Left Xenon pointing at floor, Bumper off? Part No? Easy fix?

chris-edin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Unfortunately my left xenon has started pointing at the floor intermittently.

When I stick the lights on some times it levels, then I start driving and it drops, just seems to be the left xenon.

Other times it wont come up, if i turn the lights on and off a few times it creeps up a bit each time to level then start moving and it drops, again it just seems to be the left one.

From reading around as far as i can see it has sensors on the N/S struts and motors in the lights, the fact that just one light is dropping apparently suggests it is a fault with the motor? Is this right?

Is there any way of checking what is at fault?

Does anybody have a part No and cost for a new motor? And do the xenons need reset once a new motor is fitted?

How easy is bumper and light removal?

I also saw a couple people had just disconnected the auto levelling motors and set them manually, is there any potential problems if i did this?

Thanks for any help and sorry for all the questions :)

Chris

Anybody?

Hoping to get this sorted for the weekend, have a local Scottish VAG run Sunday, might stretch on to the hours of darkness.

Chris

I'm not 100% but I think the bumper doesn't have to come off... But it probably is alot easier to remove it.

Bumper is just held on by a load of screws in wheel arches, 4x plastic poppers along the top and a couple screws in the centre underneath. You then pull the edges over the arch lining and pull to the front of the car, it's really easy once youv done it once.

Sounds like you light has failed somehow, might just be the clip attaching the motor to the inner bit that holds the bulb. I repaired mine but someone hear can source new ones.

To remove the light unit you need a long reach t30 torx bits? Think there are 2 Bolts in each light, you need to pull the light out from one side first. It's all pretty evident when your doing it.

Hope this helps

Undo the automatic headlight adjuster at the back of the headlight, then manually adjust the headlight and see if that works! If it does the automatic adjuster is ******.

Cheers guys.

I'll unplug the adjuster, think I can see the connections, plug on back of xenons closest the grill?

Have a crack tomorrow, see what happens

Cheers Chris

If yours is facelift, then yeah mate.

Yeah facelift mate, just!

Will get them up to level, turning them on and off then unplug / adjust, get the motor replaced when i get a chance :)

Will any warning lights flag up with them disconnected?

Chris

No mate, you'll be fine.

Reactions: chris-edin
Cheers mate.

Have unplugged them and levelled up manually for the time being.

Will get the motor checked / changed out when i get a chance :)

Think mine were pointing a bit low so followed this guide last night and gave both motors, sliders and PCB a good clean and they seem to be a bit better now and if i sit on the boot and turn the lights on the adjust down and then if i get off the boot and turn them on again they move back up so looks like its doing what it should.

Thanks for the guide it was very useful and informative especially on getting the little ball on the end to go back into the rail when re-fitting.