Throttle bodies & Kent Cams

SuziA3

Reaction score
would like to put throttle bodies and Kent cams on a 1.8 A3 non turbo, just a basic A3 8L.

Can it be done? Has anybody done it? And where can I go to buy these from?

throttle bodiescan be done... whether an inlet manifold is suitable without making one to suit is a question I have.
Knowing these things intimately, whats your budget in your mind vs power gains you wish to make from this if you dont mine me asking?

Bill knows his stuff.

Ultimately anything is possible if you chuck enough cash at it, and if you are desperate to have a high power normally aspirated engine. However if you put the several £k it will cost together with the current value of the car, you could buy something with a 1.8T, tune it to more than you can get from cams and TB, and still have cash left over.

My Cordoba (a 2.0 16v originally with 150bhp) has Schrick 268 Cams; TSR 4-1 manifold; Polish/port head;machined throttle body; filter and cold air feed; oh, and a remap to make the most of all that. I'm getting mid 180 bhp from that which is about the max you'll get before going to TB which will get you up to 200bhp. I got most of the parts second hand but it still cost a couple of £k to do. The Cordy is a car for track days and I enjoy it not being a turbo; however I could have had a quicker car for less money had I gone for the 1.8T route.

The performance aspect of the NA engined A3s has been discussed many times, and has always drawn the same conclusion:
Sell and get a 1.8T or less preferably swap a 1.8T into the car.

Selling is the best option as brakes and suspension will need to be uprated really if you swapped a 1.8t in, so it's already taken care of. Even if you sold at a loss you'd still have more power and probably wouldn't be too far off getting a 1.8t. If you insurance won't jump up and you're capable then an engine swap is another option.

Not exactly the answer you were after I'm sure.

Lol all opinions are welcome. I dont really like the turbos as when they go wrong they go wrong! Lol I can get most parts trade prices as my partner works as a mechanic and my brother does body repairs etc so labour I wouldn't have to pay for just parts. Would obs have to do bits by bits, just like my hubby has. But he does it.. So can I :) lol everybody's got a turbo, i want different. At first was guna do a V6 change, but finding a decent engine is hard!! So given up on that though, according to the hubby I can have throttle on her. It's just finding them...?

A for uprating everything I already know, ATM insurance is cheap .. 2 yrs driving 21 fully comp and I'm paying just under £800.

Wouldn't mind a carbon bonnet they look sexy :) I want it to look good. Not cheap or tatty, would love a
S3 but finding one thats been looked after is hard, well mines not bad for the price I paid and what I got it's fantastic so better
of just improving this one :D

I Wana do something different, something not slot of people have done!!!!

i had a similar dilemma with last car get boddies etc as didnt fancy turbo as they seem to break but since owning the a3 quattro i found it to be a great engine minor problems "touch wood" if you want something different why dont ya supercharge your engine as ive not seen many of those about.

Reactions: SuziA3
I Wana do something different, something not slot of people have done!!!!

There's a reason that people tend to go down the same sort of routes with regards to performance mods as a tried and tested method is usually easier and cheaper to go for.

If you're going to spend £££££ on TBs and management then an engine transplant would be better if you really want significantly more power.

There's a reason that people tend to go down the same sort of routes with regards to performance mods as a tried and tested method is usually easier and cheaper to go for.

If you're going to spend £££££ on TBs and management then an engine transplant would be better if you really want significantly more power.

Do you know what engines can just drop in?

a 2.8 4motion motor would in theory drop straight in, 212bhp, naturally aspirated, and a soundtrack to die for.....

That could be quite cool, a modern day incarnation of the golf VR6!

Do you know what engines can just drop in?
There are many people far more knowledgeable than me but a 1.8t isn't a bad option, a remap and a few small mods will see decent gains in power but it's a lot of work. Maybe selling up and getting an S3 before you start spending too much on your current car!

should have bought a beember or something if u wanted a fast NA engine

a 2.8 4motion motor would in theory drop straight in, 212bhp, naturally aspirated, and a soundtrack to die for.....

That could be quite cool, a modern day incarnation of the golf VR6!

Would the 3.2 fit ok, powering the front wheels?
Would be interesting... Rob a crashed R32 or 3.2 TT and get the brakes/ARBs etc too...

I think that'd be a great 8L project!

I'm not doing it for speed. I'm doing it cos I Wana do something different! Lol it's fast as it is.
I don't get it... it's fast as it is but you wanted cams and throttle bodies to be different :uhm: