Human turbo timer

Pearcyy

Reaction score
As title suggests, do people let their tubby cool down before turning the car off? how long do you usually give it?

When I stop the car to get out I usually give it a minute at idle then switch the engine off.

They have a coolant after run motor that is supposed to help with this (if its working) s3s do anyway, not sure on an A3

After long or hard drives, I usually give it a minute but sometimes you can still hear a fan or something running afterwards?

I just don`t nail it all the way home, cruise the last mile or 2 under 3000 rpm.

+1 This is exactly what i do... last few miles of my journey are spent in the 'wind down zone' lol

+2 let the car wind down after good beating for last mile

Reactions: Inertiauk
As S3Dave mentions, they have an auxillary coolant pump that cools the turbo down after the engine is switched off. It performs exactly the same function as sitting and idling for a few minutes does, but saves you petrol and wasting time, there is no benefit in doing the latter or fitting turbo timers. Just ensure it works, you'll hear it running like a quiet fan noise without the engine on.

It is a good idea though as others have said, not to nail it right up to your doorstep and give the car a "run-down" for the last mile or so home.

Last edited:
As S3Dave mentions, they have an auxillary coolant pump that cools the turbo down after the engine is switched off. It performs exactly the same function as sitting and idling for a few minutes does, but saves you petrol and wasting time, there is no benefit in doing the latter or fitting turbo timers.

I didn't actually know that there was an auxillary coolant pump, though I had heard the fan after turning the car off, I always just thought it was the normal car fan. No more sitting in the car after a journey for me :D

do yourself an experiment.. Best done at dusk..
find your local hill, and belt up it.. get to the top and stop (leave engine on!) and open bonnet and see the glow... and see how long it takes to go away. then remember when you switch off the oil supply what its sta next to heat wise..

its quite a spectacle!

is that an xs power manifold that welly has in the second video??

do yourself an experiment.. Best done at dusk..
find your local hill, and belt up it.. get to the top and stop (leave engine on!) and open bonnet and see the glow... and see how long it takes to go away.

I thought I'd do this this evening just to show people the pics!

Down a half mile hill near my house, round the roundabout at the bottom, and back up flat out, pulled over, and took this pic:

photo1.jpg

Pretty glowing! And that's after about 30 seconds of thrashing. Can't imagine what it'd be like after a track session!

And still, around 3 minutes later, both the manifold and turbo are STILL glowing!

photo2.jpg

That's a stage 2 ko3S at around 20psi

? does the turbo have water cooling ? if not how will the coolant pump help ,
walking down the turbo for the last few miles is always a good idea , switching off after a hammering could be a problem because the oil circulation stops, oil cools the bearings and as the turbo is very hot it can burn off the standing oil left in the turbo allowing the turbo to spin down with dry bearings the turbo will spin for a while after the engine is switched off

Rob

walking down the turbo for the last few miles is always a good idea , switching off after a hammering could be a problem because the oil circulation stops, oil cools the bearings and as the turbo is very hot it can burn off the standing oil left in the turbo allowing the turbo to spin down with dry bearings the turbo will spin for a while after the engine is switched off

Rob

K03 and K04 turbos have water cooling and the after run pump (which runs all the time when the ignition is on I believe) will help but ultimately and especially on journal bearing turbo's such as the K03/4 its good practice to warm the engine prior to giving the beans and warming down before turning off the engine... the after run pump will (unless you have a prob with it) continue to run for 5 to 10 mins after circulating coolant around the turbo...

<tuffty/>

Rob

I think its more of a case that the oil will bake on the bearings/housing if stopped suddenly after a blast....

didnt know these turbo's were water cooled you learn something new every day , dave's baking oil is a better way of what i was trying to say above
all in all we agree a cool down is a good idea to extend turbo life

Rob

As S3Dave mentions, they have an auxillary coolant pump that cools the turbo down after the engine is switched off. It performs exactly the same function as sitting and idling for a few minutes does, but saves you petrol and wasting time, there is no benefit in doing the latter or fitting turbo timers. Just ensure it works, you'll hear it running like a quiet fan noise without the engine on.

Hmmm....

I'm sure mine did this when i first got the car but cant say I've heard it in a while

Is there a fuse or something i should have a look at?

Pretty much a good idea to get the oil up to temp before thrashing it on any car. 80c+ from memory. The oil/water exchanger helps it get up to temp quicker but oil won't give full protection until it's up to temp. Most people seem to ignore this though.

That's pretty much the only feature I use on liquid guage on a regular basis (every time I drive it), apart from maybe AIT's but they are always sub 30c so its boring to watch. Whereas Oil I can get to 98c odd.

Hmmm....

I'm sure mine did this when i first got the car but cant say I've heard it in a while

Is there a fuse or something i should have a look at?
Unfortunately they just stop working, you can try tapping them but ultimately its a new pump, luckily you are not tied to audi for this as the pump was made for many manufactures inc Vauxhall (omegas) about £40 on ebay

Unfortunately they just stop working, you can try tapping them but ultimately its a new pump, luckily you are not tied to audi for this as the pump was made for many manufactures inc Vauxhall (omegas) about £40 on ebay

Or £127 from the stealers!!!

Ohhhh I do wish i found this site earlier, considering I paid top wack for mine! lol

daaamn that thing is glowing. Looks cool though. might try mine later

Hmmm....
]I'm sure mine did this when i first got the car but cant say I've heard it in a while

It didn't, because it doesn't have one!

You'll be lucky finding it to tap, because it doesn't exist!

Only S3's / LCR's and such like have the after-run pump, A3's do not get such a device.

ibiza's have em too...

clearly all the classy cars have them :p

Apparently thats right, aren't they the 180bhp engines also fitted to the A3? It's bizzare in that case that they decided to fit the pump to a SEAT and then not to the A3 with the same engine.

there are a fair few differences between the 150bhp ibizas and the 150bhp A3's like the dual port actuators, and ibizas having map sensors on older ECU's when teh A3's didn't......

I'm sure the 180bhp leon cupra doesn't have the after-run pump either? I don't think I've ever heard it on Bobs leon!

So do we know why some VAG's do and some don't have the after-run pump?

Any way/point of retro-fitting?

I'm sure the 180bhp leon cupra doesn't have the after-run pump either? I don't think I've ever heard it on Bobs leon!

yeah, apparently only the LCR had them, not the LC....but the Ibiza definately did for some strange reason, go figure!?

MkIV Golf GTis don't seem to have them either.

My mind boggles...

Apparently thats right, aren't they the 180bhp engines also fitted to the A3? It's bizzare in that case that they decided to fit the pump to a SEAT and then not to the A3 with the same engine.

no ibiza's mainly came with little k03 and 156bhp as std in mk3 form. they did do the limited ibiza cupra-r which was 180bhp, with brembos but they also were k03 with factory remap essentially.

no ibiza's mainly came with little k03 and 156bhp as std in mk3 form. they did do the limited ibiza cupra-r which was 180bhp, with brembos but they also were k03 with factory remap essentially.

So a few Ibizas did, most didn't then. It still doesn't follow any logic, or does it..?

It didn't, because it doesn't have one!

You'll be lucky finding it to tap, because it doesn't exist!

Only S3's / LCR's and such like have the after-run pump, A3's do not get such a device.

There was definitely a noise coming from under the bonnet (sounded like some sort of motor running) after i tuned the car off mate :think:

Are the fans meant to run for a while after?

yeah mine dont all the time..sometimes if i even just reverse back to get car out the garage and turn it off the motor kicks in for a few mins.