Wheel spiining noise

I

imported_Nigma

Hi,

Pulled out of my driveway onto very icy roads. When i go to apply power i hear a high speed intermitting rattly/clicking kind of noise. It happens when i can't get grip i think.
It only happens on the snow/ice.

Any ideas anyone?

Don't think I have traction control (unless its standard) as i have no on/off button.

when I said traction control I loosely meant all the gubbins that go into distributing power between the wheels in the event of lack of grip. I have a '97 R reg and cannot disable the above electronics also, surely you have had the sensation before when then accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd gear on wet or greasy roads ??

That will be the EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)... it makes a kind of ABS sound. Not pleasent when you dont know what it is. It is, howver a bit of a waste of time!

Rich

I have noticed it before, but put it down to wheel spinning or something. Its only when i had it out today that it was wheel spinning at some points and not making that noise.

Thanks rich, feel at ease now.

[ QUOTE ]
That will be the EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)... it makes a kind of ABS sound. Not pleasent when you dont know what it is. It is, howver a bit of a waste of time!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich is this on all A3s, mines a very early model ( 96 ) and makes a sound like the clutch is slipping ( ie grating noise) if I put quite a bit of power down from a standing start ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich is this on all A3s, mines a very early model ( 96 ) and makes a sound like the clutch is slipping ( ie grating noise) if I put quite a bit of power down from a standing start ?

[/ QUOTE ]
All 1.8T and S3 as faer as i know