the year after when I had the ESP off in the snow, believe me when I say it made a difference, it was like night and day, the car just felt so much more controllable and didnt make me think that this isnt a quattro at all.

I usually have the ESP on, only time its off is very rarely when im coming to a busy junction and I know I need to make a quick getaway, then its back on again.

On for normal driving (as I'm too lazy to turn it off every time I get in), off for when I need to make rapid progress. It's too crude a system to be truly effective at speed.

when switched off, is it permanent 4wd or 2wd?