MPG and weather

Cabbyfan

Reaction score
Odd one this... I have a 2003 2.4 cab. On a typical commute to work my DIS says I'm doing about 24 to 27 mpg once I'm warmed up. On very sunny days I can average 30 mpg on the DIS. Paper calculations seem to support over the last 6 months I am doing 24 mpg average.

Is this mpg normal and is there a possible sensor issue meaning higher ambient temp gives a better mpg .....

Comments appreciated.

I would expect mpg to be slighty better in summer than mid winter but surprised that there are any daily variations due to modest change in temp.Maybe your car takes longer than it should to warm up and perhaps the stat is not 100%

Gets to 90 degrees fairly quickly, I had the thermostat replaced when the cambelt was done 6 months ago. It's a weird one...

Gets to 90 degrees fairly quickly, I had the thermostat replaced when the cambelt was done 6 months ago. It's a weird one...
Had you noticed this before the stat was changed?Could it be something else that is due to higher air temp tyre pressures/aircon/ roof down?

I had the stat changed within a month of buying the car at new year so can't say I'm afraid. Roof up or down doesn't seem to make a difference, same with Eco on or off. Maybe it's just driving in different gears...

Do you think driving style changes if the sun comes out?Maybe we dont want to rush so much?